Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Vegetarians?

I feel a lot like your animal lover friend, but I would NEVER put that rap on someone else, as it is each person's job to decide where they want to draw a line or not. The odd thing is that once I had gotten past eating mammals for about six months the desire was gone completely. There was a steak house I had to drive by on my way to work, and while I would never share this to anyone I was with I did come to no longer think of it as a great steak, but more what it actually was, which I will spare you the description since everyone knows what it is no matter how much we might try to dissociate from that knowledge. I find some of the veggie burgers good, and some just dreadful. I like the fire roasted vegie burgers from Boca, and besides, I cover them with hot sauce or mustard, so I really like it.

i agree. if you love meat then being a vegetarian will take discipline but as eileen said, your body will adjust to being without it. after a while, the mere smell, taste or look of raw meat meat can make you nauseus. if meat is something you can take or leave, doing without it won't be a challenge. i'm not a huge fan of red meat but do crave seafood maybe 2-3 times a year. i used to be a strict vegetarian but eat meat on occasion now, a couple of times a month.

danine, indian and chinese food is a good way to go veggie. indian food especially has a lot of tasty meatless dishes. vegetarianism is not all carrots and cucumbers.

i recently discovered soy bacon by morningstar which is sooo good. i was surprised. i'm not one for the faux meat stuff but it really is good.

i agree with alexagain. it's actually easier for the human body to metabolize vegetable protein.
    Last edited by antiquity; 04-06-2009 at 10:03 PM.

except for meat on a stick once evey summer, im pretty much a veggi. veggie burgers are ok, but really the only meat fake I like is the morning star crumbles. great for spagetti sauces. I have never tried to go vegan, macrobiotic was interesting. thought I was gonna starve.

Somewhat off topic and too much information but I will share it anyway since it pertains to my other post in this thread:

My difficulties giving up eating meat might have taken a fortuitious turn for the good last night. I was at an Easter potluck and ate what I thought was beef. It was very tender and unlike any beef dish I had before but I chalked that up to the marinade it was in. As I was eating my second helping of it somebody told me what it actually was: lamb

The image in my mind of a tiny white fluffy lamb was enough for instant horrification on my part (as well as instant loss of my appetite). But that wasn't the end. The person who alerted me to the fact it was lamb (herself a vegetarian) proceeded to share in great detail a story about a job she once had on a lamb farm in Australia, including telling me more than I needed to know about the slaughtering process.

I am not so naive to know that the pigs, chickens, and cows I eat on a regular basis don't have pleasant lives and endings either. It does bother me and is one of the many reasons I have been pondering vegetarianism for some time. But I get cravings for meat and always end up going back to it. The incident with the potluck lamb might just be the impetus I need to finally cut myself off. This morning the thought of any meat at all, particularly when my nurse for the day showed up eating a sausage mcmuffin, is making me feel very queezy. This may pass. But I don't think so.

Quote Originally Posted by orangejello View Post
    My difficulties giving up eating meat might have taken a fortuitious turn for the good last night. I was at an Easter potluck and ate what I thought was beef. It was very tender and unlike any beef dish I had before but I chalked that up to the marinade it was in. As I was eating my second helping of it somebody told me what it actually was: lamb
    I had a similar experience once with some "mystery meat" that I thought was ground beef. After eating it, I was told that it was deer. I had one of those "I just ate Bambi" moments.

BTW, I'm still sticking to the vegetarian diet...don't know how long I'll last with it, but so far, so good...
    "The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off." -Gloria Steinem

Recently I've been laying off meat but for a totally opposite reason.
    Unfortunately unless you're buying organic lamb, venison, beef, chicken, etc.,
    it won't be bambi or a fluffy, little white lamb you're eating.
    It will be chicken stacked 12 cages high, 4-5 hens packed in each cage.
    They peck each other to death, feces all over each other falling from the top cage all the way to the bottom. I watched that on Oprah and haven't ate chicken since.
    Then the cows lay sick, half dead in cages together. No more beef.
    I want to eat meat but I can't put it in my mouth.
    There are no stores in my town that sell organic.
    I went to eating wild salmon but I can only eat so much because of the mercury levels nowadays.
    I'm living on fruit smoothies (protein mix), organic eggs, and veggies.

Yes, the reason I went vege in the first place was because of the factory farming conditions that are abhorrent to even think about, and which clearly cause enormous suffering. On top of that the animals are injected with steroids, growth hormones, and antibiotics, none of which is good for them or the person eating their flesh. Factory farming is one of the most disgusting operations immaginable, with animals routinely abused by bored and neanderthal-like workers. Terrified animals produce Cortisol, a stres hormone (as do we) and some think that isn't exactly in our best interest to be injesting either. I eat lentils and other beans, lots of nuts, fruits and veggies, especially dark green ones like spinach and broccoli that have great nutrient value. I do eat cheese and ice cream, so that is another source of protein for me.

Makes sense Eileen. Disgusting how they're allowed to treat animals.
    I need to eat more beans. So today (after reading this yesterday lol)
    I'm having pinto beans, long grain & wild rice, and brocolli.
    I think beans and rice make a complete protein. I need to ck it out.
    You need complete proteins & b12 if you don't eat meat.

Mona, I also take a multi-vitamin daily. Right now I happen to be using the Women's Once A Day vitamin, and it has important vitamins and also vitamin D, something that most North American's seem to lack these days, mostly because our sun intake is limited at best.

fwiw - years ago, I visited a large community of folks who all ate a vegan diet. A medical team tested the children as part of a study. The only nutritional deficiency reported was vitamin B-12. The adults were not tested.
    Foolish

"We have met the enemy and he is us."-POGO.

"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it."~Edgar Allan Poe

"Dream big, you might never wake up!"- Snoop Dogg