Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: my brother just had a severe spinal cord injury!

Quote Originally Posted by cdurfee99 View Post
    scinurse-
    the REALITY is if you are paralyzed after a year, let's say, the story is set in stone!! The realty of practice and research tells us that chronic sci is waaaay to complicated to even grasp, let alone to try to ( gasp ) reverse. There is a 1000% more liklihood that a time machine will be built, which can transport one with a sci to their pre-sci days of happiness for at least a few hours. I am not trying to be overtly negative, this is the way I feel, and as of now, this is the way it is and always will be.
    I'm sorry it was that way for you. Every injury is different, though. For you to state that no return can happen after 6 months is to call many of us liars.

I guess I'm a cure charlatan, as I got a LOT of recovery from about 4 weeks post injury to 15 months post. Then SOME recovery up until 2 years post.

Christina, your brother is likely still in the stage some of us call spinal shock. The cord is still so swollen that a prognosis is basically impossible to make, unless it was literally severed by a knife, or blasted to bits with a bullet. As the swelling subsides, he may recover some movement and or sensation. Or he may not.

What level is his injury? Have they labeled him as complete or incomplete? How was he injured? Did he sustain other serious injuries as well? Is he now stable?

HE NEEDS TO BE TURNED IN BED EVERY 2 HOURS. This is critical, to prevent pressure sores (bedsores) which can severely limit him in rehab. You need to get him into the BEST rehab possible. It's more important to receive good rehab than to be close to family. People have trouble believing that, but it's true. Rehab sets the stage for the rest of his life.

33 is kind of the average age of SCI, or very near it. I was 40; I know dozens that were in their teens. It's an equal-opportunity offender.

At 1 week post sci, I had no finger movement and I could move 1 toe. I could bend and lift my arms. Couldn't sit up. Now I have about 85% finger function in 1 hand. The other I use via tenodesis. Before I got another illness, I could walk 1/4 mile. It took a lot of rehab and hard work, but my injury was incomplete and I worked like a crazy woman.

Trust me, this ordeal has only just begun. All is not lost. Read all you can and ask any questions. We like to help and will be here for you.

Pls disregard any bitter angry posts you may encounter. This is a devastating injury, no doubt. People deal in different ways. It is unfortunate that any person should post spew their venom in this forum, but that's the internet for you.

Way to go on the positive thinking cdurfee.........why would you post this for a new injury to see? It is only your BELIEF and has nothing to do with science or reality for other people.

Hope

There is always hope. I feel sorry for those unable to see it this way. I know that the road is rough for many; however, dashing the hopes of someone who is newly injured is just wrong. Nobody can "know" what the ultimate end result will be for any individual case. I got additional return for over two years. I was told that there were many things I would likely never do again, but they were wrong. I walk like a regular person (for the most part), I have bowel and bladder function and can do what most regular people can. I'm not saying every story ends this way, but dang it....let a newly-injured person hold onto this hope in their efforts do maximize recovery. You tell your brother to hang in there and work hard!

Cool I received sensory and some motor function

over the 1st 12 years. Everyone is different. I've been a SCI for 32 years. And I don't talk out of my a$$ like a know-it-all. Geez some of you posters are so negative no wonder I seldom post.
    Lynarrd Skynyrd Lives

I know a man (C5) at Project Walk who works out with my son who came there 10 years post in a power chair. He now has been working out three years and is taking steps using a walker. My son has been injured 1 1/2 years and gets new function back almost monthly. It's a slow process but my son lives his life very encouraged. He's a C5 also who started out a "complete" and now has sensation down into his glutes. His abs, triceps, quads and hamstrings have all come back since working out at Project Walk. We're very encouraged and motivated to get the word out.

ChristinaK, sorry to hear your brother has joined us. As you can tell there is a wide variety of people here and most want to help. To keep myself focused, I try to do something everyday to make sci life a little better tomorrow. How small didn't matter because once we join this SCI marathon you can't stop. Keep positive for him.

I was 34 when I received my SCI. As a matter of fact, today is my two year anniversary. There are some days I think I will get better and others that I do not but in your brothers case you wont know until time passes how he spends that time is what matters. He has had a life changing event. There is one certainity and that is he has had trauma to his body. There is not one here or in the Medical community that will know how much better he will get but whatever he is left with he will adjust. We all adjust wether we have an SCI or not. Life is about change and adjustment to circumstance. How we deal with that defines us as humans and as a society. Tell your brother to embrace hope and work his ass off in rehab.

TMAZ

Quote Originally Posted by cdurfee99 View Post
    scinurse-
    the REALITY is if you are paralyzed after a year, let's say, the story is set in stone!! The realty of practice and research tells us that chronic sci is waaaay to complicated to even grasp, let alone to try to ( gasp ) reverse. There is a 1000% more liklihood that a time machine will be built, which can transport one with a sci to their pre-sci days of happiness for at least a few hours. I am not trying to be overtly negative, this is the way I feel, and as of now, this is the way it is and always will be.
    That was not my experience. I continued to improve for 5 years and am now 34 years post C4 injury. I don't walk all the time anymore because of aging issues, back surgery and rotator injury to my good shoulder. When you let go of hope and gratitude you are responsible for sealing your own destiny !