Thread: wedding registry

wedding registry

so I'm getting married in August and my fiancee and I are preparing to start registering. We've got all of the staples (linens, kitchen stuff etc) down and now we are brainstorming for ideas for "toys". One thin we REALLY enjoy doing together is traveling. Does anyone know of a web site or service that will let you register for things like airline miles and hotel points? I know there are places that you can register a trip that you've already booked (like your honeymoon) and register for things like upgrades or tours or excursion packages for that specific trip. But I would love it if I had a way to let people give us gifts that got us closer to free flights or hotel stays. Anyone aware of such a thing?

*** c4/c5 incomplete *** Injured in Summer 2003 ***

American Airlines allows people to buy their frequent flier AAdvantage Miles as gifts. All you'd need to do is set up Advantage Club memberships for you and your fiance, and provide your membership numbers -- along with a link to the AA web site -- and you're in business.

Congratulations, and happy travels.

--THC

Thanks for the info and the well wishes. Sounds like a good idea. Anyone else know of any additional places that will do something similar? I was hoping to find an all in one web site to register for the travel gifts. But AA is definitely a great start.

Might check out AAA.
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

If you're able to travel at the last minute, Travelocity sells gift certificates good towards their Last Minute get-away packages only. These seem rather restrictive (limiting not only when you can travel but where you can travel to) but do cover air, hotel and sometimes more. I believe I read one person can use up to eight gift certificates per package.

According to About.com, there are a few other options for gift certificates for travel (spa get aways, cruises) but none seem to be the all in one option you'd hoped to find. That's too bad.

--THC

My fiance and I are in a very similar situation. We're getting married in August, taking a cruise for our honeymoon, and we have all of the basic things that we needs like dishes, kitchen stuff, sheets, and whatnot. I've been trying to figure out how people might be able to contribute money towards our honeymoon, but I really haven't seen anything. Try looking at like theknot.com...they might have something there. We're probably just going to ask that people give us money rather than gifts. It's been funny trying to figure out the "etiquette" for doing that, but pretty much, we're not going to be registering anywhere, so when people ask us about gifts, we'll tell them verbally. If I find anything like a "contribute to our honeymoon" thing, I'll let you know! BTW congrats!

For a cruise, people can purchase a gift card to give you on-board credit for things not included in your cruise fare (drinks, spa treatments, shore excursions, etc.). Check with the cruise line about how they can do this and let your friends and family distribute the information for you.

Some resorts have a similar arrangement. A friend of mine recently got married and spent her honeymoon in Las Vegas. The hotel/resort there had a page where you could gift them with champagne, room service, spa services, etc. I gave them a his/her massage. It was easy because they had a webpage for their wedding information and a link directly from there to the resort gift page.

Asking directly for cash is tacky. Avoid it if you can.

(KLD)

Quote Originally Posted by greentea07 View Post
    My fiance and I are in a very similar situation. We're getting married in August, taking a cruise for our honeymoon, and we have all of the basic things that we needs like dishes, kitchen stuff, sheets, and whatnot. I've been trying to figure out how people might be able to contribute money towards our honeymoon, but I really haven't seen anything. Try looking at like theknot.com...they might have something there. We're probably just going to ask that people give us money rather than gifts. It's been funny trying to figure out the "etiquette" for doing that, but pretty much, we're not going to be registering anywhere, so when people ask us about gifts, we'll tell them verbally. If I find anything like a "contribute to our honeymoon" thing, I'll let you know! BTW congrats!

Try honeymoonwishes.com. That is what my fiance and I are doing. You can put the excusions out there, or airfare, or romantic dinners...guestimate on the price, and then people can "buy" it off your lists.
    "Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot nothing's going to get better. It's not." - Dr. Seuss

Quote Originally Posted by greentea07 View Post
    This page has a few links to sites that let you register for honeymoon items. Could be close to what you're looking for.

I have to agree with KLD and Miss Manners that asking for cash is tacky. Those honeymoon sites are kind of cool though. And we have both gotten and given gifts on cruises. The web sites make it easy or just call and talk to one of their sales reps.
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.