Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Microphone recommendation for Dragon Naturally Speaking

Microphone recommendation for Dragon Naturally Speaking

An friend of my mother's has lost the dexterity in his hands and has recently begun using Dragon Naturally Speaking. He has the basic headset/microphone that came with the system but would like to upgrade. I would appreciate recommendations for a high-quality microphone to pass along to him. Thanks!

I would recommend either the VXI Talkpro Xpress Express headset with the USB pod or the theBoom Earhook/ Andrea USB-SA Pod for Dragon NaturallySpeaking.
    Rock bottom is relative to how high you bounce when you hit.
    --General George Patton

Complex problems need to be solved collectively.
    ––Paul Nussbaum
    usc87.blogspot.com

I've been using this ANDREA NC-181 HEADSET for a couple of years now. I've had to replace it a couple of times because the cord would get pulled on really hard or something like that, but otherwise it's been a great headset and it only cost $24, and it just plugs into your sound card. The one that came with Dragon didn't work really well.
    C-5/6, 7-9-2000
    Scottsdale, AZ

Make the best out of today because yesterday is gone and tomorrow may never come. Nobody knows that better than those of us that have almost died from spinal cord injury.

I've found that this microphone works good for me. It is nice for me because it clamps onto my desk or table where my laptop sits. I can just roll up and I don't need anybody to put a headset on my head. It is super sensitive and I only need to be within 10 inches of the microphone.

http://microphones.com/microphone.cfm?URLID=1083

I have Dragon Naturally Speaking question I hope you won't mind that its off the topic of this thread. Last week the desk collapsed where my son Brian was working. When the desk collapsed a glass of water spilled on his IBM Laptop and fried the motherboard. It would cost more to replace the motherboard in the T42 laptop than the laptop was worth so Brian brought a new Toshiba Laptop at Best Buy. He selected the Toshiba because it had a slightly smaller screen and extended battery life. The problem we found today is that the Toshiba Laptop has a 64 bit Vista operating system and Dragon Naturally Speaking Version 9 won't run on it. I looked at the Nuance web site and it says that Version 10 will not run on a 64 bit operating system either. Nuance has not committed to when Dragon Naturally speaking will run on the 64 bit operating system. Brian is going to call Nuance tomorrow to find out more but I'm thinking that Brian might need to get a different laptop. Until this happened I didn't even know that Vista had 64 bit operating system. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Roger

Windows Vista 64-bit seems to be the default standard when it comes to new desktops and laptops. Take a look at GotApex to look for a laptop with Windows Vista 32-bit or Windows XP. I am aware that DNS 10 is not compatible with Vista 64-bit.

Good luck and keep us posted.
    --General George Patton

––Paul Nussbaum
    usc87.blogspot.com

I passed along everyone's recommendations. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by rybread View Post
    I've had to replace it a couple of times because the cord would get pulled on really hard or something like that, but otherwise it's been a great headset and it only cost $24, and it just plugs into your sound card. The one that came with Dragon didn't work really well.
    I used a $50 Logitech USB headset with good results. I think if any of these headsets get banged around they will not last for more than two years. The Talkpro Xpress allows for easy microphone positioning. I also like the way it swings up and down in case you need to get it completely away from your mouth. I still use the Talkpro Xpress on my Vista machine, and for my Intel iMac I am using the Plantronics Wireless VoIP Headset CS50-USB.
    --General George Patton

––Paul Nussbaum
    usc87.blogspot.com

There doesn't appear to be a solution to our problem that Dragon Naturally Speaking doesn't work on the Visa 64 bit operating system. Today Brian is going to take the Toshiba laptop back to Best Buy and get a different one. He regrets this because he likes the laptop, it's a little smaller, has better battery life than most laptops and the touch pad works well.

As an engineer I've used computers for a long time but I was naive about this problem. In the past I've moved software to other machines simply by recompiling the program. I thought making code portable was an old issue.

Roger

I called Nuance today, the company that markets Dragon Naturally Speaking. They're releasing Dragon Naturally Speaking Version 10.1 on March 31. This is a 64 bit version of Dragon Naturally Speaking. Brian has version 9 it costs $100 to upgrade to Version 10.1. The problem is solved.

Roger