Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Suggestions for balance loss while driving??

Question Suggestions for balance loss while driving??

I've recently started driving a minivan. I am a c6 quad and i transfer into a 6 way power drivers seat. I sometimes fall to the right while making left turns. My instructor tried a chest strap on me yesterday, it seemed to put my trunk in such a position that made it really tired and made driving alot of effort and i was still falling to the right on left turns. So i'm hoping someone out there has a better suggestion. I was thinking some kind of lateral support but don't know of any that attach to drivers seat. Please let me know what works for any of you in similiar situation. thanks.

Hi Jenny, I went through this too when I started driving. I'm a para but my ribs were destroyed on one side, so I have very little trunk stability still. The chest strap worked for me but may take some getting used to. You can also have custom padding built into the seat to bolster you upright. Then the transfer may become an issue.

Congrats on this big step. I hope it gets easier for you.

G
    My blog: Living Life at Butt Level

Ignite Phoenix #9 - Wheelchairs and Wisdom: Living Life at Butt Level

"I will not die an unlived life. I will not live in fear of falling or catching fire. I choose to inhabit my days, to allow my living to open me, to make me less afraid, more accessible, to loosen my heart until it becomes a wing, a torch, a promise. I choose to risk my significance; to live so that which comes to me as seed goes to the next as blossom and that which comes to me as blossom, goes on as fruit."

Dawna Markova Author of Open Mind.

I drive from my wheelchair and use this velcro belt that goes around my chest and my w/c (under my armpits) with a strap over each shoulder from back to front. can't find a picture, sorry.

I have know a couple of quads with a similar problem. They appeared to have solved the problem by using a racing harness. It has straps over both shoulder, across the chest, and a lap belt. I have a minimal problem and the armrest on the right side of the seat gives me the support I need.

You can look at these,
    http://www.saferacer.com/harness/?ta...FQJ2xgodSS8o3w

or just Google racing harness.

Seat armrests do wonders. The type that fold up. If you can transfer and all that it's all you need.

I have a suggestion I have been using for over 20 years and it works for me. I have a chest belt attached to my chair but I also have a padded wooden bar or block I guess you would call it screwed to the drivers door at the correct position so when I turn left I can slip my left elbow under it, lean left and turn the wheel with my right arm.

It works for me and if you need photos let me know.

I guess this would only work with the hand controls on the left and steering with your right hand.

Quote Originally Posted by JennyB View Post
    I've recently started driving a minivan. I am a c6 quad and i transfer into a 6 way power drivers seat. I sometimes fall to the right while making left turns. My instructor tried a chest strap on me yesterday, it seemed to put my trunk in such a position that made it really tired and made driving alot of effort and i was still falling to the right on left turns. So i'm hoping someone out there has a better suggestion. I was thinking some kind of lateral support but don't know of any that attach to drivers seat. Please let me know what works for any of you in similiar situation. thanks.
    ^^(A)^^

I'm just a para as well, but I have found if I cross my legs it provides much more stability (although I have good balance to begin with). If I don't, I see I'm much more unstable though!
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

i was just talking about this with my dad to day, he told me he is just going to glue velcro to the truck seat and to the back of my shirts. he said that should hold me from floping around haha

I went through the same thing when I started driving; got fatigued after a short while and it was scary making quick left turns. It takes a little time to get used to it. I agree that the fold down arm rests help a lot.

I have a chest strap that was custom made. I'll call Craig Hosp. and find out where they got it and post it here.
    Dave E. C6-7 Incomp. Quad 9-06

"NEVER LOSE SIGHT OF YOUR DREAMS!"
    "THERE IS NOTHING BETTER FOR THE INSIDE OF A MAN / WOMAN THAN THE OUTSIDE OF A HORSE"