Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: anyone recommend very laid back beach style trip for a novice traveler?

anyone recommend very laid back beach style trip for a novice traveler?

can someone recommend an accessible hotel/hang out at the beach style vacation for a novice traveler? I need something very basic, but something or someplace where there are some accessible activities, a decent amount of night activity (I'm not the most social guy in the world & I'd also like to provide some entertainment for my aides... so possibly someplace with some organized social stuff), and that it's possible for me to get to the beach & water (I'm c-5 quadriplegic) do any of the hotels offer some sort of accessible beach chair?
    thanks
    Eastern time zone might be best

are you looking at staying in the US or outside the US (like Mexico)?

Quote Originally Posted by mnnice View Post
    Eastern time zone might be best
    Virgina Beach is real nice has a easy board walk, Maine you have several from York all the way to Bar Harbor. What time of the year are you looking at going?
    Quote Originally Posted by fuentejps View Post
    injecting is way better for your body. but imo opinion its the only safe way

Sorry - I guess I didn't read it completely. In the eastern time zone there are a couple of places that I know of. If you want warm weather then I would recommend the Florida Keys or somewhere in Florida. I know Orlando has some nice places. If you are looking for the cooler climate then you might want to try Wildwood Crest, NJ. I heard that it is a really nice place to go by a friend.

Quote Originally Posted by mnnice View Post
    U.S. is best for me know, but I wouldn't have a problem with someplace where I could border jump

Quote Originally Posted by Doorman View Post
    Virgina Beach is real nice has a easy board walk, Maine you have several from York all the way to Bar Harbor. What time of the year are you looking at going?
    I'm going in the summer, but I definitely would like someplace that stays warm year round... even if this means it's hotter than Hell when I'm there... again simplicity is the key with me... the less I have to think the better... but I would like to try to get in the ocean somehow

There is a place in Mexico called Freedom Shores that cater to people in chairs, no matter what your injury level is. We are planning on going for atleast 2 weeks this coming winter. Their website address is http://www.isla-aguada.com/default.aspx . Otherwise I would recommend the Florida Keys or Daytona Beach. They have some really nice places on the boardwalk their nad the night life is to die for.

If you want to consider the West Coast, look at San Diego. A very accessible city, lots to do other than just the beach too (the Zoo, SeaWorld, Padres baseball at Petco Park which is very accessible, etc.). Beach wheelchairs are free:
    http://www.coastal.ca.gov/access/bea....html#sandiego

For all of California:
    http://www.coastal.ca.gov/access/beach-wheelchairs.html

All city buses and the San Diego Trolley (light rail) are accessible or you can rent a van. Unfortunately accessible cabs are hard to come by, but Cloud 9/Supershuttle offers accessible airport shuttles.

Check out this resource:
    http://www.accessandiego.com/

The Gaslamp Quarter downtown has plenty of clubs and restaurants and most are very accessible.

(KLD)

Destin Fl.

Destin FL. is awesome the beaches have snow white sand and there is so much other to do and EAT !!!!! LOL I hope you find a great spot and enjoy !!
    http://www.baytownewharf.com/
    Last edited by ant111; 03-22-2009 at 01:36 PM.

thanks sci nurse, I think for this one I want to stay east, do any of the east coast places offer activities for disabled people... example some kind of Beach wheelchair for rent (power chair & shower chair are no good on a Beach)... my aides seem fixated on getting me in the ocean & on my enjoyment...