i've had a suprapubic cath since june/2008. a size 12 fr was inserted then one month later it was increased to 14fr with no problems. i stayed with the 14 until the beginning of this year and it was wonderful! no leakage, no infections, none of the hassles i had with my foley.
in january i had an yeast infection that was left untreated by my urlogist for too long. i was leaking through my urethra ( bladder neck wasn't closed when i had the SP inserted ) and feeling miserable. urologist told me to go to my PCP, who requested results from the samples sent to the uro lab and confirmed i had an yeast infection. he, then, treated me with diflucan.
after being treated, my urologist decided to keep increasing the size of the catheter. i went to a size 16 with no problems BUT when i went to change it to a size 18... the catheter would just NOT want to come out of my bladder. they deflated the balloon and everything, but the urologist just kept pulling and pulling and after almost 1/2 hour of agony ( because it hurt like hell, like he was pulling my insides out ) he finally got it out and inserted the 18 fr, which also hurt very much ( i'm a c4-5 but i have sensation down there ).
yesterday i went again to change the catheter and he put a 20 fr.... the catheter was totally stuck again! i went through the same process again, the same horrible pain again... and the pain lasts for 3-4 days. the stoma hurts and it hurts inside the bladder. he gave me some percocet.... it helps some, but the pain is still there.
i have to go back on april21st and needless to say i am very afraid and dreading going there. uro said he won't increase the size anymore, 20 should do the job. ( ohhh, i forgot to mention that i've been leaking through my urethra especially very early in the morning since he put the 16 fr )
if you are still with me, i thank you very much for reading all this. i don't know what to do.
KLD, dr. young, any advice, please? has this happened to anyone?