Thread: Handbike

Handbike

I take delivery on my first handbike. I bought a used one from bike.com, subject was a wheelchair body builder only used it inside for cardio. Any tips on what I should suspect from my first ride on the bike. Little nervous about turning ratio and getting stuck somewhere. Any help or`advise would be much appreciated.
    What ever doesn't kill you makes you stronger

Pics. Im looking for a used one as well
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

. Little nervous about turning ratio and getting stuck somewhere. Any help or`advise would be much appreciated.

Same here...thinking its time to accept the fact I cant ride a 2-wheeler, and jus get a ride to get outdoors....

RJP,
    There's a lot of different handcycles out there. Not sure what you're getting. I purchased one from bikeon.com and have been quite pleased. Be sure and use a flag or other safety device for visibility. The hardest part for me is getting in and out of the thing. It's the only cardio workout I get to keep the blood pumping. I can only do 4 or 5 miles at a time due to general fatigue, but it is still worthwhile. Hope you enjoy and get benefit from it. Here's a link to a cycle similar to mine:
    http://bike-on.com/itemdetails.cfm?id=423
    Yes, turning radius can be an issue. To make a U turn on a narrow 2 lane road requires some backing up (by grabbing the rear wheels) and making a few back and forth transitions to get pointed in the right direction.
    Prior to my MS I was an avid cyclist, and have always missed the wind in the face.

Have some fun !!!
    Last edited by bevo; 03-20-2009 at 12:36 PM. Reason: Incomplete

Handcycle Contest

This might be a longshot, but intrepid equipment is having a handcycle contest right now, and people can enter to win a free handcycle. If you are in the market it might be worth entering (you never know!). www.intrepidequipment.com

Handbike

I received the handbike it is a topend. went for first ride and it went will. Had my kids and neighbor kids with me so we only went for about a mile or so. need to adjust the seat a little close to crank hits me in chest at the turns. I have no trouble getting on or off but I could use an emergency brake for keeping bike in the same place othe rthen that it is great.
    What ever doesn't kill you makes you stronger