Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A blog about living with a spinal cord stimulator..

A blog about living with a spinal cord stimulator..

Hi everyone:

I am a 29 yr. old woman with severe chronic back and leg pain (neuropathic pain). It started when I was 16 and, after having 2 surgeries, I developed significant epidural fibrosis and the pain got worse. I've been on all sorts of pain meds. but, after one of them was causing me a scary heart problem, I decided to trial a neurostimulator. I had the perm. implant put in on 1/16/2009 (it is helping but I am still on methadone and morphine).

When I was trying to decide whether to do the surgery, I looked for as much information as possible but wasn't able to find anything that really talked about a patient's experience, without it being a patient who represented one of the companies. So, I decided to start my own blog that has nothing to do with any of the medical companies. I wanted to share the link with anyone on here who is going through the same decision making process. I hope it is ok for me to post this!!

The blog is called Chronic Stimulation and the link is:

http://www.chronicstimulation.blogspot.com/

I'd love for you to visit if you think it may help you. I've posted pics. of my back post-trial and post-surgery and try to update on my status as much as I can. I also discuss issues pertinent to living with a stimulator.

Hope everyone is having a low pain day.

Best,
    Danimal

Welcome to CareCure. I hope you find some useful info. There are other threads here about stimulators if you do a search, just to gain some different perspectives.

Hi David,

Thanks for the welcome! And thanks for the suggestion. I'm def. still in the learning process myself so it helps to talk with other patients who are farther along than I. But I def. want to reach out to those patients who are just embarking on the whole process.

Do you have a stim??

Quote Originally Posted by Danimal View Post
    Hi David,

Thanks for the welcome! And thanks for the suggestion. I'm def. still in the learning process myself so it helps to talk with other patients who are farther along than I. But I def. want to reach out to those patients who are just embarking on the whole process.

Do you have a stim??
    Not I, I mostly just try to learn from those who post.

I got a stimulator in March 2009, so I am learning how to live with it. I think I get about 30-40% relief. What is yours? I will check out your blog.

Unhappy Spinal Cord Stimulator

Hi am a 47 year old female suffering from chronic back pain since 1999.
    I've had spinal fusion surgery in 09 at L4/L5 that only made things worse.
    I had the trial done in first week of April and my surgery date for the implant is on May 16, 2012. I started a blog because so many of others that I read helped me to not feel alone and make my decision.
    I'm new to blogging so bare with me. Just getting started and adding history of whats been done as my posts for now until surgery.

www.spinalcordstimulatorjourney.blogspot.com

T Trahan

Thumbs down Medtronic spinal stimulator

Good luck. I had a Medtronic spinal stimulator implant 7/13/12. So far as of today 10/3/12 they have not gotten the correct program for my needs.I have had lower back pain for 20 years and went thru epidurals, facet blocks, physical therapy, and chiropractic. Nothing works like good old percocet. The spinal stim is not a cure all. I don't think the reps in my area,Long Island, are educated enough from Medtronic to do the programs correctly.So far I have had 6 different reps and at least 10 programing sessions. I am fed up. I'll give it till Jan 2013. If it's not right, out it comes.

best to get it out early if it isn't working. After a while they are reluctant to take them out due to complications as they "scar in" in your spinal cord, apparently they can tear the dura. Don't know if it is because mine was sewn in after needing a few revisions due to movement of the leads, but...

ket
    Kindly,

The Ketamine Kitty

All the tears, all the pain, all the rage through the night (apolgies to the rewrite) RR

Next time I die make sure I'm gone,
    don't leave 'em nothing to work on JT

And I ain't nothin but a dream JM

Mine was in for a year. 1986-87.
    Alan

Proofread carefully to see if you any words out.

Maybe it is because I am in a pissy ass mood tonight but you using the word "patient" really hit a raw spot...