Thread: low blood pressure

low blood pressure

ok i need help. im a c6 incomplete. i have full function on my right side and probably would on my left if not for spasms. i can stand unassisted. problem is my bp drops so low i pass out. i'm on 3 different types of meds to hold it up and i wear TEDs and a body suit. the longest ive been able to stand is an hour but ive only been able to do it once. i need to do it consistently for 2 weeks in order to get into a walking program. any advice on how to hold it up??

Are you sure you are not dehydrated when you try standing? What meds are you taking, and in what amounts? What compression of stockings are you wearing? Did you work on using a tilt-table first before progressing to standing? For how long?

(KLD)

I hope you find a solution because I've dealt with this over six years and I sit. I take 10mg midodrine 3 times a day and also salt tablets (Thermotabs). I use an abdominal binder when I can and drink a lot of liquids too. Before, I was on both midodrine and florinef and still dizzy/light-headed. I may ask my SCI doctor about compression socks or florinef again. The only time I feel great is approximately 30min after my midodrine but it wears off fast. When my blood pressure is low and I'm dizzy I have no energy and everything hurts worse...I can barely push my wc then too. When it's up I feel almost able body and the pain subsides.

Good luck.
    Aerodynamically, the bumble bee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumble bee doesn't know that, so it goes on flying anyways--Mary Kay Ash

I have low blood pressure also. I even had this presci. IN EMT school they used me as a test to see if people were really listening to get the BP or just making stuff up. Mine was so low you had to really listen. I think it is what makes me feel tired all of the time and I hate the dizziness.
    If you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.

Sometimes it is easier to widen doors than it is to open minds.

when my blood pressure drops I can't see.

stand for a few seconds, then go back down until your head clears, then stand again, then back down, each time stand a little longer. but never to the point where you pass out. over time it'll get to the point where you can stand without getting dizzy.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    Are you sure you are not dehydrated when you try standing? What meds are you taking, and in what amounts? What compression of stockings are you wearing? Did you work on using a tilt-table first before progressing to standing? For how long?

(KLD)
    no im not dehydrated.

midodrine, florinef, and sudafed. the amounts im not sure of. i know im at the max though.

i just got prescribed new stockings. medium is all she said.

i used a tilt table the first month of my injury.

You may need more than medium compression for your stockings. We often apply Ace wraps over the stockings for standing.

I would recommend going back onto a tilt table regimen for now until you can develop more tolerance for a standing program, then work on standing, before you attempt brace walking.

(KLD)