Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: TiLite Aero Z Being Delivered TODAY!!!

Hi Seenkid,
    Sorry I didn't reply to you earlier...I was in a rush to get out the door. Its always good to get feedback like yours. I was super excited to get my chair and as soon as the DME left I loaded it in my car and went to take it for a test ride.

McDuff,
    I got the pictures attached now. I had tried to upload them from Photobucket this morning but the pictures just came up as a ? (question mark).
    I called NSM and left a message for my RTA's secretary. Hopefully he will give me a call back soon to go over the things that need adjusting. I realized that having my footplate too wide (instead of having it tapered) is a safety concern. When I turn right in my chair my left foot slides to the far side of the footrest and almost off the chair. I REALLY don't want to run over myself!! Also, my chair does not fit under the tables at school, so I need to bring the front end down somehow. Since this is my first chair IDK if there is a way for me to do that easily. I know that I can add more dump to the back. Will that lower the front any?
    Now I am just in the process of trying to get things tweaked to my liking. I think the COG needs to come forward just a hair. Still a little front heavy. I have decided that if (when) the DME has to take my chair to have TiLite replace it I will ask for a demo chair to be sent so that I don't have to go back to the "hospital grade" wheelchair for another 3 weeks. It is so much easier to propel myself in the ultralight chair. Also, I am INDEPENDENT with my Aero Z, I don't have to ask someone (usually a stranger) to get my chair in/out of the car for me. Now that I have this independence I would like to keep it!!
    Hope everyone had a great day! I am off to a Scoliosis Association board meeting.
    Mandy
    ~Mandy~
    SCI as a result of spinal surgery
    TiLite Aero Z!!!

Curvy,

You should complain on anything that is not right, even if you have to send it back and wait a couple weeks or months. I think it will be well worth it in the end because really that will be your chair for the next few years. I am dealing with something similair. I ordered some new spinergy wheels but didn't buy the axles or tires. When I went to order my axles, well go figure they are out of stock and have to wait 2 weeks.

Good luck with your chair I really like the back rest. What kind of back is it?
    T-7 Complete
    "If you don't like something, change it; if you can't change it, change the way you think about it."

Yo, good looking chair, I like the orange color.

Yes you can lower the front. See where the casters are bolted in? There are higher holes you can switch them to that will drop your front. It looks like your footplate is high enough and can come down w/o scraping, but keep an eye out to make sure you don't catch it on something. If you drop the front, you will want to drop the back to keep your dump the same.

Yeah that footplate is way too wide. Not sure I've ever seen a chair that had no taper at all, the DME must have screwed up the order.

Also, by looking at it, I'd say they ordered the 80 degree front end, not 85. Remember to have them switch this too if you wanted 85, when you reorder.

e.t.a. You might want to read thru my "order" thread. The Ti order form is a little confusing, especially dealing with footrest widths. You want to make sure the DME knows what to order.
    http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthread.php?t=113807
    Last edited by McDuff; 04-10-2009 at 10:06 AM.
    "a T10, who'd Rather be ridin'; than rollin'"

send it back. that frt end is goofy.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

If it is not what you wanted...by all means send it back. You have to sit in it for several years, so why be uncomfortable, taking risks of feet getting run over, etc? Definitely send it back.
    "Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot nothing's going to get better. It's not." - Dr. Seuss

If a chair showed up on my step and it had even one spec wrong, it would be going back. They screwed up your chair. It can't just be tweaked. You need a whole new frame. Someone botched your chair. Don't even let them push you into keeping something you don't like. Send that friggin' thing back.

Quote Originally Posted by McDuff View Post
    Yeah that footplate is way too wide. Not sure I've ever seen a chair that had no taper at all, the DME must have screwed up the order.

Also, by looking at it, I'd say they ordered the 80 degree front end, not 85. Remember to have them switch this too if you wanted 85, when you reorder.
    hello!
    McDuff is right. totally agreed...

just to demonstrate, look my chair above with 16" witdh and 10" front seat taper:

If there is any dought in your mind about your chair maybe not quite being right..dont sign anything!

It took them 3 months to get my chair here,and im happy with it..but i still wont sign off on it for just as many months as it took for them to deliver it!

