Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cooling Vests

Question Cooling Vests

As the weather gets warmer, I'm thinking about ways to make the summer a bit more tolerable for me. I have MS-like symptoms and I have a very hard time functioning in the heat. So, I'm thinking of buying a cooling vest to use this summer.

Does anyone here have one? If so, what kind would you recommend? What are the best websites from which to buy?

Thanks.
    "The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off." -Gloria Steinem

There are a variety of types. There are gel pack, phase change, and evaporative types. Here is an overview:

http://www.steelevest.com/?page=Comparison%5FL%2Ehtm

Some, have pockets for blue ice type bags, but these can be pretty heavy. You also need to consider how high a temperature you must deal with, if you will be exercising with it on or not, and how long you need it to last before it is refrozen or recharged.

Don't look at just medical cooling vests, but also those for industrial use (which are often cheaper).

Also consider a misting system such as the Misty Mate which can be just as good for cooling:

http://www.mistymate.com/

(KLD)

Thanks, KLD.

Great question. I was wondering how I was going to handle this summer (my first full summer w/TM). The end of last summer was horrible.
    Thanks for the info.

DAnine, there are a lot of htreads on this in the apast. We seem to jump from "I'm too cold" to "I'm too hot" without ever passing through "just right!"

A search for cooling vests brought this up.

http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/search....archid=4343084

You can tell from teh titles which ones to read. Betheny posted a lot of info last year, look for the thread by her.
    T7-8 since Feb 2005

If you have MS, you may be eligible to get some free cooling equipment (not just vests) here:

http://www.msassociation.org/programs/cooling/

(KLD)

Thanks Jean and KLD.

Sinbin, I'm glad this thread was a bit helpful!

Well, it hit 82F today, and this is the worst day I have had in a while. Not sure if it is the lower dose of Lyrica or the temp, but today sucked. I wish I had a vest right now. I think I will look into this sooner than later. For now, it's a glass full of ice.

do you know of any misters/sprayers that are not powered by pumping> Im a C7 quad (TM) and have trouble with that sorta stuff... I live in Tucson AZ where it gets into the hundreds and I am NOT looking forward to this summer...
    Last edited by thorgirl; 04-28-2009 at 01:06 AM. Reason: color

Misty Mate makes a number that only need to be pumped initially and then can run for some time without having to be repumped to build up pressure. They also have some products that are battery powered.

(KLD)