Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pain + hot flashes

Pain + hot flashes

I am taking morphine sulfate ER and hydrocodone 4x a day for spinal stenosis & arthritis.Have not had fusion yet. I had a complete hysterectomy 3 yrs. ago. I can't take hormones due to being a high risk for cancer. My hot flashes have been steadily getting worse. The more activity I do the worse they get. If they are hormone related shouldn't they be getting better after 3 yrs? Or could they be pain related and I need to scale up on the pain meds? I have been on the pain meds for 4 yrs. Please help me. When the hot flashes hit,(anywhere from 8 to 30) my body stiffins up and the pain & heat radiates from me.
    Last edited by sesau1; 03-27-2009 at 05:45 PM. Reason: explain more

I would recomend smoking weed. I do at night and love it. i have almost the same pain and Iv found weed does it. because the pain pills after so long will not be good on your system/liver. weed is natureal and grows in the dirt. its got to be here for a reason.
    Brrraaapppp!

I have heard it helps for pain. What I really want to know and my doctor doesn't know is why are the hot flashes getting worse. I don't think I could function mentally during the day with my son if I was continually smoking weed.

i am having a major problem with heat, it just started in the last couple of moths. i am male so i doubt it is hot flashes, the weird thing is it seems to get worse when i sit down, my face and head get real hot. i need a fan blowing on my face at 70 degreeesF , i wont make it through the summer.
    i started methadone as my 24/7 med, so that is one of the possibilities. i hope not since it is the best pain relief i have had for a long acting med, no horrible side effects.
    my prolactin levels were high , and now on carbegoline for that, but i believe the hot face started before i started the carbegoline.
    a lot of meds can change some hormone levels, definitely prolactin is affected bu narcotics and ant depressant, my levels went up before the anti depressant so most likely the narcotics.
    cauda equina

From my experience with narcotics, especially the short term acting narcotics: they caused sweating and hot flashes. I haven't had any problems since switching to MS Contin alone...no short term acting drugs. This was certainly true with the pain patches. Could also be the beginnings of withdrawal. Seeing as though you have been taking that dose for 4 years, you probably need to increase the Morphine Sulfate. I would never say to increase the other since I don't think short term narcotics should ever be used for chronic pain.

thank you

Thanks for replying. I have been suspecting this for a long time with no one else to agree it is possible. My primary care provider does not know about these complications. I would like to find a medical reference to this to take to him on my next visit on the 9th of April. Do you know of any?

Well I am going to see my doctor today and I am going to ask for a stellate ganglion block. Anyone know about it?

Google it for good info and from what i have read i would opt for acupuncture first.
    I had surgery for spinal stenosis pain. The doctor fused and added apparatus (Metal rods and bone graft) and it worked like a charm 5 yrs ago - its just moved higher now so pain is back and in my legs again. I too have found it unbearable going through the hot flashes and have come off my oxycontin (easily enough too after taking for 5 yrs) and the hot flashes have almost gone. Not sure now what im going to do to relieve the chronic pain. 1300 mgs of tylenol and 100 mgs froben twice a day, doesnt seem to cut it - i intermittently add the tylenol back pain reliever (robaxin) and it helps some but walking any distance is still painful when i get home.

Weed Huh? How about Su-E-Side?

Quote Originally Posted by K004H View Post
    I would recomend smoking weed. I do at night and love it. i have almost the same pain and Iv found weed does it. because the pain pills after so long will not be good on your system/liver. weed is natureal and grows in the dirt. its got to be here for a reason.
    My pain runs in the 4 to 8 zone 24/7. I use Fentynal Patch 75 24/7 - Ibuprofun 8 a day - Endocet 10/325 4 a day - Lyrica 50 mg 3 times a day - Diazepam 5mg 2 times a day - of course none of these really relieves me of pain. The pain now is causing long term headaches because of the tension through my body puts so much pressure on my body/mind. Now I am taking 2 aspirin a day just for the headaches.

So, ". weed is natureal and grows in the dirt."

I smoke marijuana and yes it helps but it DOES NOT relieve the pain. It relieves my mind, relaxes me to a point where I can sit through a movie at home and somewhat enjoy myself. It allows me to relax. I am unable to smoke all day long.

(I have a pipe on my night stand, and about 4 nights a week I wake up to the pain and have several tokes one Endocet one Diazepam and 4 Ibuprofen)

Su- E - side; doncha love the phonics of this word?

Si - E - Side "Medically assisted suicide (euthanasia, or the right to die) is currently a controversial ethical issue involving people who are terminally ill, in extreme pain..."

WHY should this be controversial? Who is against it? Are those that oppose it in EXTREME PAIN for more than 12 hours a day? In OREGON it is legal and this is where I will go. I am looking into the process of how it can take place.

Iʻve read some posts, not my posts; "Oh no, please donʻt think that way. Donʻt take your life I beg you!" "Think of your family and friends." Well in truth your family and friends are in no way able to pretend that you are doing fine. PAIN shows itself to anyone close to those with chronic pain.

Are these oppose-ers in EXTREME PAIN? If you are not, then shut your mouth, because you have NO IDEA of what it is like to gradually become somewhat of a hermit, unable to socialize or make new friends, enjoy fun activities, belly laugh, in short: Have good upbeat fun!

EXTREME PAIN - Who can live for over 10 to 20 years with EXTREME pain?

Who are you? What super powers do you possess? I have lived with this pain for over 22 years, have had several doctors cry and were unable to hide the tears from me during consultations. My family, my spouse all KNOW how I suffer. I do not talk about often. I keep a lot of it to myself. The pain will only get worse for those who experience it.

DREZ: I am a candidate for the DREZ surgery at Craig - am in the process of getting the needed CAT scans and MRIʻs necessary before Doctor Falci will make the final approval. I NEED this surgery and will have it done, otherwise I will be looking at leaving my body voluntarily.

I am a paraplegic of 32 years - the mean and nasty pain for over 22 years -

Now today - having spilled hot tea down my shoe 6 days ago, burning my foot - a Deep Second Degree burn - there is a maybe 20% chance that a skin graft can be done - otherwise it is amputation. This is two doctors opinion.

So, after the foot: DREZ - Then?
    Gary Is = L-1 Para for 34 years.....................
    ~~~~~~~~~~

i started methadone as my 24/7 med, so that is one of the possibilities. i hope not s

Quote Originally Posted by metronycguy View Post
    i started methadone as my 24/7 med, so that is one of the possibilities. i hope not since it is the best pain relief i have had for a long acting med, no horrible side effects.......
    i started methadone as my 24/7 med, so that is one of the possibilities. i hope not since it is the best pain relief i have had for a long acting med, no horrible side effects.

Okay now Mike, Methadone is a med that I have not yet explored. Your post was made in 2009 - is it still working?

Thanks

Gary
    Gary Is = L-1 Para for 34 years.....................
    ~~~~~~~~~~