Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New batteries.

New batteries.

On Tuesday i rode my Rascal to my friends house. Lucky I guess. Right in front of my friends house my motor chair stopped dead. I turned it off, wait a few seconds, and it would go about 10' and stop. o we messed around a bit. They brought me back to my place and we took the new batteries back and put them on. And I wheeled back today on my manual, and checked, and the gauge bounces up on 2 then back. But the chair won't move at all. I looked to make sure the motors were in gear. and it still won't move. They have been charging since Tuesday evening. Since they are new batteries, how long should I let them charge? Could it be the charger on the chair going bad? I sure hope s a simple thing. I really need my power. Out here everything is off road.
    Can anyone tell me any might and maybes, about whats going on.
    Thanks for any information.

Is the charger part of the chair or a separate charger? What kind of chair is it?
    I might have a couple extra chargers around but I am not sure if they are compatible to your chair.
    I would start by trying a different outlet to plug the charger in to, then seeing if someone can take the new batteries back out and put them in again to make sure they are connected properly.
    New batteries do take a while to get their first full charge but I wouldn't think more than 48 hours. can you call the place you got the new batteries from?

Hmmm...knowing absolutely NOTHING about wheelchair batteries, but knowing about flashlights and radio batteries, I would check the connecting parts. Remember how a flashlight has that metal thingy...well, if it is not touching the battery, nothing, no matter how new the battery is... is dampness a factor? just a thought...

Now I have proved my ignorance to all, but I WAS trying to help...LOL...

Do you see why my Dad does not let me do anything to my car besides check the oil and put gas in? ROFL....

have a great day, Jerry...

Teena

Alex,,The charger is built into the chair. It is a rascal 710. A big one. Everything is hooked up right.
    Thanks Teena, what ever that means

Rascal Customer Service says they have experts standing by eager to help. Hope that's true. It's a free call.

1-800-MOBILITY that's 800-662-4548

http://www.rascalscooters.com/index....ervice.landing
    Foolish

"We have met the enemy and he is us."-POGO.

"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it."~Edgar Allan Poe

"Dream big, you might never wake up!"- Snoop Dogg

Foolish

"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it."~Edgar Allan Poe

I called them, and they told me to call the company where the batteries come from. And that was it. And someone bought the batteries came from so I don't know where they come from.
    Thanks hillbilly.

They probably mean to call the manufacturer of the batteries, Jerry, not whoever sold them. What is the brand name on them?

Why am I not surprised that Rascal wasn't helpful? At some companies you can ask to speak to somebody in technical services and they will put you through to somebody who has a clue.

So, basically you're trying to determine if it's the batteries or the charger?

Are the "Shark" flash codes in the manual any help in making that determination?

How about using an external charger to see if the batteries will take a charge? The manual says that you have 12 volt batteries that take a full charge in 8 to 14 hours at 5 amps. Can you get a ride to a decent auto parts store or service station? They may be able to evaluate the batteries.

Remember the hillbilly code - "A man made it, so a man can fix it".

Quote Originally Posted by jerryblt06 View Post
    I called them, and they told me to call the company where the batteries come from. And that was it. And someone bought the batteries came from so I don't know where they come from.
    Thanks hillbilly.
    Last edited by Foolish Old; 04-03-2009 at 02:12 PM.
    Foolish

Batteries

My on board charger quit and I ran down my batteries, tried charging, but nada. I have a hand held digital volt meter and that is how I learned my charger was at fault. These meters are not expensive and are good to have for situations such as yours.

I agree with FO that you should try an external charger and determine if the batteries are receiving a charge. When hooking the external charger to your batteries, FIRST disconnect your batteries at the the battery posts. Be sure to do this!
    You C.A.N.
    Conquer Adversity Now