Thread: Transdermal patches where you can't sweat?

Transdermal patches where you can't sweat?

Does the ability to sweat have anything to do with the efficacy of transdermal patch meds? Seems like they stick better where I can sweat, and maybe work better too. I'm just using nicotine patches. I think for fentanyl or birth control patch users this info might be vital.

Just wonder if anyone thought to check.

And where is the best place to put them? Over muscle, fat, bone or what?

I get itchy from them, and have found they work best if I put them just below my level of sensation. The irritation is very minor if I leave them alone, and don't keep rubbing or itching!
    T7-8 since Feb 2005

I was talking to my doctor about fentanyl today. He said you can stick them anywhere and they are absorbed by fat. I never tried them though.

My pain doctor told me that the fentanyl (Duragesic) works better above the level of the heart and usually recommends you put them on the upper chest or arm. I have an adhesive allergy and certain areas of my body are more sensitive than others (my upper chest and arms for example are more sensitive than my abdomen). Because of my allergy to adhesives he told me to at least keep the patch above the level of the belly button. I usually keep it on my abdomen somewhere above the belly button, but will sometimes keep it on my lower back. I find that it doesn't stick very well anywhere, but tegaderm keeps it on really well! I always put tegaderm over my patch.
    Duragesic is a great med for helping to control my pain.

Mandy
    ~Mandy~
    SCI as a result of spinal surgery
    TiLite Aero Z!!!

Please stay off the fentanyl unless it is a last resort!!!!!!!!!!! if you have to go off it it's hell. They put me on it because I was hurting, they had missed my burst fracture and just left me on it, now because of $ I have had to get off it amd I'm hurting like hell. I stuck them on my upper arms

Duragesic is a skin patch that gradually delivers fentanyl through the skin into the bloodstream for 72 hours. The amount of fentanyl released from each patch per hour is directly related to the surface area of the patch.

I put them on the top of my foot. Being a quad I couldn't put them anywhere near my arms, my transfers where i would flex and unflex my muscles, is enough to 'loosen' it.

There is not much chest hair, just enough to get in the way. No muscle tone makes it hard to apply to the belly with folds (actually comes out right under the sternum, makes me look 8 months pregnant or a scrawny Buddha) and the movent from twisting laying in bed on my side to back, etc.

No dexterity (quad club hands) or balance to help me and the smoothest, flattest area of skin that did not wrinkle, that i could easily get to, is is on the top off my foot. Wearing socks over it, I switch feet when changing them and have never had a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by duge View Post
    Please stay off the fentanyl unless it is a last resort!!!!!!!!!!! if you have to go off it it's hell. They put me on it because I was hurting, they had missed my burst fracture and just left me on it, now because of $ I have had to get off it amd I'm hurting like hell. I stuck them on my upper arms
    great advice...IMHO.

betheny, you are onto something...no sweat, because pores are constricted below injury level.....patches, med absorbed thru "open" pores......med would underdose below inj level, normal dose above..........sound reasonable to me.