Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: who's had a hip replacement?

Quote Originally Posted by cali View Post
    scott, i'd like to know about your experience with the rehab process
    not much, really. since i'm c5/6 complete, they just transferred me in & out of my chair over the next few days so i could sit up a bit & put the prosthesis thru it's range of motion. if u have movement u'd prbly do more rehab.

the doc gave me the standard hip precautions for a replacement, but told me to stick w/ them forever b/c of lack of muscle tone. usually they are only 3 months, i think. if i break precautions it would push on that ring anytime i go too far, rather than dislocate. but he doesn't want too much wear on the ring over time or i'd have to replace it sooner than otherwise. replacements have a life of so many yrs [i don't remember, shit! i think 7-15 depending on what type]. mine could go 20 or more he said, if i keep off the ring. of course, i think a cure will happen sooner, but longer life will delay re-replacement which is inevitable for most, if not all, replacements.

precautions: don't bend hip beyond 90' [can't take knee to chest], don't cross centerline of body [this is the most important], and no internal rotation.

these precautions will be tricky on your transfers/adl's, but like i said, i know a t12 complete who had it & is doing fine.
    "If you don't read the newspaper you are uninformed, if you do read the newspaper you are misinformed."
    ...Mark Twain

I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle.
    ...Winston Churchill

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
    ...George Bernard Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by dglosek View Post
    We really appreciate your sharing your experience with hip replacement, especially the xray and your doc's name & phone number. I sent the photo and your doc's info to Cali's doc and I'm anxious to see what he thinks when we see him in 2 weeks.

Thank you!
    no problem
    "If you don't read the newspaper you are uninformed, if you do read the newspaper you are misinformed."
    ...Mark Twain

I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle.
    ...Winston Churchill

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
    ...George Bernard Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by ScottS View Post
    not much, really. since i'm c5/6 complete, they just transferred me in & out of my chair over the next few days so i could sit up a bit & put the prosthesis thru it's range of motion. if u have movement u'd prbly do more rehab.

the doc gave me the standard hip precautions for a replacement, but told me to stick w/ them forever b/c of lack of muscle tone. usually they are only 3 months, i think. if i break precautions it would push on that ring anytime i go too far, rather than dislocate. but he doesn't want too much wear on the ring over time or i'd have to replace it sooner than otherwise. replacements have a life of so many yrs [i don't remember, shit! i think 7-15 depending on what type]. mine could go 20 or more he said, if i keep off the ring. of course, i think a cure will happen sooner, but longer life will delay re-replacement which is inevitable for most, if not all, replacements.

precautions: don't bend hip beyond 90' [can't take knee to chest], don't cross centerline of body [this is the most important], and no internal rotation.

these precautions will be tricky on your transfers/adl's, but like i said, i know a t12 complete who had it & is doing fine.
    o man, cathing is going to be tricky! in bed, i cath frog-legged, which is way past 90 degrees. when you say to not cross the centerline of the body, do you mean things like crossing your legs? i used to do it all the time because i thought it was helping my spasms...i was wrong. hopefully when i get this done i won't have internal rotational spasms. i didn't have those types of spasms until a marked time after i dislocated it. (i'm guessing it happened 1-1.5 yrs ago).

i also don't have muscle tone, so i'll have to be careful as well. the doc's biggest concern for dislocation is spasms and my muscles and ligaments used to my hip being dislocated.

i gotta do what i gotta do. i'm so used to being flexible...folding in half flexible, so i've been trying to figure out different ways to do things. that way i'm not going to forget myself and do something stupid.

how do you pick things up off the floor? i'm so used to just leaning forward and picking it up. now that i do without thinking and i really have to work hard on that. but that's coming from a girl who almost falls off the couch or out of the car because she forgets she's paralyzed.

i appreciate all of your input, it's very helpful!
    Never take life seriously, nobody gets out alive anyway

Frank's blog:
    http://www.franktalk-scurry.blogspot.com
    My regular blog:
    http://www.ithinkithinktoomuchblog.blogspot.com

o man, cathing is going to be tricky! in bed, i cath frog-legged, which is way past 90 degrees. when you say to not cross the centerline of the body, do you mean things like crossing your legs? i used to do it all the time because i thought it was helping my spasms...i was wrong. hopefully when i get this done i won't have internal rotational spasms. i didn't have those types of spasms until a marked time after i dislocated it. (i'm guessing it happened 1-1.5 yrs ago).

