Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: VA healthcare team www communication

VA healthcare team www communication

Is anyone using the VA healthcare team web communication (My HealtheVet)? If so, is it responsive, useful, helpfull or other?
    From the time you were born till you ride in a hearse, there is nothing so bad that it couldn't be worse!

All fringe benifits must be authorized by Helen Waite, if you want your SCI fixed go to Helen Waite!

Why be politically correct when you can be right!

I use it to reorder my medications and find it very useful for that.

Edit:

I just logged in and noticed the secure messaging feature. Is that new? If that's what you're referring to I've never used it, but looks good if someone responds back in a timely manner.
    Last edited by doingtimeonmyass; 03-02-2011 at 05:39 PM.

worked great for ordering medication, been awhile since i've used it.

I use secure messaging to talk to my PCP and others on the spinal cord team at my VA SCI Center. They have been very responsive this way, little delay.
    You can also renew prescriptions through secure messaging.

You have to ask your care team at your VA facility about secure messaging. Not all VAs have it yet.
    Last edited by quadvet; 03-04-2011 at 10:43 AM.

I just got a letter today stating that the site and secure messaging is now available at the VA. Before this I haven't heard anything about it. The closest VA is 85-90 miles so this could be a helpful tool.
    From the time you were born till you ride in a hearse, there is nothing so bad that it couldn't be worse!

All fringe benifits must be authorized by Helen Waite, if you want your SCI fixed go to Helen Waite!

Secure messaging is being rolled out gradually at select VA facilities, and even then it may be available only to select services or clinics initially. We don't have it yet. The provider may also opt out, so instead if you e-mail them your message may go to a surrogate instead (often a nurse case manager).

Other features of MyHeathe Vet which will be rolled out soon, again in a gradual fashion, will be the ability to do the following:
    • See your clinic appointments.
    • Make /change clinic appointments.
    • See the results of your lab and other tests.
    • Read some sections of your medical record.
    (KLD)

I guess if an email went to a surrogate then it could just about go anywhere or to anyone having access to that computer, that doesn't sound very secure. Maybe it wouldn't be such a good tool after all?!

No, it would not work that way. If your provider is not participating (or anyone else on your team) then they would have to officially designate a surrogate staff person who would automatically get any of these messages forwarded to them via secure e-mail. It would still be secure as far as privacy issues go. Pretty much the same as if you were to call a clinic and get someone other than your provider screening their calls.

(KLD)

That sounds good because on occasion I have to call and bother the SCI triage nurse at my VA for things like prescription refills expiring and other things that could easily be handled another way.

The person currently in that position is an excellent employee and as good as they come which is hard to find, but seriously overworked IMO. Anything to make that job easier and prevent burn out is a good thing.

I haven't gotten anything from VA about messaging for Lincoln, NE VAMC. I'm impatiently waiting for this.