Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: VA "doesn't do" sleep studies?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

VA "doesn't do" sleep studies?

That's what I was told. Anybody ever have a sleep study at the VA?

Thanks much.

Quote Originally Posted by quadvet View Post

Thanks much.
    Hey Matt,
    That is not true ! I've had sleep studies at the following VA's :
    Albany, New York Wilkes Barre, Pennsylvania & James A. Haley VA Hospital in Tampa Florida.
    I'm sure there must be many other VA's in the US that do sleep studies.
    If the VA you go to doesn't do them it seems to me that you would be sent to one on consult that does sleep studies. If not possible then you sent should be sent to a VA contract sleep lab that does them for the VA.
    See your service officer or patient advocate if you have to to get a sleep study done at the VA's expense. Good luck !

Maybe it's just my VA. Got it both from my doctors and NSO.

Thanks RAFS.

Maybe it's just my VA. Got it both from my doctors and NSO.

Thanks RAFS.
    Matt,
    Your very welcome. I was glad to provide the info to you.
    Yes, may be it's just your VA. Then they should send you to a contract sleep lab to get your sleep study done so you can get your machine adjusted right. Press for getting sent to a contract sleep lab.
    Good luck with every thing. PM or e-mail some time & let me know how your making or made out in your persuit getting sent to a VA contract sleep lab or to a VA that does sleep studies.

Regards,
    RAFS

Will do bud, thanks.

Sleep

My VA, Charles George, Asheville, N.C. does not do sleep studies in house. A local hospital does them on contract with the VA.
    You C.A.N.
    Conquer Adversity Now

Thanks much.
    Matt,
    So sorry your having such a hard time trying to get thru to some one about your sleep study. If you don't get any satisfaction locally maybe the service here on Care Cure Veterans Forum can go to bat for you or how about asking to be flown down here to the James A. Haley VA SCI Center at VA expense? There is a sleep lab on the first floor of the Pulmonary Dept in the hospital building then maybe you could get an SCI Nurse to spend the night with you in the sleep lab room should you need anything during the night. Let me know if you need me to go to bat for you at the Tampa VA getting things lined up so you can come down here & get a proper sleep study done. Hope to hear back from you soon.

Take Care !

Regards,
    Bob
    Fellow CC Member, Veteran & wheelchair user

Bob-
    Your generous offer greatly appreciated. Since my original post in this thread, I went outside the VA system and had a sleep study done. So, I'm taken care of for now.
    Last edited by quadvet; 04-03-2009 at 07:28 AM. Reason: Remove unnecessary statement

Bob-
    Your generous offer greatly appreciated. Since my original post in this thread, I went outside the VA system and had a sleep study done. So, I'm taken care of for now.
    Thanks for the info. That's a bummer you had to go outside the VA to get what you needed. Glad your set for now. Hope your sleeping better.
    What did the private sleep doctor pick up on? Do also have central sleep apnea as well as obstructive sleep apnea? Are you under the VA's home oxygen program? I am. A respiratory therapist comes to my house every month & checks the ventilator settings, checks the internal & external batteries to make sure they have the right power in them if the house power should fail at least I have battery back up & a huge tank of oxygen to bleed 2litres per min thru the ventitlator tubing. It's so nice not having any private home oxygen service bills to pay.

When are you going to call me? I'm still waiting. It's your turn to call as I called you when you were in the hospital in Seattle several months ago.

Take care Matt !

BOB

My sleep study results show an approx. 60:40 ratio of Central versus Obstructive apneas, with an Apnea-Hypopnea Index (AHI) of 13.7, no oxygen. I have an appointment with my sleep doctor tomorrow to address it.

Do you have central sleep apnea? What CPAP machine do you use, and what pressures? Bummer you have to use oxygen, sounds like you sleep good though.

Sorry for not calling yet, all kinds of excuses. Soon, I promise, looking forward to it.