Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Guys who keep their straight caths in all night...

Guys who keep their straight caths in all night...

This is a pretty appealing concept, can you elaborate on your experience?

How often does it accidently slip out, especially when turning? What's is your UTI history? What kind/size cath do you use? I read somewhere that you tape in on. How exactly are you taping it?

There are some folks on this site who do this regularly. Hoping they will weigh in on the topic.

AAD

I usually straight cath during the night, inserting a striaght cath throughout the night is an appealing idea but I just think it has some risks. Have you thought of trying a foley instead, just for the night?. It goes on in a couple of minutes and it is the tool designed for this. I occasionally use foleys (discharge them after every use, even if I use them for a few hours only) and the ones I use are not much more expensive than a regular straight cath.
    T6 complete (or so I think), SCI since September 21, 2003

quadfather, don't even try that! Way too crazy!

Why not go to a condom catheter you slip over your dick and attach to a night bag and you're done with it? No need to insert anything, and if you don't twist the condom, no balloon-blowups and all is well.
    vgrafen

My book, 'Scouring the globe for a cure: a disabled man's experiences with stem cell treatment' is available at Booklocker at the following address:

www.booklocker.com/books/2857.html

A percentage of every sale goes to CareCure.

Hey v -

I didn't think of it, I read it on here. There are at least 3 or 4 other guys on this board that are doing it every night. Smokey is one but I can't remember who else is doing. I recall there's a high quad on here who leaves a straight cath in most of the day.

I do 100% condom cath now but my bladder is giving out now after 20+ years of reflex voiding. It sucks having to make a change.

I expect to move to CIC soon and I am planning my logistics. If I retain the external at night I'd definately prefer that. I'd love to not have to wake-up to cath in the middle of the night.

My bladder will decide I suppose...
    Last edited by quadfather; 03-08-2009 at 06:32 PM.

Hi quadfather,

I've been doing this for 15 years, and until recently had no real problems with UTIs. However, I believe I was always colonized.

Anyway, what I do (my caregiver, actually) is first she puts an underpad (chuck) on the side where the bag will be (folded in half for more absorbtion if necessary), then we take another chuck and poke a hole in it near the top and slide the penis through the hole. She then cleans the penis thoroughly with an alcohol swab first, then betadine, after which she inserts a sterile IC. When the tube is in far enough she clips it to the bag using a hairpin (otherwise it slips out), then she tapes the bag to my penis. The final step we use is to put the cath inside a gallon-size Ziploc bag (folding the cath under itself--NOT OVER--and zip up the bag). That may be overkill, but it helps with potential "accidents." That's it. I can sleep through the night.

I have recently started using Bob Clark's peroxide method for avoiding UTIs, but I mix the peroxide with saline--maybe 60-40 peroxide to saline.

Good luck with whatever you end up doing.

Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by WPDaggy View Post
    Anyway, what I do (my caregiver, actually) is first she puts an underpad (chuck) on the side where the bag will be (folded in half for more absorbtion if necessary), then we take another chuck and poke a hole in it near the top and slide the penis through the hole. She then cleans the penis thoroughly with an alcohol swab first, then betadine, after which she inserts a sterile IC. When the tube is in far enough she clips it to the bag using a hairpin (otherwise it slips out), then she tapes the bag to my penis. The final step we use is to put the cath inside a gallon-size Ziploc bag (folding the cath under itself--NOT OVER--and zip up the bag). That may be overkill, but it helps with potential "accidents." That's it. I can sleep through the night.
    Wayne
    What kind of bag? I guess not a bedside night bag, as that would be too big to tape and ziplock bag it.

I also don't understand the 'folding the cath under itself NOT over' part. I can't visualize it. I like the outcome though so any clarity you can provide would be helpful.

Dave

Dave,

I get 120 sterile intermitent caths each month. They hold 1500 ccs. The bags are 16 inches in length. The reason I fold them is to get them into the Ziploc bag and also to give me room to place my hand at my side so I don't put it on the bag. And the reason I fold them under instead of over is becauase if you fold the bottom side up it "pinches" off the flow and will back up before filling the bag.

I meant to say bobby pin not hair pin for clipping the tube in place. And bobby pins have ridges so be sure that your bag is filling up after you clip the tube because I've had it get pinched and stop the urine flow.

If you have any more questions I'll be glad to help.

Quote Originally Posted by quadfather View Post
    This is a pretty appealing concept, can you elaborate on your experience?

How often does it accidently slip out, especially when turning? What's is your UTI history? What kind/size cath do you use? I read somewhere that you tape in on. How exactly are you taping it?
    quadfather, Here's the deal; I do see a urologist for checkups and he has no problems with my "nocturnal voiding system" that I've described below. No scarring, no reflux, no loss in bladder capacity, no UTI's, no stones or calcifications and I drink as much fluid as I want during the day or night. Actually, the more fluid you drink-the better it is if you insert the catheter all night. During the day, I cath with a 14Fr., 16" length Kendall/Dover Rob-Nel PVC catheter. Here's the deal; At night I insert a 14Fr., 16" length Kendall/Dover Red Robinson latex catheter because it is softer and less rigid than the PVC type. I figure if it's going to be in my urethra and bladder all night...softer would be less irritating to the membranes. At night when I get into bed, I first put on my Dale catheter strap around my thigh, secure the drainage bag tubing to the green velcro on the catheter strap, I take the funnel end of the catheter (keeping the rest of the sterile or clean in the package) and plug it into the bedside drainage bag tube, I then get out the Surgilube/KY Jelly tube, tape and tissue, I use the "WetOnes" to disinfect my hands and pecker, I then carefully withdraw the catheter from the package without it touching anything and then insert it into the tube of lubricant. I slowly and gently insert the catheter until I see urine flowing in the drainage bag tubing then advance it maybe another 1/2". I then wipe off the excess lube off my pecker head and any that got on the catheter that is still sticking out. I then use the Transpore tape to secure the catheter to the shaft of my pecker. I use two or three 6" pieces (3" on the pecker and 3" on the catheter) down the shaft (top, bottom, side). Then I wrap a single 4" piece of Elastoplast tape around my pecker, just under the corona but on top of the Transpore tape to be sure the Transpore tape is will stick to my pecker all night. The catheter has never slipped out. It sounds sort of complicated but it's really simple or I wouldn't do it every night and it only takes me a few minutes now. As a precaution, I always lay the drainage bag in a plastic tupperware container on the floor just in case the bag leaks. I always did that anyway. I sleep through the night, can sip on water if I wake up during the night and in the morning, 8 hours later 1500-2000cc of urine is sitting in the bag. I hope this answers some of your questions and feel free to ask me anything. It's worked for me since 2000. I used to get UTI's maybe 4-5 times a year but not one since I've done this. You can always just try it and stop it anytime if it's not working out for you.

smokey and WPDaggy,

My transition to CIC has been easier than I expected except for the night time part. Even with restricting fluids my caths are still way too big (800ml+) after 6 hours. That makes sense I guess as I used to put out 1500ml+ per night when I used an external. I haven't been able to cath in bed very well yet, as I do not have a bed that raises my head.

Thanks for all the details of your methods. Once I gather the specified supplies I'm going to try smokey's method first. Once I finally realized WP is using a cath with a self contained bag it made perfect sense too.

If there are more of you out there that do this, or used to but stopped for some reason, I'd love to hear from you.
    Last edited by quadfather; 03-16-2009 at 08:34 PM.