Thread: Condom cath/leg bag

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Condom cath/leg bag

I am going to be taking a long flight and need a reliable condom cath to wear with a leg bag. Recommendations please

Be sure you try these out PRIOR to taking your trip. There is no one best external, and you don't want to find you picked the wrong one for you at 45,000 feet. Try to avoid use of latex ECCs (external condom catheters):

For a one-piece type:

Rochester Wideband
    Rochester Ultraflex
    Mentor Clear Advantage
    Mentor Freedom Clear

For a two-piece type:
    Conveen Security+

Be sure to get the right size. Most come in at least 5 sizes.

For legbags, I recommend again a latex free system if possible. Check out the Hollister Latex Free Urinary Leg Bag Kit (#HOL9349) or the Bard Dispoz-a-bag with Flip-Flo valve (#151932) although this one is not latex free. Get a 32 oz. bag.

(KLD)

I'd like to try one of these too. I've never used a condom cath or leg bag before. Can someone explain exactly what I'd need to order? Just the condom caths and a leg bag? Are these parts reusable?

You should also have bedside drainage bags for night use. Leg bags can be cleaned and reused for up to a month each if used daily. While there are reusable condom catheters, the best ones on the market (as with those above) are single use only (and self-adhesive). They need to be changed daily...longer use is associated with higher rates of UTIs, and skin breakdown and a bad odor can occur if the skin is not inspected and washed daily.

Some like to be extra sure they it will not "fail" or fall off, so add Elastoplast tape in addition to the self adhesive. Never use a non-stretchy type tape.

(KLD)

Quote Originally Posted by Zero View Post
    I'd like to try one of these too. I've never used a condom cath or leg bag before. Can someone explain exactly what I'd need to order? Just the condom caths and a leg bag? Are these parts reusable?
    You need to know your size, which would be the width of your penis. Conveen comes in a 21, 25, 30, 35 or 40. Most adults use the 30 it seems and the 25. you can get a sizing chart from your supplier, they come in each box that we get here. Then the leg bag and tubing and your set. I might want to get some skin prep and maybe some remover to help.

Quote Originally Posted by soonerborn View Post
    You need to know your size, which would be the width of your penis. Conveen comes in a 21, 25, 30, 35 or 40. Most adults use the 30 it seems and the 25. you can get a sizing chart from your supplier, they come in each box that we get here. Then the leg bag and tubing and your set. I might want to get some skin prep and maybe some remover to help.
    Do you need to buy the tubing separately, or does it come with the bag?

Quote Originally Posted by Zero View Post
    Do you need to buy the tubing separately, or does it come with the bag?
    It should fit together without extra tubing.

The leg bag will drain better if you wear it on your lower leg, so you need an extension tubing. If you use one of the leg bag "kits" above it will come with fabric straps (avoid the rubber ones that will cut into your leg), the bag, and extension tubing with a connector.

One option for the condom catheters would be to get a selection of various kinds so you can try several before purchasing. Here is a place that does that (call them to get details):

http://www.hdis.com/list.asp?bookmar...me=&prodtype=I

It is also possible to make do-it-yourself condom catheters out of regular condoms and rubber tubing, but this is becoming a lost art. I have a handout on how to do this (in a pinch) if anyone wants it.

(KLD)

Thanks KLD.
    Last edited by Jim; 04-07-2009 at 11:33 AM.