Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is this a pressure sore?

It is difficult to diagnose something through a picture where you can't touch it, and really look closely at it. I would say that it is a DTI.
    CKF

Denver, Colorado USA ---- C5/6 Complete 1985
    Here's my toe after the podiatrist, a non-SCI doc. He hadn't thought of the term "pressure sore" before, but said it was probably accurate. He drained it, and said it was full of pus, and sent it for a culture (or to identify the type of bacteria). I asked what the black part was, and he said, "Pus!" But as one of you guessed, my nurse, an LPN who sees it 5 days a week (for 15 years!) says it was originally a blood blister, probably caused by an impact to the callous part.

I told the doc not to debride it, because a nurse here at CC had said that. My nurse says the doc not only drained it, but he also cut away most of the callous, which my nurse thinks is a good thing.

The doc said to put neosporin and a band-aid twice a day. I do once a day because I only have help in the morning. He also prescribed Bactrim (oral antibiotic), but I never filled the prescription because the toe looked so good right away; and I'm taking a homeopathic remedy that my Homeopath said would probably work on it.

Now, one week later, there is A LOT of skin flaking off. My nurse says to leave it alone. Pulling on it would only make it bleed and possibly get reinfected.

My goal is to help it heal well, and prevent it from happening a fourth time. I plan to wear the open toed shoe for a while longer, and tilt my chair all the way back for a few minutes every afternoon to reduce the swelling that occurs every day (I'm up for 18 hours a day). These are two things I didn't do 6 months ago when this happened because I thought the new wider, softer (SAS) shoes I bought would solve the problem for good.

Your toe looks much better so whatever you are doing seems to be working! Trying to keep the swelling down and the area clean and moist are the best things that you can do right now.
    CKF

An update on my original post here. I've done a pretty good job of keeping pressure off the wound, and it has healed up pretty good. Shortly after my original post, the wound started sloughing off a layer of skin each time after I soaked it in the tub. I was careful not to pull at the skin, I just let it dry up and flake off naturally. After several layers of skin came off, there was one particularly thick layer right over the original dark spot. It dried up and fell off, and underneath it was a layer of healthy, albeit rather thin, skin. I'm still keeping pressure off it when I can but I think the danger of an open wound has passed. I'm just glad I noticed it when I did. The whole experience has been a wake up call to keep a closer eye on potential trouble spots.

Nice to hear Zero. Good job!
    "Music will always find its way to us, with or without business, politics, religion, or any other bullshit attached. Music survives everything, and like God it is always present. It needs no help, and suffers no hindrance. It has always found me, and with God's blessing and permission, it always will." Eric Clapton

yay!
    Never take life seriously, nobody gets out alive anyway

Frank's blog:
    http://www.franktalk-scurry.blogspot.com
    My regular blog:
    http://www.ithinkithinktoomuchblog.blogspot.com

If you are looking for a foot/heel protector while in bed, you may want to trysome of the products at this link: http://www.elderdepot.com/customer/h...FQkzawodXX_pqw

I have been using something similar to this for almost 2 years, and it has kept my feet free from pressure sores while in bed. Very reasonably priced, and they stay on your feet so you don't have to worry about your legs moving and disturbing pillows.

Glad to hear how well things are progressing, Zero. Sounds like you're doing everything right, especially letting the dry skin flake off at its own pace. As tempting as it may be at times to help a flake that looks like it's 99 percent free already along, the last thing you need is to develop a tiny open spot because that last 1 percent was attached more securely than it looked.

Keep up the good healing!
    It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who are willing to endure pain with patience.

~Julius Caesar

Denver, Colorado USA ---- C5/6 Complete 1985
    Quote Originally Posted by Zero View Post
    The whole experience has been a wake up call to keep a closer eye on potential trouble spots.
    Yeah, I hear that! Now, I get my aide to use a mirror or take a picture of anything suspicious, so I can see it and be appropriately alarmed into action.

Zero, can you post a recent picture? Not that I have a heel fetish, but it would help to understand your description better.

i do. i love zero and his heel sore.
    Never take life seriously, nobody gets out alive anyway

Frank's blog:
    http://www.franktalk-scurry.blogspot.com
    My regular blog:
    http://www.ithinkithinktoomuchblog.blogspot.com