Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wheelchair Maintenance

Wheelchair Maintenance

I've been in a chair now for almost 1 1/2 years. Is there any maintenance that needs to be done? I wasn't told of anything to clean, greese, etc.

If you are in a manual chair it doesn't hurt to spray a little WD40 in the telescoping tubes. It lubricates and slows down rust formation. Some on the "X" brace under your seat (if you have one) makes it fold easier too.

Vancouver WA USA - - Male T4 ASIA B incomplete
    If you're going to spend the time and effort lubricating your chair use
    a real lubricant and not WD-40. Especially if you're only doing it
    every 12 months or so.

I know we're not riding bicycles but this explains reasonably well.

http://bicycletutor.com/no-wd40-bike-chain/

And suggestions for a good lubricant..

http://bicycletutor.com/lubricants/

I also suggest you not use WD 40, use a silicone based spray lubricant especially on your quick release axles. I believe Top End/Invacare new chair manuals now say directly to avoid WD 40.

If your chair has removable/swing out armrests, pull them out occasionally, wipe them clean, and rub some wax on the ends that slip into the brackets. An old candle will do. That keeps them loose. Oil or other lubricants just catch dirt and dust and end up on your clothes.

What I do most often is pull wrapped around hair out of the front caster axles with a pliers. Next is cleaning of the rear axles, dirt gets in the housing when taking the wheels off and turning the chair to put it in the car. Add a little oil back onto the axle after cleaning. If you don't they could rust together preventing the wheels from being removed.
    Andrew

Hmmm, didn't know that about the WD40......although I must say it has worked fine for me, expecially for wiping down the frame of mud, salt, general goobers.

Do you guys change your own tires? Mine are getting worn and I need new ones. I have always ripped tubes trying to get them back on the wheels.

Quote Originally Posted by Human View Post
    Do you guys change your own tires? Mine are getting worn and I need new ones. I have always ripped tubes trying to get them back on the wheels.
    Always have extra tubes as you will rip some. Some tools I use in addition to small steel tire levers are found at www.sportaid.com the tire bead jack item #1008 and the pedros tire lever item# 1014. Less tube pinching occurs using these. I use presta tire valves and finish putting the tire on right at the valve. I tighten the small nut which goes around the base of the valve so that the tube is drawn in toward the tire rim and there is less likelihood I will pinch it while muscling the last bit of tire onto the rim.

I do have a manual chair. I do also have the anti-flat inserts in the tires. As I say, we have done NOTHING to the chair in the last year and a half. How often should I be changing tires? I'm sure things wear out and get dirty and just don't realize what all has happened to the chair as it happens so gradually.

Just need some recommendations from others......