Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: son c5/c6 15 months post :(

Quote Originally Posted by fuentejps View Post
    i dont think bringing him herre is good either, to many lazy asses
    Ah fuente .... you may have crossed a line with me here making such a sweeping generalization .... or did I misunderstand you?

Obieone
    ETA - there are many many people visiting this site and after 10 years+ here I think I can safely say that's a totally inaccurate statement.
    ~ Be the change you wish to see in the world ~ Mahatma Gandi

" calling all Angels ...... calling all Angels ....walk me through this one .. don't leave me alone .... calling all Angels .... calling all Angels .... we're tryin' and we're hopin' cause we're not sure how ....... this .... goes ..."
    Jane Siberry

Neverf let him give up hope, never accept sci. Im 21 yrs post never have accepted it, never will...................
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

Sorry for the side track there newdimension .... I only meant when your son is ready .... CC is very dear to me so I tend to be a biased .... you know whats best for your son of course !

Obieone
    ~ Be the change you wish to see in the world ~ Mahatma Gandi

" calling all Angels ...... calling all Angels ....walk me through this one .. don't leave me alone .... calling all Angels .... calling all Angels .... we're tryin' and we're hopin' cause we're not sure how ....... this .... goes ..."
    Jane Siberry

Perhaps the OP would be more comfortable in the private Caregivers forum.

Since Fuentejps is making such a global statement about our users, I wonder why he is here...since he is part of that group.

(KLD)

speaking about quads only, there are some very motivated ones and more that arent.[...] the op knows exactly what i mean.....
    Last edited by Steven Edwards; 03-12-2009 at 03:49 PM. Reason: removed personal attacks
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com

He's still very young and needs you eeven if he doesn't admit it. Getting him independent to taste the real world is a good idea but have open ears when he needs. I'm at 1.5 year post, living at a nursing home. It's frustrating but good to prime him for getting his own living situation--that's a real kick in the ass about real life. Fuente is right, push him hard, he'll thank you later.
    Last edited by ricanstruction; 03-12-2009 at 05:32 PM. Reason: 1 and a half years, not 15 years!

It seems that you are doing all the planning for your son. He has to want it. Let him research and make phone calls and decide his living situation. Becoming physically indep. make take more time. Going to school may motivate him more. Tell him your more than happy to help but he has to initiate and plann. thats what indep. is all about.

Fuente--I love you bro, but you can be so extreme! You are a great inspiration but sometimes you pop people's balloon on the rise. We all have different abilities and circumstances. It's good to push people but how they deal with their injury is their journey alone.

Your right, i just hate wasting ones potential.......but again, your right
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com

I don't know where in New England you are, but Boston Univiersity has had more than one quad go through school there with attendants, and they have a good disability office to help coordinate this sort of thing. It's an urban campus, but that makes it more exciting, with lots to do and see, and the campus is remarkably accessible, even if that sometimes means going in the back door. If his grades were good enough this might be ideal....back with his own age group and something to think about other than his disability.

thank you

thank you for all of your thoughts they go way beyond the words on the page...................knowing we are not alone....and that others are traveling the same road...so sad but it helps