Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A blog about living with a spinal cord stimulator..

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by bob63eastport View Post
    Good luck. I had a Medtronic spinal stimulator implant 7/13/12. So far as of today 10/3/12 they have not gotten the correct program for my needs.I have had lower back pain for 20 years and went thru epidurals, facet blocks, physical therapy, and chiropractic. Nothing works like good old percocet. The spinal stim is not a cure all. I don't think the reps in my area,Long Island, are educated enough from Medtronic to do the programs correctly.So far I have had 6 different reps and at least 10 programing sessions. I am fed up. I'll give it till Jan 2013. If it's not right, out it comes.
    Well, today is 10/11/12. Had my stim turned off for 7 days and it made no difference. Just had another programing on my stim. I'm going for a record to see how many programings I can have without the reps getting pissed at me and ignoring me. Will keep posting till it's right or taken out.

Unhappy

Good luck. I had a Medtronic spinal stimulator implant 7/13/12. So far as of today 10/3/12 they have not gotten the correct program for my needs.I have had lower back pain for 20 years and went thru epidurals, facet blocks, physical therapy, and chiropractic. Nothing works like good old percocet. The spinal stim is not a cure all. I don't think the reps in my area,Long Island, are educated enough from Medtronic to do the programs correctly.So far I have had 6 different reps and at least 10 programing sessions. I am fed up. I'll give it till Jan 2013. If it's not right, out it comes.
    Had another programing on 10/10/12, no results positive. Seeing the MD that put it in next week to possibly take it out. I'm fed up.

Update 12/7/12 still have not had good results. They have been programing till the cows come home. They tell me there are over 300,000 possibilities for programs. I can't live that long. Will schedule removal in January. It's like banging my head against the wall.

Angry

Well it is now June 2013 and I had it removed. I also found out the referring doctor gets $80,000 for the referral. I guess thats why it was paid $136,000 by medicare. What a rip off.

Vancouver WA USA - - Male T4 ASIA B incomplete
    Well it is now June 2013 and I had it removed. I also found out the referring doctor gets $80,000 for the referral. I guess thats why it was paid $136,000 by medicare. What a rip off.
    Thanks for taking the time to make all your postings.
    I was referred and am/was on the fence.

Just to add to this thread, I had a failed SCS from medtronics too. I also went through more than a dozen programming sessions to no avail. After the programming wasn't working, the surgeon who did my trial did a scan of my back and said the leads in my intrathecal canal had migrated. He told me I could have a surgery to fix it and that that's what was causing the problems. I traveled three hours to Boston to see the surgeon who implanted the device and he told me, no, the leads had not migrated. It was hard to know who to believe. The second surgeon told me to shut off the device, that I put in all reasonable effort, and that it was a failed procedure.

I had it done in April 2010. Now I need it removed, and have an evaluation at the end of the month back in Boston to see about taking it out. I have been having severe lumbar back spasms for the past two months, and apparently they could be caused by the lead wires irritating a nerve. It is pretty much impossible to know because CT imaging doesn't give a clear picture of the nerves, and the SCS prevents an MRI. I want the device out, but am not sure I can fit the surgery and recovery into the summer--the surgeon canceled my previous appointment which would have allowed time. I have plans to potentially start a graduate program in the fall, so things are up in the air.

I hope this helps people who are considering an SCS. They are really great for some people, but they definitely do not work for everyone, and when they don't work, you have to spend a lot of time and additional pain dealing with the fallout.
    In our world constituted of differences of all kinds, it is not the disabled, but society at large that needs special education...to become a genuine society for all. -Frederic Major, Former UNESCO Director General