Thread: Is there a name for what I have?

Is there a name for what I have?

When I was born in 1955 I was a breach birth. The delivery doc pushed me back in and flipped me then used forceps to pull me out. At some point my lumbar was damaged and and I grew up and have lived with a sway back and mobility problems.

I'm strong as an ox but can't run worth my life and shuffle some, not to mention recurrent muscle spasms and atonic bladder.

Mom has scoliosis and there has been some thought this may be related to her condition.

For me it's always just been my normal.

Thanks

Brock

It sounds like you may have had a birth trauma cauda equina injury. Have you never had any medical care for this for your whole life? Never seen a urologist or a physiatrist? How do you manage your bladder? Bowels? Do you have sexual function? I assume that no legal action was taken against the physician?

(KLD)

This was WAYYY back in the 50's no one ever THOUGHT of suing a DR. So I and we as a family just dealt with it.

Actually my allergies as a kid were so severe that we never noticed any other problems till I was going thru de-sensitization treatments and I got more active. I do remember Mom would stand me on her feet and we'd dance to her 78's to get me moving. Later they got me into horseback riding, then cycling and swimming to strengthen everything so in the end I turned out quite the jock. I took up weight training in college on my own.

Some problems all my life with bowel, just have to watch what i eat, no problems with urinary fuction till the past 3-4 years, now intermittent cath days and condom cath nights, indwelling foley sometimes, mainly for WC sports when i know i'll be hydrating like crazy and dont want any leakage.

Not had sexual function for years, on 350 mg test a week for hormone replacement.

thanks for that!

Brock

You should see a physiatrist as well as a good neurologic urologist. Deterioration is not normal with a cauda equina injury, so you should probably see a good spinal neurosurgeon as well.

(KLD)

Thanks, i'll talk to my Primary!

I was yanked out (1957) by the feel & Mom said my head got stuck.
    Good luck, and see those doc's that KLD recomended ASAP. I stupidly waited for my regular PCPappointment & am paying for it now.
    Last edited by Coleen; 08-03-2009 at 12:27 PM. Reason: spelling