Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gardening

Gardening

I've started really getting into gardening this year. More than I ever have before. I found an online seed dealer where you can buy all types of different seeds. I ordered $50 worth. Now I'm going to order some more. I just started looking in the chinese medicinal herbs section and found this plant.

Astragalus
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Astragalus

A. propinquus is used in traditional Chinese medicine, where it is used to speed healing and treat diabetes.[4] In western herbal medicine, Astragalus is primarily considered a tonic for enhancing metabolism and digestion and is consumed as a tea or soup made from the (usually dried) roots of the plant, often in combination with other medicinal herbs. It is also traditionally used to strengthen the immune system and in the healing of wounds and injuries.[5]
    A. propinquus has been asserted to be a tonic that can improve the functioning of the lungs, adrenal glands and the gastrointestinal tract, increase metabolism, sweating, promote healing and reduce fatigue.[6]
    There is a report in the Journal of Ethnopharmacology that Astragalus membranaceus can show "immunomodulating and immunorestorative effects."[7] It has been shown to increase the production of interferon and to activate immune cells such as macrophages.[3]
    The biotech company Geron Corporation has determined that a molecule from Astragalus propinquus root called TA-65 is a telomerase activator. According to PRNewswire, TA Sciences, has a license from Geron to sell TA-65 and is now selling it as a neutraceutical anti-aging product at their TA Sciences Center in New York City.[
    So anyway, i have just germinated about 18 sweet corn plants, 6 sphagetti squash, 6 kale, 6 assorted tomato plants, tons of marigolds and coleus. Now that they have sprouted I'm goign to have to find a place to put them all. I imagine it being some great physical and occupational therapy.

I'm also going to be doing some bonsai trees. I just got some religiosa bodhi seeds and some japanese bonsais.

I'd like to start a semi-large pond and use solar panels with a pump to water all the plants. Anyone have anything like that?

Yep, here too. I've got 100 or so herb and vegetable sprouts going and more pots of bamboo than I know what to do with. I fashioned an indoor lighting setup to get the seedlings started and rooted in and have been slowly weathering them outside.

Great ot/pt and something to keep the mind activated.

I'm doing the same thing but only 25 seedlings at a time. I live in a small condo with not too much room to plant. I started 72 seedlings at my parents house and planting them in a few weeks. When I go back home I'll take some pictures. I can't wait to start harvesting and enjoying fresh heirloom herbs, fruits and veggies
    Never Give Up!

I didn't last year, but have tried growing some of my own herbs. I agree that it's fun and a good excuse to get outside for a while. The last time I grew garlic, I ended up with some sort of garlic and onion thing. It smelled like garlic and had a close taste, but the head came apart like an onion. It was weird, but worked.
    C2/3 quad since February 20, 1985.

That's awesome! haha I'm glad I'm not the only one doing this.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpentalic
    Yep, here too. I've got 100 or so herb and vegetable sprouts going and more pots of bamboo than I know what to do with. I fashioned an indoor lighting setup to get the seedlings started and rooted in and have been slowly weathering them outside.

Great ot/pt and something to keep the mind activated
    What kind of indoor lighting set up? I've been getting into that myself. I was thinking about doing LED lights (less wattage and heat) but I want to build them myself because they're expensive. I figure if I make a really efficient one I can have a nano reef aquarium or more. hehe

I have just used full specturm flouresecent lights and have had great luck with them.

Quote Originally Posted by XYNaPSE View Post
    That's awesome! haha I'm glad I'm not the only one doing this.

What kind of indoor lighting set up? I've been getting into that myself. I was thinking about doing LED lights (less wattage and heat) but I want to build them myself because they're expensive. I figure if I make a really efficient one I can have a nano reef aquarium or more. hehe
    Whoa I'm old school I guess, like momo I just use full spectrum fluorescents to supplement the no-sun up here and was gonna say that led's wouldn't work. Had no idea what was out there, after looking into it I'll be picking some up asap, thx for the tip.

Quote Originally Posted by alpentalic View Post
    Whoa I'm old school I guess, like momo I just use full spectrum fluorescents to supplement the no-sun up here and was gonna say that led's wouldn't work. Had no idea what was out there, after looking into it I'll be picking some up asap, thx for the tip.
    Just recently, I found out that LED lights can be used as grow lights. Less power and a lot less heat. They're expensive though so I'm trying to learn how to build them to save cost. hehe I think I could probably make a pretty good one for around $100 that would be $500 retail.

http://www.ledgrowlights.com/

LED grow lights combine the gentleness of fluorescents with the growing power of HIDs.

Plus the LED's last for 50,000 hours.

I've gotta wait another month or so then I'll go buy my plants from Lowe's. We are growing tomatoes, bell and banana peppers (maybe) and cucumbers. This years garden will be much smaller than in years past, but I still can't wait to get started.