Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: VA contaminated colonoscopy equipment in Miami

  1. #1
    Senior Member rdf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Someplace between Nowhere and Goodbye
    Posts
    12,961

    VA contaminated colonoscopy equipment in Miami

    Just a heads up...

    VA Contaminated colonoscopy gear
    - Thousands of veterans in South Florida may have been exposed to hepatitis and HIV because of contaminated equipment after getting colonoscopies at the Miami Veterans Affairs Healthcare System, officials announced Monday.

    Two Florida lawmakers are asking for an inspector general's inquiry.
    "The VA is a model of the type of health care we provide our veterans, and when mistakes like this occur, it undermines the efficacy of the entire system," said Rep. Kendrick B. Meek, D-Florida, in a news release. Meek, along with Sen. Bill Nelson, D-Florida, is requesting an official inquiry by the inspector general of the VA.

    In a letter to retired Gen. Eric Shinseki, the secretary of Veterans Affairs, Nelson said he is also concerned about possible contaminated equipment at facilities in Murfreesboro, Tennessee, and Augusta, Georgia.

    "I am requesting that the VA Office of Inspector General begin an investigation into the potential problems of contamination; whether any patient has contracted an infection from unsterilized equipment; and, most importantly, how we can prevent such problems from happening again," Nelson wrote.

    "Finally, I urge the VA to commit to providing ongoing medical care in cases where it is responsible for exposing someone to a disease."

    On Monday, the VA sent letters to 3,260 people who may have had colonoscopies between May 2004 and March 12, 2009. Hospital officials said a review of safety procedures found that tubing used in endoscope procedures was rinsed but not disinfected.
    More
    Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
    Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

    Thanks!

  2. #2
    Had a similar situation at a large non-profit hospital here in San Diego a number of years ago. Unbelievable.

    Just so you know, the VA has taken this very seriously. All VA hospitals have been required to review and tighten up procedures for cleaning of scopes and all other reusable patient equipment. There has been a major push on this with top level leadership very involved in these reviews. They spent 1/2 day in our SCI GU suite just talking about and looking at how we manage cystoscopy scopes (which go to central processing for sterilization after each use instead of being cleaned in the GU suite). I know they have done something similar in all our special procedures areas (where colonoscopy and sigmoidoscopies and other endoscopies are done).

    I think you can be assured that this type of thing will not be happening again. If you are concerned about your local VA, I would encourage you to call the Risk Management/Process Improvement department to find out what is being done about this issue locally.

    (KLD)

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    Had a similar situation at a large non-profit hospital here in San Diego a number of years ago. Unbelievable.

    Just so you know, the VA has taken this very seriously.
    Very believable. Unbelievably unacceptable, irresponsible, apathetic for trained professionals.

    I have to question if it took 9 years for that 'large non-profit hospital in San Diego' to clean up its act, like what's going on at the Murfreesboro VA here:

    http://www.wsmv.com/health/18401863/detail.html

    Hospital Volunteer Says Hospital Tools Dirty. January 9, 2009

    A volunteer at Murfreesboro, TN VA [ Harriett Howard, a WWII veteran ] who said she's seen instruments delivered day after day in the women's and dental clinic for 20 years said they're often dirty, even after supposedly being sterilized more than 30 miles away.

    "On yeah, if you looked closely you could see it and if you didn't examine it, you couldn't see it, and you may have used a non-sterilized instrument," she said.

    Howard said since 2000, the tools have been packed up each night, placed in a box and shipped to Nashville's VA Hospital to be sterilized, a 60 mile round-trip.

    "York should have its own sterilization unit reopened," she said. "If you run out of instruments, you can go to that department and get you some sterile equipment to use right on the spot. Here, you'd have to wait."

    Congressman Bart Gordon's office is now involved. They said they've called York and want to know how many patients are affected.

    Anyone affected will be notified through a phone call or the mail... will offer free testing to all affected veterans and will provide them with additional medical care, if needed.
    No mention of what is being done to resolve the 'dirty tool' issue.

    Harriett Howard, soon to be added to VA whistleblower site...
    .

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Spring Hill , Florida
    Posts
    616
    Quote Originally Posted by quadvet View Post
    Very believable. Unbelievably unacceptable, irresponsible, apathetic for trained professionals.

    I have to question if it took 9 years for that 'large non-profit hospital in San Diego' to clean up its act, like what's going on at the Murfreesboro VA here:

    http://www.wsmv.com/health/18401863/detail.html


    No mention of what is being done to resolve the 'dirty tool' issue.

    Harriett Howard, soon to be added to VA whistleblower site...
    .
    I just had an Endoscopy & Colonoscopy this past Monday March 23rd, 2009. I have a history of Viral Myocarditis & also I have aortic insufficiency so I'm suppose to pre-medicate w/antibiotics & also the day after any time I have any dental work, invasive procedures or surgery. This time I didn't get any antiobiotics pre or post procedures. My PCP guartanteed me that I would get the antibiotics on the ward while I was in the hospital prepping for the Colonoscopy. I was admitted on Friday March 20th & had the procedures this past Monday March 23rd. I'm infection prone so I hope I don't get sick from the scopes not being cleaned properly like has occurred at other VA's. My PCP is going to told when I see him on Monday March 30th that I didn't get the pre & post procedures antibiotics.

  5. #5
    [QUOTE=quadvet;1019845]Very believable. Unbelievably unacceptable, irresponsible, apathetic for trained professionals.

    I have to question if it took 9 years fl[/URL]

    congressman should have their medical coverage tirned over to the va, meaning they have to get all their mecial needs , just as the veterans do.
    see how fast this stuff stops..
    united states is getting very similar to russia and the old soviet block nations, the govt people had all the bennies , moneys and healthcare, the rank and file got nothing.
    it wasnt this way 10 years ago in the usa..
    cauda equina

  6. #6
    Alright guys, I'm the only one around here allowed to complain, you're cutting in on my action.

    Quote Originally Posted by RAFS View Post
    I just had an Endoscopy & Colonoscopy this past Monday March 23rd, 2009. I have a history of Viral Myocarditis & also I have aortic insufficiency so I'm suppose to pre-medicate w/antibiotics & also the day after any time I have any dental work, invasive procedures or surgery. This time I didn't get any antiobiotics pre or post procedures. My PCP guartanteed me that I would get the antibiotics on the ward while I was in the hospital prepping for the Colonoscopy. I was admitted on Friday March 20th & had the procedures this past Monday March 23rd. I'm infection prone so I hope I don't get sick from the scopes not being cleaned properly like has occurred at other VA's. My PCP is going to told when I see him on Monday March 30th that I didn't get the pre & post procedures antibiotics.
    You should be safe, Bob, I think they've got the problem under control now. Though, if you need to have, and were guaranteed pre & post-procedure antibiotics, I would definitely speak up. I adapted a motto long go: I have had to become assertive about my healthcare as I'm the one who cares the most about it. Remember that.

  7. #7
    OMG! A tool that went up the assholes of others was reused without sterilization for future procedures? I'd feel sick.


  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Type Français View Post
    OMG! A tool that went up the assholes of others was reused without sterilization for future procedures? I'd feel sick.
    Yeah that's something, huh! Hi Todd!

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by quadvet View Post
    Yeah that's something, huh! Hi Todd!
    Hey, dude!


  10. #10

    Update: Colonoscopies suspended Miami VA hospital

    "Colonoscopies have been suspended at the Miami Veterans Affairs hospital where thousands of veterans may have been exposed to hepatitis or HIV because equipment used in the procedures was not properly sanitized." (more)

Similar Threads

  1. went to the miami heat home game on june 2nd in miami
    By GJ2 in forum Recreation, Sports, Travel, & Hobbies
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-06-2011, 09:06 PM
  2. Contaminated urine culture?
    By Rollin Rick in forum Care
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-04-2008, 04:36 PM
  3. News for Canadians affected by Hep C thru contaminated Blood
    By Raven in forum Health & Science News
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-16-2006, 09:14 PM
  4. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-20-2002, 01:32 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •