Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Guys who keep their straight caths in all night...

Quote Originally Posted by paramoto View Post
    I usually straight cath during the night, inserting a striaght cath throughout the night is an appealing idea but I just think it has some risks. Have you thought of trying a foley instead, just for the night?. It goes on in a couple of minutes and it is the tool designed for this.
    Thanks for your persective paramoto.

What might some of those risk be of using a foloy vs. straight catheter? The only difference in my mind is how it's held in. The foley on the inside of the bladder (via ballon), rather than a straight catheter on the outside (via tape on your johnson). As long as skin integrity is OK, I don't see what extra risk (over foley) there could be.

Why not use a condom catheter instead of a Foley? No inserting, you just slip it over your dick and drain yourself in the morning!

Look, it's your life, but why bother with a Foley, and why try to keep a straight cath in??
    vgrafen

My book, 'Scouring the globe for a cure: a disabled man's experiences with stem cell treatment' is available at Booklocker at the following address:

www.booklocker.com/books/2857.html

A percentage of every sale goes to CareCure.

Quote Originally Posted by vgrafen View Post
    Why not use a condom catheter instead of a Foley? No inserting, you just slip it over your dick and drain yourself in the morning!

Look, it's your life, but why bother with a Foley, and why try to keep a straight cath in??
    Uhh... because not everybody has a bladder sphincter that will relax and open.
    And AD sets in long before the bladder starts to leak from over pressure.
    And the urologist warns that an over-pressured bladder can back up into the kidneys causing infections or worse.
    Doh!

Quote Originally Posted by vgrafen View Post

Like JeffH said not everybody's sphincter will relax and function properly....like mine. I used to wear an external condom for drainage day and night. Over the years my bladder contractions became weaker and my sphincter was tighter than a bull's ass during fly season. The only way I can void now is to insert a catheter a couple of times during the day and I chose to insert a catheter in my bladder all night.
    Quadfather, I've been able to insert and tape the catheter without putting the head of my bed up but it's difficult. You'll find it so easy if you can get a bed that will help you sit up a bit.

Because my neurogenic bladder is "decompensated" like others here I can no longer drain at all, not a drop without cathing. My bladder can easily hold 1000ccs without going into reflex. I like to cath at about 800ccs but on ocassion I've woken up and cathed out over 1600ccs. That's way too much but it has happened. My sleep patterns are all screwed up... insomnia mainly so I can't always plan things out for the night. And who likes to get up and cath anyway!

I once had a case of those sterile intermittent catheter kits that WPDaggy writes about. Those things are great but they're expensive and not covered by insurance (Medicare). You can practically cath in the dark because everything is right there in the kit. I do the Bob Clark hydrogen peroxide urethral cleansing technique everytime I cath but cathing once a day (or in this case, night) without doing it would be cool too. It's probably a good idea to only use my technique once a day or every other time you cath. I probably overdo it with the H2O2.

If you can easily cath (I know it's difficult for some quads) then I'd suggest cathing in bed with those cath kits over keeping a straight catheter taped in overnight. Can't you buy Foley catheters without the whole kit for pretty cheap nowadays? I think I saw them for about $1.50. I think a straight catheter is about $.50 so there isn't a huge difference in price for the peace of mind you might get from "doing it right way".

I don't know what added risk there is for getting a UTI when using a Foley or a straight catheter held in place overnight but I imagine it is increased.

Bob.
    Last edited by bob clark; 03-17-2009 at 06:01 PM.
    "Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle." - Philo of Alexandria

Hey all. I've been leaving one in at night for years and years. What I do is roll on a Clear Advantage condom cath and then insert the straight cath through the condom cath. The beveled part of the straight cath gets stuck into the end of the condom cath. No tape at all needed. I sleep on my back so I don't move much.

I cath about 5-6 times a day. I used to wear a condom cath and leg bag but I wasn't voiding out 100% and the pressure was damaging my kidneys. Straight cathing for all these years saved me and I don't miss the chain and ball leg bag.

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by bob clark View Post

I don't know what added risk there is for getting a UTI when using a Foley or a straight catheter held in place overnight but I imagine it is increased.

Bob.
    I agree Bob, but I think overfilling the bladder has risks as well. Last night I drank nothing at all after 6PM, cathed 350ml at midnight, slept 5.5 hours and cathed 1100ml. That can't be good.

It is also weird to spend half my day wishing I could drink some more water. That seems to go against what's good for the kidneys

Whether the catheter is a foley or a straight cath put in for the night, they both put you at risk for increased uti's. The positive about this method is that the catheter is NOT in all the time, so to me, that generally decreases some of the long term risks, but I have never seen any evidence that says this is so.

It is a method that many people use - it allows you to sleep all night and there is a lot to be said for that. The people that come to mind that use it hae stayed rather healthy and do not seem to have any greater risk for uti's.

Hope that this helps.

CKF