Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why can't i poop???

Why can't i poop???

I spent all day friday in the hospital getting my bowel cleaned out from an impaction. The X-ray showed a solid impaction of the entire colon and small intestine. It was so bad I couldn't even drink water anymore.

The rubber hose treatment is not pleasant and is immensely humiliating. I was certain that somehow a mothball eating skunk had gotten up there and died. Such a smell should never be present in pre-mortem human body. (gaaack!) I got yelled at by the doc who said never let this happen again. I did everything I was supposed to do to relieve this sooner, but no result for three whole weeks until the roto rooter treatments.

Anyway, I think they only got the colon cleaned out and not the small intestine. I thought I felt a little movement in my system yesterday, and with all of the mag citrate and milk of magnesia and sennosides and docusate I take, (lets not forget the bisacodyl x2) the stuff should be coming out my ears, but I still cant poop! Now I think it was just gas and not material moving in my small intestine. I have eaten nothing but fruit and salad with cranberry bran muffins and tea since I got home.

My abdomen hurts (a sharp pain with pressure) just to the right of my belly button. I have a slight weakness in the musculature there from a pregnancy, not quite a hernia. Am I in trouble here? Should I just wait a few more days? Help please, I dont want to show my face at that hospital again. (not that they saw much of my face anyway)

You need to call your doctor! Are you giving your self suppositories or mini enemas to keep the lower part open? You need to drink lots of water with laxatives also.
    If the bowels don't move you can get an obstruction which can perforate the intestines- (put a hole in it) and gastric acid will leak out and it can be very dangerous, even life thretening so don't let that happen.

cWO

Oh skippy, I am so sorry this is still a problem for you!

DO NOT WAIT -- get back to the hospital today. Waiting is what caused this situation in the first place. You need to get medical assistance with getting TOTALLY cleaned out and advice on how to get your system functioning again.

Try not to be embarrassed (and I say his as someone who has been impacted and gone through a 14 hour cleanout process myself). This is a serious medical condition and you need treatment. Please get in there ASAP, and keep us posted.

--THC

Is there any chance that you have had abdominal surgery in the last year or so? If you have, you might have some abdominal adhesions which could be interfering with your intestines. Or have you ever had diverticulitis?

Try massaging your abdomen [push the poop along]. Lay down on your left side. Push the probiotics [ex yogurt loaded with live bacteria]. I think old fashioned remedies included either cod liver oil or castor oil.

The few times when I went 2 weeks before pooping resulted in bad episodes of autonomic dysreflexia.

The other ladies are right. Go seek out medical attention.

If you've never tried glycolax, it might not hurt to give it a try. It sure helped me out when I had similar problems.

"We are the ones we've been waiting for. We are the change that we seek."
    - Barack Obama

I was living in a hotel in Alabama o business and had the same pain you described, it can be incredibly intense. Did back to back bottles of cit of mag, nothing. Finally went to the ER on Easter Sunday (i was the only ones there) and the doc sad I was so clean he could “scope” me and the pain was from IBS (Irritable bowel syndrome).

I'm getting tired of all of this. I'm going back tomorrow. Trouble with that is it is over sixty miles from my house. I cant drink enough water to stay hydrated, and taking citroma in small sips just to keep it down. I'm getting noise, but nothing is moving it just seems to be gas. I've tried massaging, and everything else, but now just have terrific heartburn from lying down. I've tried enemas, but there is nothing in the colon, just the small intestine. It still sticks out and is hard like a seven month pregnancy.

Skippy, I think if it's only been 2 days since you were in the ER and you were flushed out, then I don't think you should panic yet. It's only been 2 days, right? See if you get some results tomorrow.

BUT, are you vomiting again? If so, it might indicate a blockage in the small intestines.

Nurses?

i cant see how they released you if your uppers were still blocked. i believe you have to be careful on what you take now, since as the sci nurse said , you dont want to much pressure on the obstruction to cause a tear. i think a lot of the laxatives have to be stopped when your puking.
    i dont get it, they should have sent you home with explictly written instructions on what to do at home, and if you were still impacted in the small intestine they should have made sure that was cleared.
    i know it is such a horrible experience, i hope it starts clearing soon
    cauda equina

I can only drink small amounts before I get totally nauseated. I know the small intestine did not clear and I was concerned that they werent concerned about that. I dont like throwing up, so I quit drinking everything. I think some thing has changed with my bowel. I have generally blunted feeling anyway, but the doc just started digging stuff out (sorry to be so graphic here) and I felt nothing. I should have felt something as I hear this is not usually done without some kind of anesthetic gel. I am trying to clear this up, but no longer feel that I can do this on my own. I feel like shit.