Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is this a pressure sore?

Is this a pressure sore?

I noticed this spot on my right heel yesterday as I was getting out of the tub.

It's a bit smaller than a U.S. quarter, and it feels hard to the touch, like a callous. It's probably from lying in bed with this heel pressing down onto the mattress.

One potential complication is that I'm currently dealing with a massive DVT in this leg, running from below my knee all the way up to my filter. I'm on Lovenox and coumadin. I'm pretty sure this sore was here before I started taking these meds, but might they affect how this sore heals?
    Last edited by Lazlo; 03-30-2009 at 04:01 PM.

Yes, that is a classic deep tissue injury pressure ulcer of the heel. You need to keep all pressure off your heel, no shoes (get some boots you can wear in both bed and wheelchair that prevent any heel pressure). An area like this, if you are very lucky, and comply with the above, will gradually resolve over about 6-8 weeks and will peel off on its own.

No need for a dressing or any ointment (which won't help at all). Press lightly on it daily to assess. If it gets "boggy" or pus starts to come out the edges, or you get a lot of redness around it, you need to see your physician. Don't let it be debrided otherwise.

(KLD)

KLD,

I have always been somewhat confused about deep pressure injuries. Are they basically bruises? That, as with a typical pressure sore, won't heal properly w/ continues pressure?

Shoot Zero! It seems you can;t get a break can you. SO how is the pump doing? (As if you could even tell, what with the DVT, UTIs and now this!)
    T7-8 since Feb 2005

A DTI is a type of pressure ulcer. It is not a bruise, but bruises, with pressure can turn into DTIs. This picture above is a DTI, not a bruise.

(KLD)

Well I had a scheduled visit with my SCI doc today and showed him the spot. He said the same thing: keep all pressure off it and watch it closely, hope that it doesn't open up, and otherwise don't mess with it. I still have the prafo boots from when I was in rehab so I'll probably start wearing them again at least at night.

Sjean, you're right I can't get a break! The pump is up to 700mcg/day and still no noticeable improvement. I do think the spasticity is at least part of the cause of the sore since my legs curl up when I'm sleeping causing my heels to dig down into the mattress. I just had my first refill today. I hope this thing kicks in soon because I could really use at least a little relief.

I had something similar back in November except mine was more of a water blister (big bubble). I wore shoes with no backs & kept it elevated as much as possible and it healed up fine(like 2 months). Once it was flat I kept a loose bandaid on it just to keep from anything like socks or whatever rubbing it.
    Life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're gonna get.

zero, is your heel swollen as well? it's hard to tell from the pic. right away it looked like christopher's elbow to me when he had staph.
    Never take life seriously, nobody gets out alive anyway

Frank's blog:
    http://www.franktalk-scurry.blogspot.com
    My regular blog:
    http://www.ithinkithinktoomuchblog.blogspot.com

Chad has had those too .... sorry to see you have one too.
    Wife of Chad (C4/5 since 1988), mom of a great teenager

Quote Originally Posted by Zero View Post

Sjean, you're right I can't get a break! The pump is up to 700mcg/day and still no noticeable improvement. I do think the spasticity is at least part of the cause of the sore since my legs curl up when I'm sleeping causing my heels to dig down into the mattress. I just had my first refill today. I hope this thing kicks in soon because I could really use at least a little relief.
    I have to watch that myself, even with the pump. Mine do the same thing, and sometrimes I will wake up with a red spot, so far nothing worse, but I am careful to check every morning.

Glad they are still tweaking the pump. Hoping they find the right settings. Of course, once everything else clears up, you are probably going to be a bunch of spaghetti that needed only 450 mcgs!
    T7-8 since Feb 2005

"I'll probably" start wearing them...... NO absolutely you need to wear the PRAFOs, or the pressure will remain and not only won't it heal, it will get worse. So please even as inconvenient as they may be- it will go away. But if you don't it will surely get worse, or could look the same on the outside and suddenly explode into a huge wound from the inside out, and being so close to the calcaneous could put you at risk for osteomyelitis. Don't mean to scare you- I just see it all the time in clinic. An ounce of prevention..... well you know the rest. Please take care, Pam OTR/L