Thread: Raising rear seat height through tire instead wheel!

Raising rear seat height through tire instead wheel!

Im currently sitting on Primo V-trac 24' 25-540..id like to come up about 1/4 inch or so but stay with my 24's..suggestions?

move to schwalbe marathon plus - the sidewall is a littke taller, and i think sci-otr said tthe 24"s are about 1/4" taller... dont know exactly, he said it recently so search. great tires, i have them. they definitely are taller.

I’d say a 1/4” taller on 24”s is about right as for marathon plus evolution compared to ordinary tires. Here’s an image with marathon plus evolution in the background and ordinary grey ones in front (not easy to see the height difference, but anyway). Don’t know how much this will add to the rear height underneath you though, cause that depends on the length between casters and back wheels and the position of the wheels (COG/typpy). Seems like you have some measuring to do along with picking up that old math schoolbook reading about Pythagoras if you are after those small millimetres

Thanks guys! Im just looking at bringing my ass up a touch so i can then thing bring my front up to match.My foot plate is bottoming out on curb cuts and i dont want to raise it cause im in my ''sweet spot''

Quote Originally Posted by Shaun View Post
    Thanks guys! Im just looking at bringing my ass up a touch so i can then thing bring my front up to match.My foot plate is bottoming out on curb cuts and i dont want to raise it cause im in my ''sweet spot''
    I see Shaun. Some tires like marathon plus might help as for this – taller tire walls and then give the caster fork arm a notch up. Hey, we don’t want to nose dive in the neighbour’s flowerbed.

One thing though if you are considering tires like marathon plus evolution: I find these tires to be more directional stabile (among due to the tread system on the tires I guess), for example like on smooth surfaces like wooden floors at home. This as such might be a good thing; say if wheeling with one hand using the other one to balance something on you’re lap. But by being more directional stabile it requires a little bit more push by “the other hand” to navigate/turn the chair, hence also requiring a tad more speed and force to stop. It’s not much difference and probably not a big deal, but given you’re neurological injury level, maybe check it out. I don’t know if that is a concern of yours, for me it isn’t, just wanted to mention it, but you might if possible try a chair similar to the one you use the most with such tires on just to test it. Maybe others here can chime in and comment as well as for this.

ETA, close-up of the same image above (Inch to the left, SI mm to the right, on the folding rule). This is a bit more than a ΒΌ”, but this marathon tire are not used, and the other one is.
    Last edited by Leif; 04-08-2009 at 01:54 PM.

Thanks for the info Leif! Its a brand new chair,and just want to squeak maybe a 1/2' rise in the foot plate..Couple tires,tighten the sling abit and i should be zero'd in..

Hi Shaun,
    If you just want to raise you your cushion. Use a layer of rigid foam the same thickness that you want to raise it. Place it under your normal cushion. A 1/4 inch may fit in the cushion cover. Thicker pieces could be held in place with self adhesive Velcro.

I did this to raise my hand cycle seat 2 inches.

Quote Originally Posted by Harpoon View Post
    Hi Shaun,
    If you just want to raise you your cushion. Use a layer of rigid foam the same thickness that you want to raise it. Place it under your normal cushion.
    Nice! Never thought of that thanks!

I was given it an oggling this morning and found a 1/2'' of wasted space on the footplate itself..If i go solid 1 piece and lose the adjustable ive got it made in the shade..I'll grab a pic

Heres the wasted space! A solid 1 piece footplate well gain me 1/2-3/4 of an inch!

Great help Leif. You went the extra mile to help a fellow sci.That's just why this site is soo valuable, poeple helping people. Keep paying it forward folks, I love it.