Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: suprapubic catheter stuck... HELP, please!!

Question suprapubic catheter stuck... HELP, please!!

hi, everyone

i've had a suprapubic cath since june/2008. a size 12 fr was inserted then one month later it was increased to 14fr with no problems. i stayed with the 14 until the beginning of this year and it was wonderful! no leakage, no infections, none of the hassles i had with my foley.

in january i had an yeast infection that was left untreated by my urlogist for too long. i was leaking through my urethra ( bladder neck wasn't closed when i had the SP inserted ) and feeling miserable. urologist told me to go to my PCP, who requested results from the samples sent to the uro lab and confirmed i had an yeast infection. he, then, treated me with diflucan.

after being treated, my urologist decided to keep increasing the size of the catheter. i went to a size 16 with no problems BUT when i went to change it to a size 18... the catheter would just NOT want to come out of my bladder. they deflated the balloon and everything, but the urologist just kept pulling and pulling and after almost 1/2 hour of agony ( because it hurt like hell, like he was pulling my insides out ) he finally got it out and inserted the 18 fr, which also hurt very much ( i'm a c4-5 but i have sensation down there ).

yesterday i went again to change the catheter and he put a 20 fr.... the catheter was totally stuck again! i went through the same process again, the same horrible pain again... and the pain lasts for 3-4 days. the stoma hurts and it hurts inside the bladder. he gave me some percocet.... it helps some, but the pain is still there.

i have to go back on april21st and needless to say i am very afraid and dreading going there. uro said he won't increase the size anymore, 20 should do the job. ( ohhh, i forgot to mention that i've been leaking through my urethra especially very early in the morning since he put the 16 fr )

if you are still with me, i thank you very much for reading all this. i don't know what to do.
    KLD, dr. young, any advice, please? has this happened to anyone?

help, please!

thank you
    lola
    Last edited by Lola_wheelie; 03-25-2009 at 02:33 PM. Reason: typos
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing" ~ edmund burker

c4-5 quad

Quote Originally Posted by Lola_wheelie View Post
    hi, everyone

i've had a suprapubic cath since june/2008. a size 12 fr was inserted then one month later it was increased to 14fr with no problems. i stayed with the 14 until the beginning of this year and it was wonderful! no leakage, no infections, none of the hassles i had with my foley.

in january i had an yeast infection that was left untreated by my urlogist for too long. i was leaking through my urethra ( bladder neck wasn't closed when i had the SP inserted ) and feeling miserable. urologist told me to go to my PCP, who requested results from the samples sent to the uro lab and confirmed i had an yeast infection. he, then, treated me with diflucan.

after being treated, my urologist decided to keep increasing the size of the catheter. i went to a size 16 with no problems BUT when i went to change it to a size 18... the catheter would just NOT want to come out of my bladder. they deflated the balloon and everything, but the urologist just kept pulling and pulling and after almost 1/2 hour of agony ( because it hurt like hell, like he was pulling my insides out ) he finally got it out and inserted the 18 fr, which also hurt very much ( i'm a c4-5 but i have sensation down there ).

yesterday i went again to change the catheter and he put a 20 fr.... the catheter was totally stuck again! i went through the same process again, the same horrible pain again... and the pain lasts for 3-4 days. the stoma hurts and it hurts inside the bladder. he gave me some percocet.... it helps some, but the pain is still there.

i have to go back on april21st and needless to say i am very afraid and dreading going there. uro said he won't increase the size anymore, 20 should do the job. ( ohhh, i forgot to mention that i've been leaking through my urethra especially very early in the morning since he put the 16 fr )

if you are still with me, i thank you very much for reading all this. i don't know what to do.

help, please!

thank you
    lola
    Lola,

I am sorry to hear about this. This is the first time that I have heard of this much discomfort and pain associated with the catheter changes. I also wonder why the urologist wants to increase the catheter size? If the 16 was working in the past, why does he want to go up? Perhaps the SCI-Nurses could enlighten me but I don't understand the rationale.

Wise.

While a 20 or 22 Fr. catheter is the most common sized used for SP indwelling catheters, it is not required. If you drain well, and don't leak around the catheter with a smaller size, that is acceptable. I would challenge the urologist about their rationale for increasing the size and ask why the stoma is so tight. What type of catheter are you using?

