Thread: How to reduce from IV DILAUDID/Pain Control

How to reduce from IV DILAUDID/Pain Control

How long does it take your body get use to taking IV Dilaudid? I have been on IV Dilaudid 4 mg for almost 8 days till today at 1:00pm and then after moving to rehab they put me on 5 mg Percocet and I think they said Zantac. Will this change in meds be a problem other than I assume it will not control my pain. Also I hear from nurses that we have a right to have our pain treated though I cant seem to get Doctors to agree with this. Does anyone know of any documintation reguarding pain control?

Thanks
    Mark
    Last edited by jws1217; 03-15-2009 at 03:06 AM.

jws

sorry to hear about your pain. You have the right to get your pain TREATED. But then, you may not have the right to have it eiminated because they may not know how. Dilaudid is quite strong, and I doubt they will be happy to keep you on it for a long time. At least it isn't fentanyl, which scares docs. Pain is also subjective so others have a hard time responding in measure with what you feel.

If you are recovering from spinal cord injury, the typical approach is to taper down. If you have central pain the typical approach is to move to other types of pain meds. The squeaky door gets the grease, so if you are in intense pain, it may not be the time to be your most stoic and polite.

Mark, ask for the patient advocate to bring you a copy of the Patients' Rights and Responsibilities document -- it usually spells out very specifically that one of your rights is to have your pain managed (this does not mean it guarantees that you will be pain free, however). If the medical staff are not helping you adequately manage your pain, ask the patients' rights advocate to step in on your behalf.

Allow me to suggest that making demands for IV Dilaudid is probably going to be counterproductive as such demands for a specific, highly potent opioid like that are likely to be interpreted as drug seeking behavior and (rightly or wrongly) cause you to be labeled a junkie. If that happens, you will be given fewer potent medications.

Instead of asking specifically for the IV Dilaudid, tell them in as calm a manner as you can that the pain meds you are currently receiving are not helping you manage your pain, and that you feel you need something stronger to get the pain under control again. If they ask you what has worked in the past, it's okay to answer honestly that Dilaudid is very effective, especially given that you are on a base level of pain meds just to help you manage the pains in your everyday life. Just don't appear to eager for or adament about getting any one specific strong drug -- it sends up all kinds of warning flags with many docs/nurses and can end up with you getting way less effective meds than you really need.

--THC