I spoke with my provider yesterday about the issues I've noticed with the chair. I told him about the front end not being tapered and my feet sliding. Since I had taken pics of the chair as soon as he left my house on Wed. I offered to send him a pic of the front end since he didn't recall if it was tapered or not. He agrees that it is NOT tapered. I received a copy of the purchase order when my chair was delivered, so I read that the front end was supposed to be 2.5 inches narrower than seat width. Thanks McDuff (and amyk) for pointing out that this is the INSIDE width and IS 2.5 inches narrower just by taking into account the diameter of the tubing. I am going to shoot off an e-mail to the provider and let him know.
    Should I request that the footrest be 12" or 10" like ChriZ's? I really don't want my feet sliding around and I want to be able to keep my knees together (which I can't do with my feet sliding around!). On the other hand, I don't want my feet to be squished.
    I asked the provider about the front seat height, which unfortunately we can't do much about because I am so tall! I guess I will get used to letting air out of my Varilite Meridian cushion to get under certain tables. Disabled Student Services at school is going to put a height adjustable table in my classroom so that I can fit under that.

Here are the specs as listed in the purchase order.
    TiLite Aero Z
    TiLite Red - High Gloss Paint
    18" - Seat Width
    19" - Seat Depth
    21" - Front Seat Height
    17.5" - Rear Seat Height
    Standard Footrest Set at: 19" - Seat to Footrest
    Set at: 13.5-16.5" - Folding Adj. Height Seat Back w/Push Handles, Back Post Seat
    Aluminum w/TiShaft Back Release Bar - Folding Height Adj. Seat Back w/Push Handles, Back Post Seat
    92* - Seat Back Angle
    3" - Center of Gravity Measurement
    2.5" Narrower than Seat Width - Footrest Width (specify sizes on order form)
    1.5" - Rear Wheel Spacing
    2* - Camber/Camber Tubes
    80* - Front Angle
    4" Plastic Wheel w/Poly Tire - Front Wheels
    Spinergy WIRE w/Low Flange Hub, 25" - Rear Wheels
    25" Primo Treaded - Pneumatic Rear Tires
    Aluminum, Silver Anodized -Handrims
    Composite Scissor Wheel Locks
    Black - Upholstery Color Options
    Omit Back Upholstery - Back Upholstery
    Tension Adj. Bolt On - Seat Upholstery
    Aluminum Rigid Removeable, Standard Side Guards
    Stainless Quick Release - Axles
    Rear Aluminum, Black Anti-Tippers
    Varilite Meridian Cushion w/Mesh 18" x 20"
    Jay Backrest - Posterior Width 18" - Posterior J3 Back
    Jay Backrest - J3 Mid Thoracic Posterior Back 12" Short 18" Back Ht std. Hdw

I want to change the taper on the front end (obviously), probably to 12". I need to talk to the provider about this.
    I want to change the frame angle to 85* (the provider said in our initial fitting that he would order 85*, which didn't happen).
    I also want to change the rear wheel spacing to 1" instead of 1.5". Taking 1" total off my char width will be good.

I might order a pair of 3" casters to see how much lower I can get the front end, hopefully making it easier to slide under tables/desks.
    I also requested a calf strap to keep my legs from falling off the back, which has come VERY close to happening any time I go over a bump (my school has those yellow bumpy things they sometimes put on curb cuts...very annoying!).

When I spoke to the provider yesterday he said that they will order a new frame and I won't have to give this one up until the new one comes in. When the new one gets here they will just swap the frames out and send this one back to TiLite. This made me happy. I kind of relate it to taking candy from a baby, you don't give a person a spiffy new wheelchair only to take it away and make them use their hospital grade wheelchair again for another 3 weeks or so!

This is getting long so I'm gonna end this now. Thanks for your advice everyone!

Mandy
    ~Mandy~
    SCI as a result of spinal surgery
    TiLite Aero Z!!!

Sounds like you have it well under control. Cool that you get to keep this in the meantime.

Thinking about your front height; if your feet are sliding around as much as you say, could you stand to have a shorter seat to footrest length? Almost sounds like you don't have enough pressure on your feet. How does the cushion feel right at the edge of your legs? Is there too much pressure there, because the feet are not supporting enough? If you could bring up footrest, you could get lower overall height. just thinking...
    "a T10, who'd Rather be ridin'; than rollin'"