Thread: Pain surgery Untether spinal cord Extreme pain common

Pain surgery Untether spinal cord Extreme pain common

Hi all

2 questions

1- Has anyone had the untethering of the spinal cord done before? I had 2 previous operations c-5 c-6 fusion then another surgery to fix a synix and replace harware last year thought I never had such pain. I know for 3 days post/op everytime they moved me no one supprted my head when rolling me or lifting me leaving my head to flop around and it hurt alot. Isnt it like basic EMT 101 support the head and neck of anyone with a spinal injury.

2- How many time shold I ask for pain relief? I never had a problem when in NY though I am a long way from home but can not figure out why I can't get any pain relief. Any sugestions? Its not like it I dont have a legit reason for asking after having my spinal cord untethered. Or am I wrong. Even my dentist loads me up with novicane before drilling. What is the problem here is it some law in Florida or just the doctors? I know they dont want people addicted but I am here in the hospital right under there care. The human bodycan only take sso much. I am thinking og going out to the street to score some drugs and medicate myself(joking).

Any sugestions
    Thanks Mark
    Last edited by jws1217; 03-11-2009 at 03:54 PM. Reason: wrong title

Since there hasn't been any response so far, I'm moving this thread to the Care forum to see if it can get any nibbles there.

Mark, sounds like you've been through a lot. I have had a two tethered cord release surgeries and expereinced some pain with them. My pain was mostly related to some mild nerve pain and then severe stomach pain due to gas and constipation. I think my situation is a little different as well since my SCI is (was) the tethered cord. I'm guessing everybody's experience with pain after surgery is individual based on amount of feeling in the area, pain tolerance and such.

Following suggestions I've seen on other posts I strongly suggest you contact the hospital social worker or patient advocate and let them know what's going on. A nurse should be able to give you the contact info. or you can just call the main number of the hospital and ask them.

And speaking from my own experiences I know that focusing on how much I was hurting caused me to be tense and increased my pain. When I was able to focus on something elses such as some music, TV, deep breathing or anything other than the pain I could relax and the pain level was at least slightly better.

I hope your situation resolves quickly and that everything works out for you. I'm sorry you've been in so much pain. Sorry I can't do more for you.

Hi,

The advice from bmichelle is very good. Yes, you have a right to have your pain controlled, which is a basic patient right. But even before you contact as above, i would speak directly with your neurosurgeon about pain control.
    I had surgery several years ago and I had to also advocate for pain medication- its sad but true that there still exists health professionals who need further education in this.

AAD