Thread: Wheelchair taxis in Philadelphia

Blog Entries

Wheelchair taxis in Philadelphia

I'd like to take NJTransit, transfer to SEPTA in Trenton, and then get transportation from the closest SEPTA stop to the Sheraton Society Hill on Dock Street. A web search yields only medical options, nothing taxi rate. Does anybody know of any wheelchair taxis in Philadelphia or how I find them? I know I got good answers when I needed to get around in New York, and I archived the information so well that I can't find it.

Does anyone local have any advice?
    Does anyone know whom you call to find out such things?

I haven't been in Philadelphia in a very long time, so take this for what it's worth.

If cost is a concern, you can probably take SEPTA pretty close to the door. Not sure where you hit town from Trenton? 30th st station? Reading Terminal? Anyway, you can take the Frankford EL (evated train) to 2nd and Market and roll to Walnut (two blocks). Or take the 2nd Street bus to Walnut. Several other ways are possible. Call SEPTA.

The Sheraton may have a shuttle bus that will pick you up. Call the Sheraton.

You can always call the City of Philadelphia and ask for visitor's assistance.

ETA - Upon further consideration, the EL stop at 2nd street is underground. I doubt that there is an elevator there to bring you to street level. But buses run down (East) both Market and Walnut Streets. Again, SEPTA or the Concierge at the Sheraton should be able to help, or at least steer you to someone who can.

It would help to know what type of chair you use and whether or not/how easily you can transfer? How far can you roll?
    Last edited by Foolish Old; 03-12-2009 at 07:39 PM.
    Foolish

"We have met the enemy and he is us."-POGO.

"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it."~Edgar Allan Poe

"Dream big, you might never wake up!"- Snoop Dogg

Quote Originally Posted by Random View Post
    I'd like to take NJTransit, transfer to SEPTA in Trenton, and then get transportation from the closest SEPTA stop to the Sheraton Society Hill on Dock Street. A web search yields only medical options, nothing taxi rate. Does anybody know of any wheelchair taxis in Philadelphia or how I find them? I know I got good answers when I needed to get around in New York, and I archived the information so well that I can't find it.

Does anyone local have any advice?
    Does anyone know whom you call to find out such things?
    Check with Magee Rehab in Philly, they can probably steer you in the right direction for methods of getting around. Philly is pretty decent place for getting around in a wheelchair.

Another option for going to Philly from Central NJ is to get on the River Line (starts in Trenton and runs to Camden, is very accessible and only about 60 cents for disabled) and get off at the Walter Rand Station in Camden where you can transfer into Philly. I think from Suburban St. Station it's not far.

Blog Entries
    Thanks! All great ideas. Foolish, I’ll probably take my little power chair, so distance isn’t such an issue, though I’ll be coming home pretty late at night so I don’t want to be on the street that long. I can do close transfers but it’d hard to get the chair in a car.
    Rusty, I forgot about the river line. Do you know if that leaves right from the Trenton Transit station?

Quote Originally Posted by Random View Post
    Thanks! All great ideas. Foolish, I’ll probably take my little power chair, so distance isn’t such an issue, though I’ll be coming home pretty late at night so I don’t want to be on the street that long. I can do close transfers but it’d hard to get the chair in a car.
    Rusty, I forgot about the river line. Do you know if that leaves right from the Trenton Transit station?

You have to catch the River Line right accross the street, it's not at the actual Trenton station. Depending where you're at in Central NJ, you could also pick it up in Bordentown (second or third stop) or any other station along the way.