Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Well, maybe I won't be building a house

If the house is not built there is no reason he can't make a few changes but it will probably cost you extra. Eight years ago when the subdivision that I live in was being built I just asked the builder if I could have a roll in shower instead of a bathtub he said sure but it cost me a little extra for the tile work and I lost part of a walk in closet. I made a few changes in the kitchen cabinet but there was no extra charge for that since the cabinets had not been built yet. In fact the only thing I did pay extra for was the shower the builder made other suggestions/changes and since the house wasn't built yet it didn't cost extra. He graded to the front door so there wouldn't be a step, poured a small ramp in the garage, lowered light switches, raised electrical outlets and made all doorways 36". I didn't have any ADA info at the time and neither did the builder we just played it by ear and the house turned out pretty good considering we had no ADA info. The cabinet maker had built ADA cabinets so he took care of that part.

If you haven't bought the house yet think I would find a different development with a builder that is willing to work with you.
    A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject. ~Winston Churchill

You have to be firm, bug the shit out of them, they arent building like they were 2-3 yrs ago..are u doing a const to perm loan or large chunk down w/ 1 end loan.

You are doing exactly what i did. Believe i was up their ass, dont wait for your realtor to call anyone. We are both in ohio as well.

Couple oither things, anything you can get done after above and beyond besides the big stuff, roll in showr, counters lower, fuse box etc, do on your own. That builder will charge you like twice the price
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

Just strictly an end loan. What "smaller stuff?"

Quote Originally Posted by fuentejps View Post
    You have to be firm, bug the shit out of them, they arent building like they were 2-3 yrs ago..are u doing a const to perm loan or large chunk down w/ 1 end loan.

You are doing exactly what i did. Believe i was up their ass, dont wait for your realtor to call anyone. We are both in ohio as well.

Couple oither things, anything you can get done after above and beyond besides the big stuff, roll in showr, counters lower, fuse box etc, do on your own. That builder will charge you like twice the price
    And the truth shall set you free.

Agreed with John, be assertive and persistent. If you're not getting the appropriate response then move on, it's a buyer's market.

I did (hired/paid) all of my own mods. It's doubtful that, unless you get a very conscientious builder, that you'll get what you want / design. I guess that I wouldn't depend on them doing it right unless you were there to monitor and supervise their progress. Glad to hear about Aliya above but I think that situation is pretty rare.

Quote Originally Posted by NoDecafPlz View Post
    But if the roll-in shower was the only deviation?? Maybe the doorways an inch or two bigger?
    I know it doesn't seem like a big deal but you're talking structural changes that will probably have to be reviewed by an engineer and submitted. When a developer submits construction documents to the local building department they can't deviate from the plan. Before a builder even cuts a stick of wood or drive a nail there's a lot of hoops for the builder to jump through.

Quote Originally Posted by nodecafplz View Post
    just strictly an end loan. What "smaller stuff?"
    then u r doing exactly what i did.
    Ok
    1. In your purch agreement state extra inspections at every phase.
    2. Little things= lower fuse box, raised outlets, shut off gas/water w/in reach.
    3. Roll in shower. 2 ways tiled in showr or one large one piece unit[i think mine was like 2800-3k. I opted for 1 piece pre fabn unit.
    4.have your own ramp done in garage- much better and cheaper
    5. Any upgrades that deviate from the models will cost way to much. Example- our condos price included carpet and lanolium. Pergo would have costed a tone to have them do.
    6. All 36in doors, even closets

anything i can do just ask, i did the exacty same thing 2 yrs ago.

Above all, crawl up their ass and stay there. Your house your money. I stepped on so many toes it was rediculous, but my house was built how i wanted it.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com

Just be really careful, as this seems like an odd time for a builder to be going ahead on a home building project in general. The market is flooded with real estate, and a lot of builders are having hard times getting the loans they need to complete construction. I would hate to see you give him a deposit and then find out he is bankrupt.

Awesome thanks!

Yes, I already told them I am not interested in any upgrades, however,

I was wondering what a level concrete patio and ramp into the garage might cost. Convenience does have a price, what should I be expecting price wise for a concrete patio and ramp into/from garage?

then u r doing exactly what i did.
    Ok
    1. In your purch agreement state extra inspections at every phase.
    2. Little things= lower fuse box, raised outlets, shut off gas/water w/in reach.
    3. Roll in shower. 2 ways tiled in showr or one large one piece unit[i think mine was like 2800-3k. I opted for 1 piece pre fabn unit.
    4.have your own ramp done in garage- much better and cheaper
    5. Any upgrades that deviate from the models will cost way to much. Example- our condos price included carpet and lanolium. Pergo would have costed a tone to have them do.
    6. All 36in doors, even closets

anything i can do just ask, i did the exacty same thing 2 yrs ago.

Above all, crawl up their ass and stay there. Your house your money. I stepped on so many toes it was rediculous, but my house was built how i wanted it.
    And the truth shall set you free.

Awesome thanks!

I was wondering what a level concrete patio and ramp into the garage might cost. Convenience does have a price, what should I be expecting price wise for a concrete patio and ramp into/from garage?
    It depends on how many inches the rise is.
    injecting is way better for your body. but imo opinion its the only safe way

we just hired a contractor to do a stamped patio flush off the rear sliding glass door. we had 5 estimates all referalls. from 8-12 per sq ft stamped and colored, thats all excavation, rebar etc. our guy is doing it at 9. we are his 1st job of the year, later in the spring the more it costs because they get booked.

dont go cement ramp, hurts potential resale. u want something removable......we had option of basement we went slab, in ohio basements r basements, when its appraised we add roughly 1000 , dont care if its solid marble, in ohio its still a basement. [when im doing loans i hear ppl bitch constantly about how their house should appraise 10k higher due to full finished basement, doesnt happen]

in our condo, once the ramp is removed theres nothing really noticable that says accessible, we are more universal design.

when i built a friend of the family who is an architect whom specializes in ada compliance helped me.

Awesome thanks!

Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com