Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Complete Quads without hand function

Question Complete Quads without hand function

I keep reading about you transferring and using manual wheelchairs.
    How do you transfer & operate a manual chair with no fingers or grip?
    I can't get my head to understand. Thanks

lots of pressure on the palms + utilizing tenodesis.

intentionally contracted fingers help too.

For me I use my palms to push at my wrists to stop and turn. As far as doing weight shifts, I hook my arm over the push bar on the back of my chair and lean forward and side to side to move my weight around. It's worked pretty well as long as there's hair n my seat cushion. I'm getting over sores right now because I had a seat cushion that went flat on me and caused a sore on my right is shield that I'm slowly getting over. I just have to be careful with it and stay on my side as much as possible when I'm in bed. I barely ever get in the chair for more than an hour or two right now.
    C-5/6, 7-9-2000
    Scottsdale, AZ

Make the best out of today because yesterday is gone and tomorrow may never come. Nobody knows that better than those of us that have almost died from spinal cord injury.

Some friends of mine use "quad knobs" on the rims of their manual chairs. These projections stick up at regular intervals around the rims and give their palms a fixed place to push without having any grip.

--THC

I went from 3“ quad pegs to 1/2" knobs coated in rubber. Now I have regular push rims covered in black polyurethane which I can get good close grip by just pushing in on them.

Your index finger underneath the rims and your palm pushing down you can get a pretty good push, wheelies,etc However get wet and its all over, slip sliding away. You have no grip at all.

I use gloves w/ dycem, and push directly on the tires, which gives me better traction. To stop or slow down, I wedge my hand in between the handrim and tire and my glove takes the friction.

You'll need good grip on your push rims. I just ordered a pair of pushblax, cant wait I remembered the days back in rehab, i couldnt even push myself out of the ward :P now i push myself for miles everyday tackling steep slopes just to get myself stronger. As for transferring you would have to work on your balance, standing with leg braces n a walker helps strengthen your trunk muscles n you'll need strong shoulders to lift your butt, the rest is a lot of practice.

I tried quad knobs & I couldn't control going up & down ramps.
    I guess I don't have enough muscles.
    I'm c6-7 incomplete but I've never tried to do anything. Sorry rehab.
    I was told I was complete but now (18 yrs later I find out I'm incomplete)
    Trying to decide if I should try to do some of the things I never got to try.
    You know, would anything be beneficial at this point. 57 yrs old

Thanks for all your tips. I'll post if I try to do anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Mona~on~wheels View Post
    I tried quad knobs & I couldn't control going up & down ramps.
    I guess I don't have enough muscles.
    I'm c6-7 incomplete but I've never tried to do anything. Sorry rehab.
    I was told I was complete but now (18 yrs later I find out I'm incomplete)
    Trying to decide if I should try to do some of the things I never got to try.
    You know, would anything be beneficial at this point. 57 yrs old

Thanks for all your tips. I'll post if I try to do anything.
    Knobs hurt
    push rims are coated with rubber like substance, works well till they're wet.

going down ramps I use my brakes to slow me.

at a c7 IMHO you can certainly be pushing even if it's just around the house.
    Get involved in politics as if your life depended on it, because it does. -- Justin Dart

I shall not tolerate ignorance or hate speech on this site.

To preempt fuente, this is a case for exercise. To control your sped going down ramps use you wheel locks.