Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: concert venues and accessible seating questions and experiences

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by Chaz19 View Post
    Last month, I went to see some blues legends at a club in Boston and was kind of confused and slightly aggravated by how the venue handled accessible seating. This was a recently constructed building and I was only allowed to purchase two tickets, one for myself and one for a companion. However, it was a family celebration and I tried to pick up a few extra tickets for guests and whatnot. Once I was at the show I was completely segregated from my friends and family and was placed in this "handicapped" designated area that was divided from the general audience by ropes.
    Many people in this designated area did not appear to have many handicaps, I was the only one in a wheelchair out of probably 20 people. So I was wondering if others have had similar experiences and if there are certain ADA regulations that would require certain venues to allow citizens to purchase more than just two tickets. In many ways I felt like a second-class citizen, because I was unable to sit or hang out with family and friends. Any able-bodied could purchase their 4-8 tickets and hang out wherever their designated section is.

Are there any ways or any tricks people have found to score tickets for both themselves and others? Looking for some ideas to level the playing field so that I can hopefully have a good time this summer at an outdoor venue.
    Sci life sucks....

Quote Originally Posted by CowboyCrip View Post
    Sci life sucks....
    Sometimes.

C.

i go to concerts/theatre all the time, for past 23 yrs of w/c life.

key arena (seattle) used to only give tix in back, thus i took to going to portland. then, lo and behold, i started getting presale offers for front row at key arena, maybe 4 or 5 yrs ago. and i saw many huge stars there (elton john, paul mccartney, simon & garfunkel, bette midler, alan jackson, rod stewart (who, while trying to toss me a soccer ball, hit me in the head lol, so he handed me one)).

anyway, key arena has changed their policy. last few times, no front row or presale offered. tho the seats i got were not bad, i noticed there were only a couple of w/c seats on floor, front. i heard others around me complain. key arena is offering no explanation.

as to the 1 companion seat, don't think that's debatable. SOP. just ask for tix nearby. i get them a row or 2 away. very few venues will offer more (really, think about it: current venues will have to turn away wheelers if abs sit there). if you can, work with venue box office, not ticketmaster.

we've come a long way. i went to many concerts where i couldn't see a thing due to ppl standing in front of me. rarely happens now.

thank you everyone for your advice. I ended up contacting the venue and live nation and was able to secure myself four tickets for upcoming Phish show. What I did was look up the number of wheelchair seats that are required by law here:
    http://www.access-board.gov/adaag/html/adaag.htm#4.1

then I looked up the venues capacity and did the math regarding the number of seats that should be set aside for people with disabilities. Anyways, I'm stoked for the summer show and appreciate everyone's experience and knowledge. If you run into some trouble, I have a copy of a letter that I'll probably use in the future for procuring seats And don't mind sharing. If you run into trouble -- drop me a line.

Chaz, here is the theatre scene in Boston as I know it.

Wang Center -back of theatre in a seperate box area but with room for family members
    (they use upholstered removable chairs depending on how many W/C seats are sold.

Schubert----on the side near the front of the theatre. You can buy a seat for a companion or two, but after that they would be in aisles right near you.

Colonial----both sides near the front. You can buy as many as you want in that section if not already sold to someone else.

Sanders (Cambridge) best seating in the house, right up front.

Wilbur-- wherever they have room, but there is no such thing as a bad seat there cause the theatre is so small.

A.R.T. (Cambridge) --great seating with unobstructed view. You know, it's Cambridge, very PC.

The other piece of advice I have for you Chaz is never, ever go through Ticketron or other ticket agency. They know NOTHING about WC seating. Call the theatre directly and talk to the box office.

It's a crime how we can be treated like this. Recently my old high school hockey team played played for the state championship at the Prudential Center where the Devils play. They have hundreds of accessible seats, but on the lower level they are only on the corners.

It was open seating at the game- except for wheelchairs. Everyone was sitting in the middle sections, and many people were standing behind the back row. I sat in the middle of some people standing in the back- a lady came over and said I had to sit in the "designated area". I said no. She said it's a fire hazard or whatever. I said as soon as you get everyone next to me to move, then maybe I'll move. She went to go get somebody else. I simply said I'm not moving.

I got away with it because it was just a high school game. It wouldn't have flown at a bigger event. But I was fully prepared to be dragged out or taken out by police. Partly because it cost like $5 to get in and partly because there were hundreds of people there who knew me and would probably come close to rioting if police dragged me out.

It really sucks ass sometimes- often there isn't much that can be done about it. The best thing is to somehow get to know someone that works in the ticket office, obviously this cant be done though at every venue you go to.

A $20 for the usher never hurts though to get people to sit with you.
    -------7-23-04----------
    C5/6- Workin' on Recovery
    www.darrentempleton.com
    www.pushtowalknj.org

Quote Originally Posted by Chaz19 View Post
    thank you everyone for your advice. I ended up contacting the venue and live nation and was able to secure myself four tickets for upcoming Phish show. What I did was look up the number of wheelchair seats that are required by law here:
    http://www.access-board.gov/adaag/html/adaag.htm#4.1

then I looked up the venues capacity and did the math regarding the number of seats that should be set aside for people with disabilities. Anyways, I'm stoked for the summer show and appreciate everyone's experience and knowledge. If you run into some trouble, I have a copy of a letter that I'll probably use in the future for procuring seats And don't mind sharing. If you run into trouble -- drop me a line.

yeah phish!! im gonna see them 2 possibly 3 times this summer! let me know how it goes
    Courage, it would seem, is nothing less than the power to overcome danger, misfortune, fear, injustice, while continuing to affirm inwardly that life with all its sorrows is good; that everything is meaningful even if in a sense beyond our understanding; and that there is always tomorrow.
    -Dorothy Thompson

Hey man contact a disabled rights lawyer in your area and sue the venue and ticketing agency. Only way things will change for us. People on here might not agree but a closed mouth does not get fed. We are supposed to be treated EQUALLY!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Eileen View Post
    Chaz, here is the theatre scene in Boston as I know it.

Wang Center -back of theatre in a seperate box area but with room for family members
    (they use upholstered removable chairs depending on how many W/C seats are sold.

Schubert----on the side near the front of the theatre. You can buy a seat for a companion or two, but after that they would be in aisles right near you.

Colonial----both sides near the front. You can buy as many as you want in that section if not already sold to someone else.

Sanders (Cambridge) best seating in the house, right up front.

Wilbur-- wherever they have room, but there is no such thing as a bad seat there cause the theatre is so small.

A.R.T. (Cambridge) --great seating with unobstructed view. You know, it's Cambridge, very PC.
    Eileen- Great list. Thank you, I've been curious about the Wilbur. That is a great venue. To add to the list:

The Opera House: some decent seats in the upper back, although the platform is kind of dicey/ you kind of feel segregated.

Regattabar/Cambridge: a gem, general admission and plenty of seats/room to move around.

Bank Of Boston Pavilion/Harbor lights/I have no idea what they call it now: decent seating, although the staff is kind of strict. The W/C area has a nice view but, wheelers are on the edge of every row. When I was there a few people were aggravated by the staff and how we were told not to move once we reached our "designated" spot.