Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Well, maybe I won't be building a house

Quote Originally Posted by rcechser View Post
    It only happens in commercial projects he again is talking out his ass and you are just following along like a puppy dog.
    Quote Originally Posted by rcechser View Post
    I never said buyers had to good through realtors, but I use realtors and JOE is using one come on keep on with the story instead of trying to shit all over me with bull shit.
    oh cry me a river. i'm surprised you're in business. all it's gonna take to knock you off your high horse is one client who won't tolerate being treated like a peasant.

Guys, c'mon.

I appreciate the insight. I'm not looking to be a bulldog but I am glad there will be someone who is a friend of a trusted friend that (has been in construction 20
    plus years) will go in every two weeks or so and check up.

I am going to keep my requests very basic. I need everything as level and barrier free as possible and I need doorways at least 30 inches.

I am meeting this Sunday to further discuss but early feedback is they would need to extend the house two feet for a roll in shower. This I find hard to believe as I could always make any vanity/sink and cabinet smaller or just remove the damn toilet.

If I can pull everyone back together for enough to ask:

What questions should I be asking BEFORE anything is signed?
    And the truth shall set you free.

Can someone explain to me where a realtor comes into the picture? If you own the lot and are building the house, why would there be a realtor? The realtors I know sell existing homes, some unused. But none of them sell construction projects. My parents didn't have a realtor. They'd owned that section for 30 years, I don't even see where a realtor would apply in the equation.

First off, find a “standard contract”. Believe you have some of that in the US. Then make appendixes to that contract. For example ADA brochures or drawings available etc. No biggie. The biggie is how you want it though, and that is the question, which has to be sorted out before signing any contract, of course. You have to find out what you want; a contract, or how you want you’re new place to be. I guess how you’re new place to be come first, -so work on that a lill more if you are not sure. Just a tip and good luck.

Extend your house by two feet? Sounds like someone wants to charge a whole heck of a lot extra!

I lost space in another room to make a bigger bathroom .. what is around the planned bathroom that you could lose? I sacrificed a small storage room .. they charged me to change the cookie-cutter design ... but they couldn't charge me extra materials or man-hours!!!

Don't forget that you'll have years to make things right (lol) ... that's part of the fun of owning a home.

ETA: Can we stop insulting each other? It started with Doorman ... can that alter ego.
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Quote Originally Posted by betheny View Post
    Can someone explain to me where a realtor comes into the picture? If you own the lot and are building the house, why would there be a realtor? The realtors I know sell existing homes, some unused. But none of them sell construction projects. My parents didn't have a realtor. They'd owned that section for 30 years, I don't even see where a realtor would apply in the equation.
    Realtors are peoples drinking coffee latte; they normally don’t have a clue on construction.

Quote Originally Posted by lynnifer View Post
    Don't forget that you'll have years to make things right (lol) ... that's part of the fun of owning a home.

ETA: Can we stop insulting each other? It started with Doorman ... can that alter ego.
    Frankly. If buying/constructing a house to live in, say aiming for some years. Then make it right 1. time; it will save money down the road. Like if some is after a wife…
    Last edited by Leif; 03-11-2009 at 11:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by betheny View Post
    That's different than a subdivision like Joe's looking at betheny. I didn't read all the posts but I think that's the case.

Your pops owned the land and paid for the construction, so he hired the general contractor, meaning the general is not working for a developer, but for your dad. So he has a lot more say than a subdivision home owner. But he still had to abide by the contract with the builder, likewise the builder with your dad. It usually works out just fine.

But there are many people who suddenly want the window 2 feet over, or two steps instead of three, or an extra door, etc. And this is usually when the house is about done. You quote them a price, some complain and say they don't have to pay anything extra. So the contract has to be tight.

In subdivision homes, when the guy or lady tells you she wants the window two feet over, or an extra window, or a patio on the side instead of the front, well, it just doesn't happen too much, even if they agree to pay. The aesthetics of the subdivision come into play, and if you change one plan, the neighbors will want the same and more different changes, etc. Most SDs have two or three different floor plans, and they stick to them. Covenants come into play, also.

Respect goes both ways, and most builders I know work with people who are like your dad, building a house on his own land and hiring the general - a single custom home on a private lot not part of a subdivision is a lot different than buying a planned SD home. Your dad could have the house look anyway he would have liked, if that was allowed in the contract and he'd agreed to pay for it all. Any builder would jump at the chance.

Good luck Joe, glad you have a buddy to check things out for you.
    Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
    Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Thanks!

Normally the ones selling, like selling labour etc, will try to get as much money as possible. It's not something new.

Quote Originally Posted by Leif View Post
    Normally the ones selling, like selling labour etc, will try to get as much money as possible. It's not something new.
    With our crap economy right now, it's a buyer's market. So the guy trying to get more money selling labor just won't have a job. It will go to a guy that accepts less pay. Also not a new thing, but it's been a while since things were this bad.