Thread: oral contraceptives

oral contraceptives

ok. I haven't been on birth control(pill) post injury. because of the risks, we just started using other forms of birth control.
    but, we're planning a few trips this summer. and being able to control my period and predict it(it's not by the calendar by any means) better would be UNBELIEVABLY helpful.
    I talked with my family practitioner(PCP...whatever you want to call him) and he feels comfortable with me being on YAZ for a few months.

1)is it ok for me to manipulate the active/nonactive pills in order to "schedule my period" for the best time? like maybe just skip the inactive row and continue with the active, thus skipping my period for that month? (my doc is not comfortable with putting me on one of the pills that allows for a once a year period. he says it has a higher risk of blood clots?)

2)if I get used to the convenience of the pill, are any of y'all happy with a particular one and haven't had any problems?

3)what should I be looking for as far as blood clots go?(I forgot to ask him!)
    red, warm, swollen, right?

thanks for any input.
    "The best way to predict the future is to invent it."
    - Alan Kay

hey amanda

I have been on the pill for 2 years without any problems, and have skipped a few periods without any trouble. You might get a bit of 'spotting' though, apparently some women do.

have a great time travelling
    "The impossible is just that which hasn't been done yet.Impossible is nothing"

thanks! I forgot to ask my doc about skipping around a month's period. but, I figure it can't be that bad?
    "The best way to predict the future is to invent it."
    - Alan Kay

This isn't exactly what you are asking about so sorry about that I used depo-provera injections for five years and had no problems. My periods stopped completely which was nothing short of bliss let me tell you haha. The only reason I stopped using this method is because I want to be a bit more natural you know? I had visions of growing a beard because of the hormones or something.