Thread: Botox for bladder

Botox for bladder

I was thinking about getting the botox for my bladder. I'm always leaking and rarely leave my house because of this. I was wondering if there is any long term damage done do to the botox? I know if you leave a cathe in to long that it can weaken the bladder. Does Botox have any effects as this???
    It is not how we fall that defines us..
    It is how we rise.

Quote Originally Posted by Shana View Post
    I was thinking about getting the botox for my bladder. I'm always leaking and rarely leave my house because of this. I was wondering if there is any long term damage done do to the botox? I know if you leave a cathe in to long that it can weaken the bladder. Does Botox have any effects as this???
    Shana,
    How long is "long term"? Botox is a fairly recent arrival as a treatment for overactive bladder and clinical data is still being collected, so it's probably too early to talk about long-term damage. That said, the use of Botox is likely to increase the holding capacity of the bladder (you must cath to empty it) whereas using an indwelling catheter will cause the bladder to shrink since urine is always draining.

Shana,

Stephen is right, I have not seen any long term studies on the effects of botox and the biggest drawback is that it needs repeating every 3-6 months.
    Please review this post which gets various opinions on the benefits and drawbacks of botox.
    http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthread.php?t=62409

AAD