Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wheelchair suggestions

Wheelchair suggestions

We're just about ready to start the process of getting Erin a manual chair. We have done some online research, and of course are getting suggestions from her rehab. Erin is C6 complete. We have been impressed with the TiLite chair, but would like any and all suggestions and advice as we get started.

Thanks,

Josh and Erin

Hey guys -

I have a C6/7 injury as of '99 & switched back & forth between a power & a manual for many years. I ditched the power chair for good around the end of '06 with no regrets. It obviously requires more effort to get around in some situations, but it's so much better from both physical & psychological standpoints.

Tips:

- Cantilevered frames (TiLite ZR, Top End Crossfire, Lasher Sport, etc) are popular & will be easy to manuver, not only in use, but in loading/unloading into cars, etc.

- Whatever you look at, keep it simple. Therapists will likely insist that you need a pile of accessories. Accessories = add'l weight & more stuff to deal with getting in the way. If you find that things like armrests, anti-tippers, etc are REALLY needed, then go for it.

- Keep in touch with this forum.

Side note: I'm a new dealer/rep for Marvel: www.marvelwheelchairs.com, a chair which may be worth your consideration as well. It's new to the market but is rather innovative in comparison to some others out here. I'm happy to answer any questions you have about it.

Josh and Erin,

Sorry to hear of your need for a chair, but glad you found Care Cure! Lot's of knowledgeable folks around here and some (like me) just full of opinions.

Most folks first chair doesn't fit them well. This is typically due to a moronic DME rep deciding on the measurements. I recommend getting your hands on a copy of the order form, for whatever chair you decide on, and studying it thoroughly. This is important for enabling you to double check all the DME/Rehab folks measurements yourself.

The truth is, for a first manual chair, they are all about the same. There's just not that much difference between the top contenders, these days (the manufacturers Scott listed, above). If you stick with an adjustable frame for the first time out and you'll be able to really fine tune the seating so that in a couple/few years you can have one made just right for her, without all the nuts and bolts weighing the thing down, coming loose, stripping out, etc.

If you like Tilite, go for it. They are great. The ZRA is a solid chair and also ideal for dialing in the fit. Going from a ZRA to a ZR, down the line, is a common (and sensible) upgrade path, too boot.

He who hears not me but the Logos will say: All is one.

I'm new to this forum, and have only had one chair. It is a TiLite Aero Z. (My insurance wouldn't pay for a titanium chair) I am really pleased with the TiLite and from I have read on here, most everyone else seems to be as well. The ZR and ZRA are probably more popular because they are the titanium models. I hope this helps.

Josh and Erin,

I work for Aero Innovative Research, Inc. the makers of the Flight ultralight wheelchair. If you need a great folding wheelchair check out http://www.airwheelchair.com
    The Flight is the world's lightest folding wheelchair, the world's narrowest folding wheelchair, and rides like a rigid wheelchair due to its patented three dimensional box frame. It is computer machined and has no welding to warp the frame, so you get a precision alignment that most wheelchairs don't offer. Due to our precision alignment many users tell us they have never tried a wheelchair which rolls so easily. 1.5 degrees of toe in or toe out will double your rolling resistance on a smooth surface. Most folding frame wheelchairs can flex worse than that if they are not already that warped right out of the box. If you want rigid wheelchair performance in the world's narrowest folding wheelchair check it out.

Best Regards,
    Keith
    Last edited by Wheelchair Designer; 03-08-2009 at 03:05 AM. Reason: Link did not work.

We have settled on getting Erin a TiLite TR chair, and are working on the specs and fitting, etc. We'd like some suggestions about the hand rims...what works best for a c6 complete quad. As always...thanks so much for all your care and suggestions. This is great.

Josh

Quote Originally Posted by JoshAndErin View Post
    We have settled on getting Erin a TiLite TR chair, and are working on the specs and fitting, etc. We'd like some suggestions about the hand rims...what works best for a c6 complete quad. As always...thanks so much for all your care and suggestions. This is great.

Josh
    For hand rims use natural fit, i don`t try them, but i`ve got in my chair hand rims for quad, and i`m para, and i recomended for everybody, the grip it`s fantastic, but they make your wheel a little more heavy.

Quote Originally Posted by jbinny View Post

i`ve got that ones in my chair and they are very goog
    http://www.ortoracing.com/detalle_pr...Dsubfamilia=61

Quote Originally Posted by JoshAndErin View Post
    We're just about ready to start the process of getting Erin a manual chair. We have done some online research, and of course are getting suggestions from her rehab. Erin is C6 complete. We have been impressed with the TiLite chair, but would like any and all suggestions and advice as we get started.

Thanks,

Josh and Erin
    what will she be doing? Going back home. school?
    NEVER, have I emphasized, NEVER get a chair w/o demo,demo,demo
    Get involved in politics as if your life depended on it, because it does. -- Justin Dart

I shall not tolerate ignorance or hate speech on this site.