Thread: the tailwind

the tailwind

Does anyone have any experience with this chair? It is relatively new to the market and I'm wondering how it compares to the emotion wheels. It took me many years to be able to fool around with my older emotion model, however I've been recently surprised how much strength of been able to develop as a C4/5 in the last few months. As of now i'm pretty much using the emotions all day -- but I find some trouble with steep hills and Ramps. The technology on this chair appears decent enough to help me decelerate. I'm curious if anyone has had a spin on it.

http://www.nextmobilitynow.com/tailwind.php

I recently did a four day stretch in a Tailwind "demo" and came away with a very positive impression. Going up even a steep ramp was a breeze. One or two light strokes and I was gliding up on the anti-tippers. Going down was a bit tougher. There is intuitive resistance on a downward slope, so it actually takes more effort to go down than up. On level ground, it (I) started out a little squirrelly. The computer gets input from the pressure that is applied to the (touch-sensitive) push-rims, so it takes some practice to keep it tracking properly. Once I got used it, it was smooth sailing.

The battery is very compact and plugs in under the back of the seat plate. I’m C-5 (incomplete), and after a little “hit and miss,” I was able to manage the exchange well enough.

Other than that, I thought it had a nice clean look to it. Once I’m satisfied with a seating system, I will most likely order one.
    Last edited by Rick1; 04-06-2009 at 09:51 PM.
    Know Thyself

Rick, Thanks for your review. Have you tried the emotion wheels? If so, is the power comparable?

Chaz,

It’s been awhile and I only tried the e-motion for a brief spin. Still, I would say that the “assist” on the Tailwind is at least as strong as the e-motion.

I think the Tailwind is more appealing because it is a complete system, rather than just a set of wheels.

If you’re interested, you can probably arrange for a demo. If you do, let us know what you think.
    Know Thyself

I recently checked out the Tailwind, and it is the real deal. It uses the technology that was developed for the now-discontinued iGlide, which I have been using for 6 years. Some of the components are interchangeable. The Tailwind has a lot of options available. The chair is not as wide as a comparable chair equipped with emotions, so it can go through narrower doorways and park closer to a bed. It is also lighter. I routinely go up and down some fairly steep grades/ramps and wheeling around the lawn is a breeze. Rick1 has given a good description of propelling the chair.

I was interested in the chair because I was concerned about what I was going to do when my current chair dies. However, I have gotten 6 years out of it without any problem other than having to replace, tires, batteries, and recently, the back upholstry. If you need a power assist, I think you will love the Tailwind. I will be glad to answer any specific questions you might have.

oh shoot. thought you meant the wittman tailwind airplane, which i once flew around this country good luck with this tailwind...good name...

Good to know. Did you have any help financially procuring the chair? It is kind of pricey, and I'm trying to find some grant money, but was wondering if Medicare or Medicaid would help fund a portion?

Also, if you're decelerating in this chair can you use the downward momentum with a slight tap on the handrim to navigate curvy descents? Could I get a full day out of one charge of the battery? As of now the emotions often lose their juice halfway through a day. Thanks for your thoughts.

Chaz19, they do have a Medicare # for the power assist and chair. It will probably cover 7k of the 9.5k total cost if you qualify. Certainly, when the battery is new, under ordinary circumstances, it will get you through the day. I am retired and spend most of my time around the house and yard and I get 3-4 days on a charge. I do keep two batteries in case I want to go on a long trek fishin or something. If my memory is correct, it took test drivers 7-8 charged batteries to climb Pike's Peak. When the power is off, you can coast down grades and you turn just as you would in a regular manual chair. With the power on down grades, you have to use the handrims just as you would on the level in a manual chair. I hope I understood your qustion and that my answer is clear.

That information is incredibly helpful. someone rode up Pike's Peak? wow! That must have been quite a test ride. I may run some more questions by you in the coming weeks. Thanks for your help so far.