Thread: MY Mitrofanoff/Monty Scheduled...

MY Mitrofanoff/Monty Scheduled...

Well, I saw the Dr. today and we have a mitrofanoff, he's calling it a Monty (because of using the small intestine), scheduled for May 12.
    Has anyone else heard of the Monty? We thought of some more questions after we left the office, doesn't it always work out like that.
    The major thing that suprised me was he said only 3 weeks of recovery, and everybody else I've talked to says 6 weeks. Is the difference the small intestine?
    Stupidity ain't illegal, but it sure is inconvenient.

Help me support the 2010 Bike MS.

That's what I had.
    Aerodynamically, the bumble bee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumble bee doesn't know that, so it goes on flying anyways--Mary Kay Ash

Quote Originally Posted by november View Post
    That's what I had.
    How long was your recovery?

Actually i just had mine done abut 2 months ago and they also used my small intestine. I was in the hospital for 5 days. I too have heard peoples recovery time in the 6 week range. I was released with superpubic, a catheter in my stoma and then the drain tube. After 2 weeks i had my drain tube removed, then two weeks after that i had my stoma catheter removed which is when i started to actually manually cath threw my stoma. However they kept the superpubic in just incase. Then two weeks later i had the superpubic removed and i was tube free!!! So that may be the six week time some are talking about. I absolutely love my mitrofinoff!! I just wish i could have gotten it sooner! Some have talked about bowl issues but i have not experienced any issues, granted its only been a little over 2 months. Its a little more work at the beginning but you get use to it. Not sure if you are getting a bladder augmentation or not. I had one and i went from only being able to hold 80cc to nearly 500cc, its amazing! If you have any ther questions feel free to ask. Hope all goes well with your procedure!

Quote Originally Posted by ddgetty View Post
    ... If you have any ther questions feel free to ask. Hope all goes well with your procedure!
    If I have any question? I have a ton now that it's scheduled and I'm 3 hrs (driving a little over the speed limit) from the Dr. Did they say anything to you about job restrictions? I asked the nurse today and even though I ride a desk, she says look at 2 wks if not 4 off work. That sounds like a lot of time off, but I guess it is a pretty intense surgery.

It all depends on you and how well you do with surgeries. I didnt do to well after i got home but we discovered that was due to vicodin. I stopped taking it and felt so much better. And it depends on your injury level. What is your level? I have no feeling where they did the procedure so the pain meds were for spasms more. And then lets now forget the nice air that is left in your body that you have to get rid of. I am not sure what tubes will be left in you so that would be something to ask your nurse/doctor. It can be a pain to lug around and depending on your dress code at work, because you will want to wear loose clothing arounding your tummy. Also ask about further doctor appointments to remove tubes. Again i am not sure what will be left in after you go home so try to get a clear picture of that. I was able to move around pretty good about 2 days post op. I guess my best advice is to ask as many questions as possible so you get some kind of idea. Oh and i am not sure if they told you about the mucus that will be in your urine. I know it sounds disgusting. i imagined the worst possible image and cicumstances and was pleasently surprised at how bad things werent. I am here for any more questions you have. I was planning on posting some pics later on. Oh and ask about where your incision will be.
    Last edited by ddgetty; 03-31-2009 at 06:49 PM.

Goodluck for your surgery wheelie Mike! We will all be thinking of you.

DDGetty so glad to hear you are home and enjoying the results of your surgery! I am finally out of bed after healing up my pressure sore.

I have a question about your aug / mitro surgery.

Did they tell you not to exercise for a certain period of time? And ho long was it.

If I do this surgery ever ( far too chicken right now) I would want to schedule it so I would still have enough time to get back into swimming training and get back in shape for the paralympics/world champs in 2010 and 2012.

Could you transfer yourself into your wheelchair etc by the time you got home from hospital?

Thanks for answering all our questions!
    "The impossible is just that which hasn't been done yet.Impossible is nothing"

Miss S.
    So glad to hear you are able to get up and around again! i am sure it feels wonderful!
    When i left the hospital after 5 days the doc said everything would be healed. I was able to transfer myself the second day i was home. The only thing was, was lugging aroud the 3 tubes. But you get use to it and plus I had them taped so i wouldnt tug them or anything. The doc did say no major lifting for about a week. I had my staples in from my incision taken out before i went home so that was healed also. Not sure about getting into the pool if you have a suberpubic in after surgery. But two weeks post op i was back to normal minus the tubes of course! Then six weeks post op i was tubeless and loving my new "belly hole"

This is going to be one rough week. One of my work computers was starting to crash last week, so they took it over the weekend and said they would have it back Monday morning. Wrong, it will probably be Tuesday now and I still have way too much to do before I leave for my surgery. The guy that is covering for me while I'm gone is pretty much freaking out about now.
    I'm suppose to start the bowel program from hell on Thursday afternoon. Dolculax and Miralax. Does anyone know how quick it will start and how long it will last?