Thread: i need advice....PLEASE

i need advice....PLEASE

hi everyone...i am a business ad graduate and I really want to work abroad but my course of study is not in demand overseas... So i am planning to take a caregiver course of 6 months. And when i land a caregiver job abroad, i have the intention of studying a course that will lead to being a nurse (I think it's called LVN). is it possible??? i really want to stick to that plan. i am just wondering if it would be easy to get a job after taking the course. Coz as i was browsing the net, i keep on seeing large number of caregiver certified who are promoting they're self to attract employers. I am also having this notion that it is ONLY in Canada that a Filipino caregiver can apply... not in UK (since they have this new rule i believe),not in USA, not in Australia and not even in NZ. am i right???

i just wanna be enlightened and i am really curious...

Hi Shoxanne .... I'm sorry I don't have an answer to your questions I'm sure someone will chime in with a response but I would encourage you to fill in your profile with a little more info ..... what country are you in??
    Welcome to CC!

Obieone
    ~ Be the change you wish to see in the world ~ Mahatma Gandi

" calling all Angels ...... calling all Angels ....walk me through this one .. don't leave me alone .... calling all Angels .... calling all Angels .... we're tryin' and we're hopin' cause we're not sure how ....... this .... goes ..."
    Jane Siberry

I have no advise either...most, if not all us here on this caregiver forum are not here because we thought one day we'd like to take care of someone...we're here because our loved one was injured and can no longer care for themselves...we learned how to "caregive". (oh how I hate that word)...and we learned the hard way...just doing it and in the process hoping and praying we were doing it "right"...it is difficult and often demanding...often 24/7...In the US you would be in demand...the healthcare field needs nurses...I have no idea about overseas...judy

She is from the Philippines.
    The test of success is not what you do when you are on top. Success is how high you bounce when you hit the bottom
    --General George Patton

Complex problems need to be solved collectively.
    ––Paul Nussbaum
    usc87.blogspot.com

Hello Shoxanne - The caregiver course will assist you once you become a caregiver, however will not qualify you to be a LVN, or a RN (Nurse). The criteria to be an LVN requires a certificate/license which can be obtained at an accredited vocational program or college. The program takes approx 2 years to complete.

The next step up on the ladder is becoming an RN, which is a Registered Nurse. I THINK you will still need to take at least 2 years of further education if you have your Bachelor's Degree already, if not possibly another 4 years. Hopefully others will chime in on the qualifications for an RN and clarify, as I'm not 100% sure.

The RN's typically have higher level responsibilities, and are much better compensated than the LVN's.

Hope this helps...

Quote Originally Posted by Shoxanne View Post
    hi everyone...i am a business ad graduate and I really want to work abroad but my course of study is not in demand overseas... So i am planning to take a caregiver course of 6 months. And when i land a caregiver job abroad, i have the intention of studying a course that will lead to being a nurse (I think it's called LVN). is it possible??? i really want to stick to that plan. i am just wondering if it would be easy to get a job after taking the course. Coz as i was browsing the net, i keep on seeing large number of caregiver certified who are promoting they're self to attract employers. I am also having this notion that it is ONLY in Canada that a Filipino caregiver can apply... not in UK (since they have this new rule i believe),not in USA, not in Australia and not even in NZ. am i right???

i just wanna be enlightened and i am really curious...

Hi Shoxanne,

I'm a family caregiver (for my husband) but I'm also an RN working in nurse recruitment. You will want to do your research thoroughly before you make any decisions. I don't know about international nursing employment options outside the US but the US has scaled way back in hiring international RN's. My hospital system hired 35 RN's from the Philipines about 7 years ago. These were RN's that had their Bachelors degree in nursing. I am doubtful that you would find many options with just an LVN. Since the tightening of visa's after 911, it is much harder to hire international nurses in the US that do not already have their permanent visa. In many parts of the US the nurse shortage is lessening because of the economy. In the midwest we are laying off nurses.

Hope this helps!

Patty

Thanx for your help everyone... by the way i'm from the Philippines... just to update you, i'm no longer pursuing that previous plan. I am now going to take BSN. It's gonna be a longer wait coz I might be able to finish it in 2.5 to 3 years. I was actually just trying to find a faster route but I might not succeed with that kind of mind setting so I'd rather do something slowly (or longer) but surely. Thanks again!