(KLD)

I think increasing size is causing the problem.. and i've had SP since 2005 i was having the same problem...and first it was 16 fr then after 15 days my doctor increased the size 18fr....but i was feeling pain [back pain near kidney area ] still some times i feel back pain and back pressure...esp when i use pure silicone catheter..silicone catheter doesn't suit me...i am using regular silicone coated catheter ...

so i think if 16 was fine then you should go back to 16 and the "same brand name" you were using before .... or you can try different type of catheter with 18 size and some meds for bladder spasticity... but right now don't use 20 fr ...
    C-7/8 Incomplete, 27-02-1999.
    my last MRI was done in 2006 and it has discussed "a cystic formation in the cord." syringomyelia.

thank you so much for the replies, dr young, KLD and lost...i appreciate it!

KLD, i'm using a silicone catheter...i don't know the brand, i'm sorry! i know it's light blue and the ring that has the numbers and the size of the cath is white.

can i go back to the 14fr ( the one that worked the best ) now that the stoma is bigger?
    do you think the catheter is stuck because the stoma is too tight?

lost, i take enablex for overreacting bladder. i tried other meds such as ditropan, detrol and detrol la and i couldn't stand the side effects.

dr, young, my doctor says that 20fr is the correct size for a sp cath and it drains better, since i've been leaking. <roll eyes> it was so good when i had the 14fr!

thank you

lola
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing" ~ edmund burker

c4-5 quad

Go back smaller imo.
    coolbreeze c6/7

Keep on moving don't stop!

I tried a 100% silicone catheter twice with my sp and had to make a trip to the urologist both times to get it out. The 100% silicone worked fine in my urethra but not the sp stoma. I only use silicone coated latex now and have no problems with changing them at home.

If you compare a 100% silicone to a silicone coated latex catheter after use, you will see the 100% silicone balloon does not deflate as well due to the lack of elasticity of pure silicone. If you must use all silicone, I would use the smallest balloon possible with only the inflation you need so as to not stretch the silicone out resulting in the problematic balloon wrinkles.

Many blessings!
    T-4 complete since 1973

I wouldd like to know if anyone with a super pubic cather in them has ever experienced having like blood stomas around the cather sites? I have had them for the last year and my urologist has had to caterize them about every 6 weeks. I just had surgery 2 weeks ago for the doctor to go in and remove them. They just came back 2 weeks latter. I have had my cather for 5 years and I have had this problem off and on ever since i have had psedoumous in my urine. I clean and change my cather every 3 weeks. I have Multiple Sclerosis and that's why I have one in. And yes I have had sex with one in. I'm female. The men at first aren't real found with it. I'm single. Lol. This is the only thing that I am having trouble with. I love my super pubic and I will not go back to self cather. I can drink and drink and I use the belly bags when I go out in public. They are a life safer. I am so glad i found this site. Natalie

Some people are more prone to the formation of hypergranulation tissue like this than others. I assume your urologist is usually using silver nitrate sticks on the tissue? It is more unusual to have so much that surgery is needed. Sometimes a stoma revision will help, but if you are also an unusual healer (do you get keloids too??) it may just reoccur.

Most people can go 6 weeks between indwelling catheter changes, esp. if they drink at least 3 quarts of water daily. What are you cleaning the stoma with?

Glad you are otherwise happy with your SP.

(KLD)

Quote Originally Posted by Lola_wheelie View Post
    hi, everyone

help, please!

thank you
    lola
    Lola,
    Hello ! I've had an SP catheter since 2/05. It's a 20FR size. I'm a male & not slim n trim. I don't even know that the catheter is there most of time as I have decreased sesation in my lower extremities. I wear a leg bag during the day when I go out or if at home I use a catheter plug & run to the bathroom when I need to empy my bladder. I take out the catheter plug to drain my bladder. At night I use the bed bag. I put in a plastic basin just in case it should leak during the night as there is wall to wall carpeting in my bedroom. I also keep folded in 1/2 under the SP catheter a 4 X 4 gauze sponge to catch the drainage from the SP stoma. Even after over 4 years there is still some drainage from the stoma. If I don't put the gauze sponge under the the SP catheter it makes a mess out of my underwear.