Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Leg Brace Questions

Leg Brace Questions

Hi Folks - I am ready to move forward and get some leg braces. I know this has been discussed before (I've read previous threads), but curious as to how this may be different for myself.

Classification: T10 for 8 months, Asia B
    Height: 5'8"
    Weight: 175

There are various types of KAFO's and RGO's out there. I am very unclear on what to get, and woud like to make the best informed decision on what to purchase.

Please let me know what you have, and if you would recommend them. I'm also interested in any next generation bracing technology that folks may have heard about (but may not have) too.

Thnx in advance...

You should probably be going thru a rehab therapist for a recommendation as to what you need, I would think.

Thnx, already gone that route...and listened to what they had to say. Something to take into consideration, is that they are not in our shoes (or at least mine). I want real world experience and input.

Quote Originally Posted by fishin'guy View Post
    You should probably be going thru a rehab therapist for a recommendation as to what you need, I would think.

Vancouver WA USA - - Male T4 ASIA B incomplete
    Quote Originally Posted by sharky View Post
    Thnx, already gone that route...and listened to what they had to say. Something to take into consideration, is that they are not in our shoes (or at least mine). I want real world experience and input.
    I was pushed towards the KAFO route, and have to say I really wish
    I had gone the RGO route.
    If you're serious and motivated RGO's seem to be a better route.

30 minute RGO video by RSL Steeper

NWWill - Thanks for the link, very helpful!

Quote Originally Posted by NW-Will View Post
    I was pushed towards the KAFO route, and have to say I really wish
    I had gone the RGO route.
    If you're serious and motivated RGO's seem to be a better route.

30 minute RGO video by RSL Steeper

I'm using RGOs around the house now with some help from my husband. They are pretty easy to get used to compaired to the last pair I had. You do have to be very motivated and dedicated to accomplish walking with them.

Amarillogo - Thanks for your suggestion...looks like it's +2 for the RGO's!
    How long have you been using them? Also, do you (or have you) done any exercised based therapy to assist in developing muscles to make them easier?

Thnx!

Quote Originally Posted by amarillogal View Post
    I'm using RGOs around the house now with some help from my husband. They are pretty easy to get used to compaired to the last pair I had. You do have to be very motivated and dedicated to accomplish walking with them.

you probably wont have a lot of choice about what is prescribed. I would like to go to metal braces because my usual acitivities, trike, camping, hill climbing, ect, I need more air and more padding. the argument is the added weight since I have poor hip flexor function. I have had the molded kind for nine years. Id like a hybrid of the two, and am trying to influence the brace making dudes into giving it a try. I went to moss rehab gait center, and they did an evaluation wrote out the script. I wish you lots of luck and patience. The braces and forarm crutches are cumbersom, tireing, noisy, and you must take lots of care with your skin to avoid sores. dont give up if it doesnt work out right away. it may just be technique or adjustments to angle or cut of your braces. please keep us posted on how its going. im excited for you. I can even hike a little.

Hi Jody - Thanks for the heads up. I think it takes quite a bit of training and core strength to be able to walk in braces. I'll find out soon...

Have you tried an intensive exercise based therapy program to increase strength in your hip flexors & adductors to wake them up a little?

Quote Originally Posted by jody View Post
    you probably wont have a lot of choice about what is prescribed. I would like to go to metal braces because my usual acitivities, trike, camping, hill climbing, ect, I need more air and more padding. the argument is the added weight since I have poor hip flexor function. I have had the molded kind for nine years. Id like a hybrid of the two, and am trying to influence the brace making dudes into giving it a try. I went to moss rehab gait center, and they did an evaluation wrote out the script. I wish you lots of luck and patience. The braces and forarm crutches are cumbersom, tireing, noisy, and you must take lots of care with your skin to avoid sores. dont give up if it doesnt work out right away. it may just be technique or adjustments to angle or cut of your braces. please keep us posted on how its going. im excited for you. I can even hike a little.

Quote Originally Posted by sharky View Post
    Hi Jody - Thanks for the heads up. I think it takes quite a bit of training and core strength to be able to walk in braces. I'll find out soon...

Have you tried an intensive exercise based therapy program to increase strength in your hip flexors & adductors to wake them up a little?
    SHARKY,
    Good luck ! I hope you get your braces soon. I feel better when I wear mine. I just a new set of AFO's yesterday Wednesday April 1,2009. I had them made out of black leather with wide cuff at top w/black straps & metal buckles & also a long calf cuff w/black leather straps n metal buckles. They are so more comfortable then the 1st set of afo's that I got from the VA. then only had one narrow cuff at the top covered in leather with velcro strap & no calf cuff. The new AFO's also have spring loaded ankle joints. My legs n ankles feel good as I type this message to you & I took the new AFO's off several hours ago. I'm going to wear them every day. I also got a nice pair of ankle hi boots with them that are sort of dressy. Since the ankle joints are spring loaded I don't know if I can wear the boots that are attached to my KAFO's or not as the KAFO's don't have split stirrups & they also don't have spring loaded ankle joints. The new AFO's have split stirrups. The stirrups on the boots that are attached to my KAFO's are permanently attached to the boots. To get them off the KAFO's I have to unscrew each ankle joint screw.
    What kind of braces are you getting? I'd also like to have my 1st set of HKAFO's w/bail locks instead of drop locks at the knee joings w/tlso attachment to support my upper body when I'm I'm on my feet.
    Hope to hear back from you soon Sharky.

Take care my Care Cure Buddy !!

Regards,
    Bob
    Fellow CC Member, Brace Buddy & Wheelchair user