Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Another/Different Parking Thread...

Another/Different Parking Thread...

OK, I've had it. What good is it to have van accessible spots is anybody with a blue tag can park there? We went out to eat Saturday nite (Longhorn Steak House, awesome food), and I had to park in an adjacent parking lot. The hc parking was full with the only van accessible spot taking by a vehicle without a lift/ramp.
    The way the current laws are written, businesses with more than "X" number of spots must have van accessible spots, but doesn't make them van accessible only, or even enforceable. My goal is to try and get that changed. Does anybody have any suggestions or requests that go along with this?
    Stupidity ain't illegal, but it sure is inconvenient.

Help me support the 2010 Bike MS.

No but I wish you luck. There is one hospital in nashville that labels their spots this way bu tit isn't enforced. You know we can't even get people to not park illegally let alone go further and designate. Personally I think there should be wheelchair spots with room for ramps and then other spots with pictures of blue guys on walkers so the knee replacement people will know they don't need crosshatch spots.
    If you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.

Sometimes it is easier to widen doors than it is to open minds.

i don't have a van with a ramp, but the frustration level is the same. i drive a two door car, but if i can not wheel to the door, and open the door all the way, i can not transfer. if you are in a wheelchair, most likely you need a wide parking spot.

park diagonally on two spots
    Get involved in politics as if your life depended on it, because it does. -- Justin Dart

I shall not tolerate ignorance or hate speech on this site.

Mostly I park way out in the parking lot to get some exercise and let people in more need then I, use the spot. Sorry to say though that I do use the van spots once in awhile if nothing else is open and it's very snowy. The snow/slush mix is rough in parking lots and is about the only time I really need to use a spot.
    Andrew

I have used two regular spots before, and am just waiting for the ticket to come. I also understand why people with a hc placard/plate will use the van accessible spots. This is also part of my complaint, the ADA was and is a needed and valid law, but was rushed thru without much thought. What good is a half-assed law that doesn't allow for enforcement?
    Stupidity ain't illegal, but it sure is inconvenient.

Help me support the 2010 Bike MS.

A quick solution to van spots; put them at the end of h/c spots. They are always the first spots, people will always park closest first, so waalaa, van spots are gone. Put them last and they would stay open longer. I can wheel further than people w/ walking/breathing issues anyway.
    "a T10, who'd Rather be ridin'; than rollin'"

I have a wheelchair placard that is light blue. The others have the placard that is dark blue. In oregon it is illegal for a non wheelchair user to park in the wheelchair spots, but the DMV doesnt tell anyone that. I think that unless you are a wheelchair user you should get a different colored placard. It would help immensely if the DMV would tell dark blue placard holders that they cannot use the wheelchair marked spots. It is a free for all here. Those folks should have different colored placards and a good explanation of what that entitles them to. The only thing they are entitled to is free parking at a metered spot that is metered for more than an hour minimum. That is all. It does not entitle them to parking in the wheelchair marked spots. But no one knows that. Maybe I'll make it my new mission for the summer to get the word out.

Quote Originally Posted by Liz321 View Post
    park diagonally on two spots
    That is at bad as parking in the lines as far as am concerned. I say the same thing park on the end or back into a spot or if you are using a lift 9 out of 10 you are using a power chair park down where nobody will bother you.
    Quote Originally Posted by fuentejps View Post
    injecting is way better for your body. but imo opinion its the only safe way

I have used the van only, I get around with a cane but it isnt easy. Sorry to say I am handicapped and as long as it is van accessable and not van only if it is the only option I will use it. And I wont apologize, being a quad sucks dosnet it.