Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Go dr. Young! Go!

Thumbs up Go dr. Young! Go!

STEM CELLS

Brackenridge could be test site for treatment of patients who are paralyzed
    Trial would need US government approval and approval at hospital level.

By Mary Ann Roser
    AMERICAN-STATESMAN STAFF
    Thursday, March 12, 2009

Raising its profile in the research world, the University Medical Center at Brackenridge is hosting a summit of scientists seeking to launch a U.S. stem cell trial for people who are paralyzed or have other spinal cord injuries.

The hospital could be among eight nationally, including Mount Sinai in New York and Thomas Jefferson University in Philadelphia, studying a possible treatment for people who have no other options. Various approvals must be granted for the trial to go forward.

"I feel very confident there's going to be a lot of good news for somebody who's got a spinal cord injury," said Dr. Tom Caven, medical director of University Medical Center.

Internationally known researcher Dr. Wise Young, a neuroscience professor and founding director of the W.M. Keck Center for Collaborative Neuroscience at Rutgers university in New Jersey, is leading the summit.

At a news conference today he is set to describe the trial he hopes will one day lead to a cure for people who have been through rehabilitation but can't use their arms, legs or hands.

"I hope it will get us back on our feet regardless of how long ago our injuries" happened, said C.J. Brown of McDade, who was 23 on Feb. 4, 2008, when he was working on a roof and fell 23 feet, breaking his neck.

more...

http://www.statesman.com/news/conten...stemcells.html

"I feel very confident there's going to be a lot of good news for somebody who's got a spinal cord injury," said Dr. Tom Caven, medical director of University Medical Center. I like this guys statement.
    oh well

Information removed at request of member.
    Last edited by Duran; 03-15-2009 at 05:48 AM.

Young hopes to line up U.S. patients in September and start the trial next year. He is asking hospitals to enroll 20 patients each and raise $100,000 for each to cover costs.
    will this be a boring phase 1 or a phase 1/2?

Quote Originally Posted by DA View Post
    will this be a boring phase 1 or a phase 1/2?

DA... I guess you'll never get passed the "miracle cure 1 second remedy/discovery" waiting line huh?

I wonder how u got to your age when everything is soooo negative gee... WE ARE MOVING FORWARD!!!!!!!!

BE HAPPY!!!!!!!!!!

P.S. That avatar REALLY fits u
    Thoughts become things, choose the good ones!

I had that same question DA. (omg, I actually was thinking the same as DA). Because of the trials in China, would you have to start over again here or could it move right into Phase II.

I am so glad that progress seems to be happening.

Quote Originally Posted by momo3 View Post
    I had that same question DA. (omg, I actually was thinking the same as DA). Because of the trials in China, would you have to start over again here or could it move right into Phase II.

I am so glad that progress seems to be happening.
    exactly what i was thinking. re-doing over the china phase I.

now i wonder if you will get attacked for the samething...

Still waiting and waiting there is hope!
    coolbreeze c6/7

Keep on moving don't stop!

Blog Entries
    Wise,
    How do we learn more about the study, if we might be a candidate?

That is all good news, but it's still going to be a waiting game. New injuries will be in good shape in the future. Chronic injuries still have some years to go.
    keiffer66