Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Suggestions for balance loss while driving??

Hi Jenny,
    I have the same problem and steer with my L-hand. While turning to the L, I put my R-arm/hand behind the passengers seat which helps me keep balance. Done it like that for 7 years now.

Call IMEC @ 800-547-9514. Ron is very helpful. I got the 4" multi-adjustable. It is fastened around the seat, and then fastens around you with 3 different adjustments to fine tune your stability. I really like it. I'm a C4 inc. with fussion at C6/7. It should work well for you. Best of luck, and enjoy the freedom of the road!
    Dave E. C6-7 Incomp. Quad 9-06

"NEVER LOSE SIGHT OF YOUR DREAMS!"
    "THERE IS NOTHING BETTER FOR THE INSIDE OF A MAN / WOMAN THAN THE OUTSIDE OF A HORSE"

Quote Originally Posted by darty View Post
    I have a suggestion I have been using for over 20 years and it works for me. I have a chest belt attached to my chair but I also have a padded wooden bar or block I guess you would call it screwed to the drivers door at the correct position so when I turn left I can slip my left elbow under it, lean left and turn the wheel with my right arm.

It works for me and if you need photos let me know.

I guess this would only work with the hand controls on the left and steering with your right hand.

I would love to see a picture of your padded mounted block. Balance is an issue for me too. Thanks.
    Peggy

Will do as soon as I can..

It is made from a wooden stick purchased at a Lowes home store, the stick is about 1/2 square and it is in the garden section (they are used to steak up plants). The wood is cut to 12" in length then we wrapped it several times with some blue duck tape (from Walmart) and mounted it to the drivers door length wise front to back with sheet metal screws. You need the correct length screws so it is mounted strong but the screws don't hit the window glass. Also the one I have in this van is spaced away from the door in the rear half of the stick by using those black, square rubber feet that peel and stick into place from Radio Shack.

I will post photos soon and you will understand it better...

Quote Originally Posted by peegy p View Post
    I would love to see a picture of your padded mounted block. Balance is an issue for me too. Thanks.
    Peggy
    ^^(A)^^

O.K. so here are the photos I hope they help you can also use a length of 1/4 round and pad that up then screw it to the door. It may take some playing around but it works for me...

Quote Originally Posted by darty View Post
    Will do as soon as I can..

It is made from a wooden stick purchased at a Lowes home store, the stick is about 1/2 square and it is in the garden section (they are used to steak up plants). The wood is cut to 12" in length then we wrapped it several times with some blue duck tape (from Walmart) and mounted it to the drivers door length wise front to back with sheet metal screws. You need the correct length screws so it is mounted strong but the screws don't hit the window glass. Also the one I have in this van is spaced away from the door in the rear half of the stick by using those black, square rubber feet that peel and stick into place from Radio Shack.

I will post photos soon and you will understand it better...
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    ^^(A)^^

Thanks for the photos Darty!

Believe it or not, my balance got better after ditching the steering wheel spinner knob. Being able to "grasp" (whatever, I'm textbook C6/7) the wheel in more locations than where the spinner was located for turns made a HUGE difference.

Think about it... you lose your balance most often during left turns when? Where is the position of the spinner? Likely somewhere between a 7:00 & 10:00 position? Think how your balance would be affected if you could shuffle your hand(s) along the wheel & almost always keep your right hand between 1:00 & 5:00 on the wheel...

Just my $0.02 for thought... not necessarily recommending doing this w/o fully knowing your abilities.

I just hope they help....
    ^^(A)^^

Man I wish I could grab the wheel any kind of way but I can't so the spinner is my only option. I thought it was only me who had the dreaded left turn jitters but I see it's a common problem. I just got this van in December but it's set up just like my old one I have driven it a few thousand miles but I'm still getting comfortable with it.

Here are a few more pictures of my interior setup..

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Pruett View Post
    Believe it or not, my balance got better after ditching the steering wheel spinner knob. Being able to "grasp" (whatever, I'm textbook C6/7) the wheel in more locations than where the spinner was located for turns made a HUGE difference.

Think about it... you lose your balance most often during left turns when? Where is the position of the spinner? Likely somewhere between a 7:00 & 10:00 position? Think how your balance would be affected if you could shuffle your hand(s) along the wheel & almost always keep your right hand between 1:00 & 5:00 on the wheel...

Just my $0.02 for thought... not necessarily recommending doing this w/o fully knowing your abilities.
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    ^^(A)^^

I had the same problem too, I started working with a trainer on strengthening my core(abs, obliques, etc...) what a difference. Sit ups help if you can have someone to work out with you, side to side wood chops, pelvic raises and thrusts. A strong core is the key to good balance. I am a T10 para and am pretty rock solid in the drivers seat. Hope this helps and good luck getting out and driving your self around, it helped my depression.