Thread: Permalock vs EZ lock

Blog Entries

Permalock vs EZ lock

Can anyone give me advice on which lockdown system I should get in my van if I manage to get the Permobil 500 stander funded? Can you expand on this?

The EZlock disadvantage is that the pin doesn't retract like the permalock so you lose ground clearance. Does anyone know how much ground clearance you lose?

However, is the EZlock universal/ more common? Then is it more useful should:
    1. I later get a non-Permobil chair?
    2. Another wheeler want to drive my van? Would they have any lockdown alternative?
    3. I need to lock down in a rental van? What mechanism is usually used there?

Is ether
    1. more stable or sturdy?
    2. Easier to move from driver’s to passenger’s side should I want to be a passenger with someone else driving, and I roll the passenger seat over?
    3. Better able to fit under the passenger seats in case I just get two to accommodate me on either side, with the passenger seat rolled opposite?

Quote Originally Posted by Random View Post
    Can anyone give me advice on which lockdown system I should get in my van if I manage to get the Permobil 500 stander funded? Can you expand on this?

The EZlock disadvantage is that the pin doesn't retract like the permalock so you lose ground clearance. Does anyone know how much ground clearance you lose?

However, is the EZlock universal/ more common? Then is it more useful should:
    1. I later get a non-Permobil chair?
    2. Another wheeler want to drive my van? Would they have any lockdown alternative?
    3. I need to lock down in a rental van? What mechanism is usually used there?

Is ether
    1. more stable or sturdy?
    2. Easier to move from driver’s to passenger’s side should I want to be a passenger with someone else driving, and I roll the passenger seat over?
    3. Better able to fit under the passenger seats in case I just get two to accommodate me on either side, with the passenger seat rolled opposite?
    I just got a used 2007 Dodge Grand Caravan w/brand new Braun Conversion. I have the Permobil C-500 non-standing power chair. I wanted the PERMOLOCK system but that is only for people who drive from their chairs. I back into my van & lock in to the EASY LOK & do a lateral transfer to the drivers power transfer seat. You can't back into a PERMOLOCK. I liked the idea of the retractable lock down pin. EASY LOK doesn't have that option. The pin is always sticking down & can get stuck on things. The pin on my chair is up as far as it could go & it rubs on the threshold when I'm going in & out the entry door of the apartment I live in. It would have been very nice to have the retractable pin on my chair but unfortunately the PERMOLOCK was not for me.

Random,

I was reading over on WCJ, and saw this thread, it is mainly about someone driving their van, but there are a few posts talking about the different lock systems:

http://www.wheelchairjunkie.com/foru...t&Number=13284

You might post your Q's over there too, lots of chair users.
    "a T10, who'd Rather be ridin'; than rollin'"

We have an EZ Lock, and when my mother got her Permobile C400 last year we had it modified for the EZ Lock and the lock-down location relocated (she rides in the passenger side and does not drive or transfer). With her previous chair we had to worry a lot about getting hung up with the pin as it was behind the large wheels of her front wheel drive chair and hung up on thresholds, etc. In fact, when we went on cruises we had to remove the pin entirely (a pain in the butt).

Now the pin is centered almost exactly BETWEEN the larger wheels, so it just does not hang up if you take the obstacle straight on. We just got back from a cruise where we did not remove the pin, and never had a problem there are around town locally.

(KLD)

When I was considering these same choices about six months ago, I choose the EZ Lock, for 2 reasons:

1. The Permalock base unit is so wide that the removeable drivers seat cannot be put back in (at least on a Braun conversion). It blocks access to the slots that the seat locks into. I don't plan on putting the original drivers seat into that position very often, but I wanted to preserve the ability to do so, just in case something happens, and I can't drive for some period of time. Another driver could drive me around if the original seat can be put back in. The EZ lock base unit is narrow enough that it does not block those slots and the original drivers seat can be put back in.

2. I had heard about occasional problems with the Permalock pin failing to retract, stranding the driver in the van until something could be done to fix the problem. The EZ lock could have a similar problem if the base will not release the bolt, but there is a lever that will release the chair if the button fails.

I also have a Permobil chair, and, in the 2 months I've had the EZ Lock bracket on the chair, the pin has never hit anything, even though I do go though several doorways with high thresholds. I agree with SCI-Nurse that on a Permobil chair, the chances of the pin hitting anything are greatly reduced because of the fact that the the pin is centered between the large drive wheels.