i also don't have muscle tone, so i'll have to be careful as well. the doc's biggest concern for dislocation is spasms and my muscles and ligaments used to my hip being dislocated.

i gotta do what i gotta do. i'm so used to being flexible...folding in half flexible, so i've been trying to figure out different ways to do things. that way i'm not going to forget myself and do something stupid.

how do you pick things up off the floor? i'm so used to just leaning forward and picking it up. now that i do without thinking and i really have to work hard on that. but that's coming from a girl who almost falls off the couch or out of the car because she forgets she's paralyzed.

i appreciate all of your input, it's very helpful!
    i 'frog' my legs all the time, but your version/definition may be different. when laying on my back, my heels/soles are together and my knees are pointed toward the walls, side to side. centerline is exactly what u said, crossing legs would be veery bad. long sitting would be out of the question, at least past 90' for the hip joint.

i have tons of spasms, rarely bumping [breaking ] precautions. i used a knee-spreader thing for awhile while sitting up, & use it during hoyer xfers to keep my hip in a good position.

i don't pick things off the floor, so i'm just careful to not drop. i'm sure u could figure out a way to lean to the side to pick something up, tho. i just don't have the function or balance to do it... all my abd pain keeps me too tight to lean over w/o terrible spasms. but that t12 friend is able to w/ her replacement.

gotta do what u gotta do is exactly right.
    ...Mark Twain

...Winston Churchill

...George Bernard Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by ScottS View Post
    i 'frog' my legs all the time, but your version/definition may be different. when laying on my back, my heels/soles are together and my knees are pointed toward the walls, side to side. centerline is exactly what u said, crossing legs would be veery bad. long sitting would be out of the question, at least past 90' for the hip joint.

i have tons of spasms, rarely bumping [breaking ] precautions. i used a knee-spreader thing for awhile while sitting up, & use it during hoyer xfers to keep my hip in a good position.

i don't pick things off the floor, so i'm just careful to not drop. i'm sure u could figure out a way to lean to the side to pick something up, tho. i just don't have the function or balance to do it... all my abd pain keeps me too tight to lean over w/o terrible spasms. but that t12 friend is able to w/ her replacement.

gotta do what u gotta do is exactly right.

i'm glad you are able to frog your legs out. i hope i'll be able to do that too, but cathing in the chair will still be very tricky plus getting my pants back up. i have to bend over to pull my pants up. i really wish i could just bend over and not worry, but it looks like that isn't a possibility.

i think if i grab my push cane i'll be able to lean off the side and pick up stuff. i'm clumsy and drop a lot of stuff.

again, thanks for your input, scott! just let me know if there's anything else i might need to know. i'm sure i'll eventually have more questions.

Frank's blog:
    My regular blog:

i think if i grab my push cane i'll be able to lean off the side and pick up stuff. i'm clumsy and drop a lot of stuff.
    Grab the wheel or handrim of the opposite side you're leaning (like if you're leaning to the right grab the left wheel with your left hand). Pick up what you need and then use that opposite wheel/handrim to help pull yourself back up.
    Aerodynamically, the bumble bee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumble bee doesn't know that, so it goes on flying anyways--Mary Kay Ash

Quote Originally Posted by november View Post
    Grab the wheel or handrim of the opposite side you're leaning (like if you're leaning to the right grab the left wheel with your left hand). Pick up what you need and then use that opposite wheel/handrim to help pull yourself back up.
    i know i can get a good angle and reach down to the floor with the push canes. i have pretty good balance. plus, i have to tack up my rims. but i'll definitely give it a try and see how it works.

Frank's blog:
    My regular blog:

I have decided to get the hip replacement over the hip fusion. I will be getting it done at UCSF arthritis center.

Quote Originally Posted by arod636 View Post
    I have decided to get the hip replacement over the hip fusion. I will be getting it done at UCSF arthritis center.
    i'm glad to hear that, arod. once i found out about the back and hip issues associated with the fusion, i was wondering if you knew about it and if you were ok with the side effects.

Frank's blog:
    My regular blog:

scott, i'm wondering how you put your pants on and making sure you don't break the 90 degree angle. i've experimented leaning off to the side, having my hip bent at 90 and then bending my knee completely so my foot touches the back of my leg. that way i can get my pants on and off.

not that you can directly relate, but i am still really concrened about cathing in the chair without breaking the angle limits especially with getting my pants back up...i haven't figured that out yet. pretty much everything else so far has been solved though.

thanks!

Frank's blog:
    My regular blog: