Thread: [quad] device for climbing long ramps

[quad] device for climbing long ramps

hi there!!! just wanted to ask you people, do you know of any device that helps quads to climb long ramps in manual wheelchairs???

grade aids

slow, but they prevent you from rolling backwards
    Get involved in politics as if your life depended on it, because it does. -- Justin Dart

I shall not tolerate ignorance or hate speech on this site.

Fortress used to make a add on power system for manual chairs but it has been discontinued. They maybe able to refer you to somewhere to learn more. Also, Roll Aid distributed a wheelchair power adapter as an add-on power unit designed to convert 18- or 16-inch wide manual folding wheelchairs to powered wheelchairs. Their number is 1-800-831-8580. They have also discontinued this product but maybe able to refer you to a current supplier. I am familiar with some of these unit in the past and they seemed quite awkward to use. Another option is a porch lift. The grade aid comment above is the least costly solution and can be added to most manual wheelchair models.

Robert Harvey
    Last edited by SCI-Nurse; 03-24-2009 at 03:44 PM. Reason: Removal of spam link

Grade aids or hill holders, or as we call them, "thumb smashers" are one option. You might also want to look at power assist wheels such as the eMotion.

(KLD)

Another option is to just spin sideways (perpendicular to the ramp) to rest. I do this on big Seattle hills, and it works well for me.

build up your strength and stamina bud

grade aids look great!!! does anyone have a complete picture of it including the wheel??? on internet i could only find pictures that does not show the wheel....

they attach to the frame no special wheel required
    Get involved in politics as if your life depended on it, because it does. -- Justin Dart

http://www.livewellmedical.com/index...oducts_id=1298

there's been a topic discussion started by november on hill holders a search will bring it up

I dont recommend hill holders at all. I do what jgrant does works very well.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer